Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The biggest threat to your survival......
10 March 2012, 23:23,
The biggest threat to your survival......
well mine anyway is complacency and operating on autopilot. As usual before going to bed last night I ran through the mental checklist, back door locked, front door locked, alarm on dog in the dining room. Imagine my horror when I was awoken at 1 AM with my dog going nuts and sloped downstairs to find the front door open. A neighbour came over and told me they had watched a young guy try every door handle in the street, including theirs, (they were still up). When he tried mine and the door opened he went inside, I had some stranger with bad intentions in my house!! Luckily my best friend happens to be a 10 1/2 stone Dogue de Bordeaux and even though he was the other side of a door his barking did enough to scare the guy off. The whole thing got me thinking. How much of my preparations are based on the assumption that I have the right survival gear, that I know how to use it and even that it still works? Needless to say I have had the kick in the pants needed to check my gear, sharpen my skills and get my fitness levels through the roof. And I'm going to feed my dog treats until he gets fatBig Grin
11 March 2012, 10:11,
RE: The biggest threat to your survival......
Assuming anything is a short cut to trouble, damn glad you are OK though, I admit that after 7 years living way out of town I too got complacent with checking doors, at least twice i have returned from the school run to find I left the door unlocked, and once I went out the front door, into the garage, then went round the side to work in the garden, thus leaving both the front door and garage door wide open for over an hour!!!, I'm slowly getting a grip.

11 March 2012, 10:22,
Thats ok I once went to blackpool for the day years ago leaving the front door open to the wall.
Funny thing is nobody came in...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
11 March 2012, 15:54,
That's really bad. The most dangerous people are those that come into your house at night. Those are the ones that have weapons and are expecting someone to be home. The thief in the day is usually not expecting someone to be home. A bunch of guys cleared out a home a few miles away from where I used to live (3 houses ago) all dressed as movers. The family who's home it was came back from holiday to find everything gone!!!

Good job you have a dog mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 March 2012, 16:07,
2 friends of mine both had dogs, i dog had a plod by the throat (GSD) in the hallway in the middle of the night, the other 1 cornered a copper slinking around outside at 4 in the morning, so yes, if any of you want a tip for a prep, get a good dog, dosent have to be large and it dosent have to be some fantastic breed, a common mutt will do, but get a dog!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2012, 18:09,
My Were -terrier would hump anything to death coming into our house.

11 March 2012, 18:16,
(11 March 2012, 18:09)NorthernRaider Wrote: My Were -terrier would hump anything to death coming into our house.

what a way to go!! i had a male poodle like that when i was youngerTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2012, 18:36,
Warm afternoon today, Rob my neighbour is out working on his caravan, fool is on his knees with his head under the caravan as I walk round the corner with the Were-Terrier, god it was a close call the mutt was on the extension lead and I just managed to press the lock before Rob had a romantic interlude with a sex crazed terrier Smile

11 March 2012, 19:02,
now you know why we have a female terrier, the worst she will do is lick you to death, your perfectly safe if you have a dog biscuit in your pocket!
22 April 2012, 22:53,
Thanks for your concern and apologies for my absence from the forum, have had some redundancy scares and drama. I am still alive Smile I have upgraded the security and put some reactionary gaps in the form of security chains and some other suprises. You may be interested to have an update on the intruder, the cheeky fu#@er has been back trying the doors again!!!! The wife has banned me from leaving the door unlocked and waiting up, dog in one hand, baseball bat in the other. Spoilsport Wink