Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug Out Stoves
4 March 2012, 12:29,
RE: Bug Out Stoves
I've got a gas bottle for a long term bol, and meths stoves made from cans of coke 12 at the last count.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
4 March 2012, 12:35,
(4 March 2012, 12:04)preservefreak Wrote:
(4 March 2012, 11:42)bigpaul Wrote: yes, thats what my hobo stove is, PF, wife bought back a large tin she bought in a charity shop for 50p, i cut a square out of the middle, and thats a hobo stove, use it upside down so the bottom is now the top and is the hotplate.

oh right, I always used it with the plate at the bottom. is there any advantage to using it that way or is it just how you use it?
nope, its just the way i designed it, although with the open end at the bottom its easier to clean out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2012, 12:36,
I've got a 1 pint Kelly kettle, light and easy to use as well as quick.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

4 March 2012, 13:03,
(4 March 2012, 12:35)bigpaul Wrote: nope, its just the way i designed it, although with the open end at the bottom its easier to clean out.

ok, thanks, i'll try that next time I use it.

(4 March 2012, 12:36)Reality Jones Wrote: I've got a 1 pint Kelly kettle, light and easy to use as well as quick.

I really like the look of those. My main problem is that I don't drink tea or coffee. I know they'd be awesome for boiling water to purify it but it seems like a lot of money and weight when I could boil it in a pot. That said I think in a collapse situation having one of those squirreled away at a bug out location would make it worth it's weight in gold.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
4 March 2012, 13:08,
the advantage of the small kelly kettle is that you can use it as a water carrier as well.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

4 March 2012, 13:40,
(4 March 2012, 13:03)preservefreak Wrote: I really like the look of those. My main problem is that I don't drink tea or coffee. I know they'd be awesome for boiling water to purify it but it seems like a lot of money and weight when I could boil it in a pot. That said I think in a collapse situation having one of those squirreled away at a bug out location would make it worth it's weight in gold.

Quality Kelly and similar stoves use their air flow design to ensure they are far more energy and thermally efficient than ordinary cookers. Some are advertised as being able to heat a pint of water or soup to eating temp in under a couple of minutes. Thats both precious fuel and exposure time saved.

4 March 2012, 14:19,
they're really beautiful bits of gear, I'd really like one Smile money money money though. If I was bugging out in winter they'd be worth every ounce of weight too
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
4 March 2012, 18:52,
I'm going with the ultra light camping stove with gas canister system. Simply because it's fast to start, fast to turn off, reliable, quick start, quick shutdown, and it's really not that heavy. Granted some things are going to be lighter. But for the first few days, I want to be nice, warm, and be able to use my hands around the bottom of the cooker, not only to stop the wind, but also to keep my hands warm.

In my opinion, and partially from personal experience, using a gas cooker means you can better control the fire, so can control the style of cooking. It's easier to control the temperature you're cooking at.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 March 2012, 11:31,
I've got a small Kelly Kettle and the cooking kit that goes with it. Great piece of kit. Boils the pint of water in a smidge under 3 minutes. Very efficient. Plus I can use whatever I can get my hands on to burn. Normally start it off with half a hexi, or cotton woll & vaseline, then put twigs etc in there. Although if you're just boiling one pint of water and not going to cook on it afterwards, half a hexi block can see you through.

Very tempted by a jetboil, but then I don't really need it, and it's not big enough to suffice for me and the missus. Probably just stick to my camping stove, or the double ringed one.

I fired up the frontier stove last night, great piece of kit! gets very hot, and with the removable plate you can stick a wok directly over the flames (or you could put a grill over it for some flame grilled burger action!)