Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Yorkshirelass
15 March 2012, 15:34,
RE: Hello from Yorkshirelass
hello yorkshirelass from deepest Devon. dont get too hung up about hordes streaming out from the towns( i note you say towns not cities, what numbers of population are we talking about?) i reckon most townies will stay away from the countryside especially if they wouldnt go there under normal circumstances, most townies will head out to join other relatives in other towns. the fact that you are down a long farm track will work in your favour and put most off the idea.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 March 2012, 16:21,
Hi Yorkshirelass.

Welcome to the site/forum. Good to hear about your situation. Want to swap? haha

In fairness, if I were in your situation, I'd start digging up my garden and placing caches. Also, if finances permitted, I'd build an underground bomb shelter. Probably built from a steel carrier box crate thing. But I'm probably more extreme than most haha.

The caches would be a good idea though. It means you know you always have supplies if you leave and come back. Also, it's hidden, so people don't know you have stuff available. Cache is another word for hidden storage haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 March 2012, 16:24, (This post was last modified: 15 March 2012, 16:24 by mikebratcher69.)
yes but with a shotgun or firearm of any kind if your not confident in its use, amd it gets knocked out of your hands it can be used against you.
Alot of people arent willing to shoot first and ask questions later ARE YOU???
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
15 March 2012, 17:04,
(15 March 2012, 15:01)Yorkshirelass Wrote: Thanks for that. I have double glazing and am considering the laminated glass (quite cheap it seems). Im not convinced about the thorny bushes though because if people are desperate they willl simply climb stone walls to avoid them and I cant secure the entire perimeter with them any way. Also do you not think barbed wire says "someone lives here and has something you want".

I am in the process of training the ponies to be used as pack animals (well one of them) rather than pull a cart as the ground around here is too rough for a cart and I would avoid roads at all costs if I had to leave. Thay are very strong and manoevrable little beasties and can withstand extremes of weather and subsist on meagre rations. Ideal survival companion in my mind. In the USA horses are commonly used as pack animals but its difficult to get the right gear in this country.

My gut feeling is a gun but the registration process looks complex. I may consider a rifle type air gun which to the layperson looks just like a rifle (as deterant) and does not need a firearms licence.

OK if you cannot secure your perimeter then stash your cache, IE assemble your food, valuables, essential kit, spare clothes, extra food, medical kit, etc in sealed plastic tubs and bury the buggers in some place around your area,so that after the sheeple have passed through, You still need a BOB.
What if they decide to move in ? you need to find a way to make the place unwelcoming for them so other folks I know have obtained or made some truly foul odious smelling liquids out of sulpher, rotten egs etc, you can hide open container or dishes of foul smelling substances around the house that hopefully wil persuade your unwanted visiters that something rotten is in there. Failing that cut the water, power etc off. Your choices are limited to fortify the place or leaving it wide open with nowt worth staying for.
Barbed wire is a double edged sword, it may advertise your presence but equally it will tell some folks ithis place is defended go look elsewhere.

How about one poney for pack and one you to ride?, or two pack horses, either way those little critters will be very valuable after TSHTF as food, beasts of burdon, of super off road transport.

Get a crossbow or longbow and learn how to use it, Your home, you are on your own so you have to learn and be willing to fight for your home. Forget the authorities they cannot and will not help you.

15 March 2012, 17:52,
Cheers for the prompt advice. Any comments onn my gear list ear;lier in this thread. You do seem to be an authority on the subject.

(15 March 2012, 17:04)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(15 March 2012, 15:01)Yorkshirelass Wrote: Thanks for that. I have double glazing and am considering the laminated glass (quite cheap it seems). Im not convinced about the thorny bushes though because if people are desperate they willl simply climb stone walls to avoid them and I cant secure the entire perimeter with them any way. Also do you not think barbed wire says "someone lives here and has something you want".

I am in the process of training the ponies to be used as pack animals (well one of them) rather than pull a cart as the ground around here is too rough for a cart and I would avoid roads at all costs if I had to leave. Thay are very strong and manoevrable little beasties and can withstand extremes of weather and subsist on meagre rations. Ideal survival companion in my mind. In the USA horses are commonly used as pack animals but its difficult to get the right gear in this country.

My gut feeling is a gun but the registration process looks complex. I may consider a rifle type air gun which to the layperson looks just like a rifle (as deterant) and does not need a firearms licence.

OK if you cannot secure your perimeter then stash your cache, IE assemble your food, valuables, essential kit, spare clothes, extra food, medical kit, etc in sealed plastic tubs and bury the buggers in some place around your area,so that after the sheeple have passed through, You still need a BOB.
What if they decide to move in ? you need to find a way to make the place unwelcoming for them so other folks I know have obtained or made some truly foul odious smelling liquids out of sulpher, rotten egs etc, you can hide open container or dishes of foul smelling substances around the house that hopefully wil persuade your unwanted visiters that something rotten is in there. Failing that cut the water, power etc off. Your choices are limited to fortify the place or leaving it wide open with nowt worth staying for.
Barbed wire is a double edged sword, it may advertise your presence but equally it will tell some folks ithis place is defended go look elsewhere.

How about one poney for pack and one you to ride?, or two pack horses, either way those little critters will be very valuable after TSHTF as food, beasts of burdon, of super off road transport.

Get a crossbow or longbow and learn how to use it, Your home, you are on your own so you have to learn and be willing to fight for your home. Forget the authorities they cannot and will not help you.

15 March 2012, 18:37,
(15 March 2012, 17:52)Yorkshirelass Wrote: Cheers for the prompt advice. Any comments onn my gear list ear;lier in this thread. You do seem to be an authority on the subject.

No Ma'am I'm definately not an authority on this, an amatuer at best.

You have a very comprehensive kit list, well thought out but to my eyes it looks slightly heavy, and there is at first glance a lot of duplication of fire lighting for example. I would need to know more about you to try and even give an educated guess.

I've looked at your list twice and I just dont know, I like thoroughness in planning and back ups, but this looks like a heck of an amount of kit for one prepper to have about them, I'm afraid to say, but sorry but I would need to sit down with you and go through the kit item by item , ...... Now I'm concerned I may offend or annoy you which is not what I want to do, but I dont feel competant to comment on your kit layout without far more information. Perhaps either the other females in our community or some of the Yorkshire preppers could assist you on a one to one basis to go through your very comprehansive kit. But from afar I guesstimate your possibly / probably over loaded ?
Confused

15 March 2012, 18:38, (This post was last modified: 15 March 2012, 18:43 by Prep Girl.)
Hello and welcome from another lone female, sadly I'm not in such a good location as you are, if I were I would be applying for a shotgun licence,but it would draw to much attention to me, someone applying for a shotgun on my estate? my house would be the first the police or army would come knocking shtf, if you can afford it do it! us Women will have to be on the ball and ahead of the game, it's all about a good hiding place not at home, some where close enough that you can get to in a hurry but far enough away from the house so you can see what's going on without being seen and weapons to defend yourself.
As for ( who ever said don't recall) people not heading out to the country side looking for food I don't agree, it's in the local papers and msm almost every week, cows being slaughtered, skinned and boned out where there stand in the fields, pigs even swans being killed for food, allotments are being raided, if I was hungry the first thing I'd think of was all them farmers in the country side growing crops and keeping animals, plus anyone with half a brain would want to get as far away from the cities as they could.
Also a good use for bungees, is if you can secure fixtures? to attach the bungee to behind your front/back door, when kicked in it gives added protection, only a minute or to before they realise why the door won't go down but a minute or two could safe your life.
15 March 2012, 18:50,
Can anyone else work out the system YL is using on her various kits, I cant work out whats EDC, Whats Personal, Whats Jacket is jacket part of EDC, Whats handbag is that EDC or GHB, What is personal is the stuff on her key ring EDC, Jacket, Bag or sommat else. I'm sure theres a practical system in place but i cant work it out, Can others help me make sense of her system?

15 March 2012, 19:24,
(15 March 2012, 18:38)Prep Girl Wrote: Hello and welcome from another lone female, sadly I'm not in such a good location as you are, if I were I would be applying for a shotgun licence,but it would draw to much attention to me, someone applying for a shotgun on my estate? my house would be the first the police or army would come knocking shtf, if you can afford it do it! us Women will have to be on the ball and ahead of the game, it's all about a good hiding place not at home, some where close enough that you can get to in a hurry but far enough away from the house so you can see what's going on without being seen and weapons to defend yourself.
As for ( who ever said don't recall) people not heading out to the country side looking for food I don't agree, it's in the local papers and msm almost every week, cows being slaughtered, skinned and boned out where there stand in the fields, pigs even swans being killed for food, allotments are being raided, if I was hungry the first thing I'd think of was all them farmers in the country side growing crops and keeping animals, plus anyone with half a brain would want to get as far away from the cities as they could.
Also a good use for bungees, is if you can secure fixtures? to attach the bungee to behind your front/back door, when kicked in it gives added protection, only a minute or to before they realise why the door won't go down but a minute or two could safe your life.
I guess that would be me PG(about people not heading out into the country)Big Grin i think the places where you mentioned animals being killed, are probably near a big city that has a large immigrant population probably east european. most British(white) people dont have anything to do with the countryside-after all they might get their shoes dirty! and anyway most Brits under 40 dont know where their food comes from anyway(Duh! the supermarket?) and is far to concerned about their foreign holiday to ever go near a farm. in a major event most city people are going to sit still and wail! and wait for the govt to come and save them(that what its there for-right?)Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 March 2012, 20:09,
(15 March 2012, 19:24)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 March 2012, 18:38)Prep Girl Wrote: Hello and welcome from another lone female, sadly I'm not in such a good location as you are, if I were I would be applying for a shotgun licence,but it would draw to much attention to me, someone applying for a shotgun on my estate? my house would be the first the police or army would come knocking shtf, if you can afford it do it! us Women will have to be on the ball and ahead of the game, it's all about a good hiding place not at home, some where close enough that you can get to in a hurry but far enough away from the house so you can see what's going on without being seen and weapons to defend yourself.
I guess that would be me PG(about people not heading out into the country)Big Grin i think the places where you mentioned animals being killed, are probably near a big city that has a large immigrant population probably east european. most British(white) people dont have anything to do with the countryside-after all they might get their shoes dirty! and anyway most Brits under 40 dont know where their food comes from anyway(Duh! the supermarket?) and is far to concerned about their foreign holiday to ever go near a farm. in a major event most city people are going to sit still and wail! and wait for the govt to come and save them(that what its there for-right?)Big Grin

I'm afraid it's the immigrant population I'm more worried about, some of these people are no better then Animals, they think nothing of raping young girls maiming their Children so they get more money out begging, driving round schools last year trying to pull kids in to vans, we all know where them kids were heading, the list is endless! fooking Animals! god help any one that crosses their path shtf, raped, beaten then eaten! they will sooner or later need to go food hunting further afield, and some of them are gona have big Guns and military training! no morals, no ethics, I need to move house lol, but no matter where you live I think it will only be a matter of time before some one comes calling.