Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reality Check
24 March 2012, 10:06,
Reality Check
Well, after some in depth discussions with my other half over the last few days and his discovery I was looking at this forum, I have now come to the conclusion that I was becoming paranoid about tshtf scenarios and the like.

I mean if we lived in the USA with all the attendant risks of hurricanes, tornados and earthquakes, I can see some logic in prepping and I did sort of get carried along with the wave so to speak, at least for a couple of weeks. However it seems to me there is negligible risk here in the Uk , apart from economic meltdown in which case survival tools won't be of much use.

In addition if it came to teotwawki then I am not sure I would want to be scrabbling around in the countryside hunting bunnies in desperation. If it really comes to that scenario then most houses and property would be destroyed (and the people in them!).

The other point that alarmed me a bit about this site is that people almost seem to be "looking forward" to an event, which in my estimation has about a 5% chance of happening or in other words, 95% of not happening.

Anyway, after my reality check I am giving away the contents of my BOB and other bits and bobs (except the fenix torch and keyring torch which are useful on an every day basis) to my best mate who goes camping regularly for a birthday pressie. At least she will make use of them and will doubtless be chuffed to bits. The 20 extra tins of smoked mussels I bought will soon be put to good use!.

So the best of luck folks, maybe there will be an "event", but for me I am going to focus instead on living in the moment and enjoying life as it is instead of prepping for something that will most likely never happen.

Thanks for the welcome messages but for me, and after discussions with my partner, reality has kicked in so I am off to enjoy life and stop worrying about the future!.
24 March 2012, 10:16,
RE: Reality Check
No worries YL - all the best Smile

Ter
24 March 2012, 11:19,
Some of the worse sheep are preppers YL and I agree with most of what you said, good luck.
24 March 2012, 11:26,
Have fun. Smile
24 March 2012, 11:28,
That's fair enough YL. Wish you the best and let's hope that you're right and nothing happens.

In fairness, lots of preppers can get carried away with stuff. Personally, I make sure I enjoy my prepping activities, which means I get to have an awesome life! I'm climbing, running, hiking, camping, doing MMA, and loads of other things. I spend more money on activities than I do on actual preps, like tins and stuff.

The main thing is that you look out for the risks and know what you'd do if anything happened. As long as you're happy and safe, it's all good.

Take care and God bless.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 March 2012, 12:14,
Good luck YL BTW the UK actually gets more tornadoes than the US , its just ours are much smaller. Survivalism is not for everyone so gopd bless and nice to have met you.
NR

24 March 2012, 12:55,
(24 March 2012, 12:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: Good luck YL BTW the UK actually gets more tornadoes than the US , its just ours are much smaller. Survivalism is not for everyone so gopd bless and nice to have met you.
NR

thaks for the surprisingly pleasant comments everyone as I was expecting some orrible ones!

One the plus side whilst I may be "defecting" if thats the right word , the OH has asked me to move in with him which means that the ponies will have to go (boo hoo) as he lives in a large town but at least I will sleep better at night (in more ways than one!!) and feel more secure so to speak.

24 March 2012, 13:44,
Bye YL good luck with the move
24 March 2012, 13:45,
But the ponies! D:
24 March 2012, 15:03,
Good luck. Pop in and give us a wave from time to time.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart