Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sleeping System for my BOB
12 March 2012, 01:10,
Sleeping System for my BOB
Hi Everyone

This is a follow on thread from my desire to use a basha. I'll describe my ideas and opinions on the items I'm planning to be using for my bug out sleeping kit.

Please note that what I'm trying to do is cut out as much weight as possible, as I believe bugging out will need to be fast paced, and packing up will be fast paced too. You may need to bug out from your bug out location. So double packing needs to be pretty quick too.

Basha: 500g
This is my primary shelter idea. Right now I'm learning about them, but intend to get one and test it out on a camping trip next month with Binary Ninja (000111001). The reason for a basha is that it's a hell of a light lighter than a tent.

Bivi: 600g
This is only going to be needed against rain and wind for the first few days. I'll be felling a couple of trees to bring my sleeping area off the bare ground. This is to protect the sleeping bag from the outside elements, but mainly water while sleeping on the ground under the basha.

Sleeping Mat: 900g
This is a pretty ultra light item. I've got the Vango red one (can't think of the name), but it's lined with space blanket material, so reflects back heat, and it's self inflating. I know it's not the lightest one around, but it's still a pretty light, yet robust one, which is why it's a good option for me. This will be put inside the bivi, but under the sleeping bag. I want to keep this is as good a quality as possible.

Sleeping bag: 450g
It's another ultra light item. Again, I'm cutting out as much weight as possible. It's only a 3 season (it's actually a 'late 3 season, meaning it's a great 3 season, but not great at sub zero temps), but the sleeping mat will be reflecting back a load of heat with it's lining, and so will my next item, the thermal liner. So all in all, it should be substantial for as low as -9 degrees.

Sleeping Thermal Liner: 400g
This is a beaut of an item. The specific one I'm going to get is the Sea to Summit Thermalite Extreme, which apparently adds 15 degrees to the internal temperature. It was recommended to me by a guy that goes ice climbing in the arctic circle, so I'm taking his word for the quality.

Sleeping bag internal liner: 150-300g
This is my last item. The idea of this is nothing special. It's just to keep the inside of my sleeping system nice and clean from sweat. I plan on carrying 2 of these, but they will probably just be cotton, although I am playing with the idea of carrying a silk one, just for that time when my spirits get a little low, and I need a small flavour of luxury.

All in all, this system will be idea for all year round.

4.05kg total sleeping kit weight. Including the little bags they all come in, the total kit will be 4.5kg

Considering you can buy tents that cost 3.2kg, it might sound a little heavy. Before you say it is heavy, you'll still need the sleeping mat, the liners and the sleeping bag itself.

My removing the tent and replacing it with a basha and bivi, I'll have transformed a 3.2 kg piece of kit, into a 2 item kit that weights 1.1kg.

As for secondary bugging out, the process will be much quicker, stuffing everything into a bag, than it will be taking down a tent and all that stuff. At least with a bivi and basha, you can stuff the bivi into your bag, and the basha can be secured with quick releasing knots, which makes it a pretty quick secondary bug out system.

I hope this helps someone out there. The system is for fast movement and rapid re-extraction from an area. Ideally I want to be able to get the kit into my bag in less than 4 minutes. It wouldn't be prettily tied up, folded well, packed like a parcel, and all that. It would just be taken down, then rammed into the open top of the bag. If it stays in place, that counts as being 'packed' for my purposes.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 March 2012, 10:05,
RE: Sleeping System for my BOB
On this subject I think you need to learn from your expeiences in the field what will work for you, what wont and whats not worth packing.

12 March 2012, 10:23,
that looks really comprehensive, thanks. nice tip on the thermal liner. I've used those cotton ones for years, and even though they're really thin they make the bag warmer, also when it's hot I use them just by themselves to help myself sleep (I know it's psychological but I sleep easier if I'm covered)

If you haven't bought the bivi yet this might be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLi...t2i0Aqs%3D
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
12 March 2012, 11:13,
Personally I'd bin the two liners and use the extra weight to get a warmer dossbag.Don't put the kip mat inside the bivibag unless you sleep flat and don't move at night.
12 March 2012, 11:38,
Lightweight waterproof sleeping bag, basha sheet and hammock
http://www.ddhammocks.com/products

12 March 2012, 11:45,
(12 March 2012, 11:13)g79 Wrote: Personally I'd bin the two liners and use the extra weight to get a warmer dossbag.Don't put the kip mat inside the bivibag unless you sleep flat and don't move at night.

I get what you're saying, but I'm trying to keep the sleeping bag as clean as possible and in as good a condition too. To do that, being able to change the inner liner is important. Also, having the liners allows the system to be used year round. In the winter, I'll be nice and comfortable. In the summer, I won't be sweltering under an arctic sleeper. If we lived in a colder climate, I would definitely be scrapping the thermal liner and just getting an arctic bag. But since summers are pretty good weather, I'll keep the liners, if that makes sense?

As for the mat, the reason for keeping it in the bivi is to keep it protected from the elements. Because it's an ultra light item, they are not super robust. Also, because it's bright red, it would be really visible.

(12 March 2012, 10:05)NorthernRaider Wrote: On this subject I think you need to learn from your expeiences in the field what will work for you, what wont and whats not worth packing.

Yeah mate, I think that'll end up being the easiest thing.

I'll write up about it on my next camping trip with Binary Ninja and AlyBear.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
13 March 2012, 07:33,
Sometimes more is less
Failure is NOT an option