Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage and Introduction
4 October 2011, 22:11,
Food Storage and Introduction
Hi guys,

My first post here. I was glad to find this forum, the big USA forums are not really that relevant to us in the UK, although there is still useful info to be gleaned from them.

I've always been interested in survival. I was one of those kids that got the SAS Handbook for Christmas instead of the Beano annual.

I've been reading up recently on how to prepare for the worst case scenario and how to protect myself and my family. I will probably have lots of questions. Big Grin

Anyway, food. I've started stockpiling tinned and dried food. Beans, rice, etc. I aim to have enough to survive on for at least 6 months if I need it. I have a secure, dry, cool and well hidden place to stock it on my property. My question is, what kinds of foods are you lot stockpiling? The whole beans and rice thing is well and good, but it's a bit bland. Any pointers on storage and other types of food that will last long enough not to need replaced for at least 2 to 3 years?

Finally, this forum is an excellent idea. I was looking for an introductions section, did I miss it? I look forward to sharing my pessimism with you all. Tongue

5 October 2011, 07:01,
RE: Food Storage and Introduction
Hi Boy Scout

I think the thing with food is to store what you eat, preferably stuff with a long shelf life that doesn't need any form of refridgeration.

Unless you are rich and have plenty of space it is impractical to store only tins as 3 tins a day per person works out at over a thousand tins per year per person. Rice is ideal as a 20kg bag can be bought for less than £20 and can provide up to 100 days worth of food for one person and doesn't take up much space. I agree with you that it is bland so storing enough tins etc to spice up rice meals would help, but as a staple food rice it is ideal. Stored in tubs with mylar and it will last many years

It's also worth storing some big tubs of wheat grain as it lasts for decades (unlike flour), just remember to store a grain mill as well Smile
5 October 2011, 11:23,
(4 October 2011, 22:11)boy scout Wrote: I was looking for an introductions section, did I miss it? I look forward to sharing my pessimism with you all. Tongue

Welcome. Always willing to discuss with a pessimist. Makes you consider if you have actually thought things through.

There is no introduction per se on the forum but there is on the main site. Go to Survival UK Main and search.

As as many questions as you need to. That is what these sites are about.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 October 2011, 14:59,
JD1, Where can I obtain 20 lbs of rice for less than £20? I can obtain wheat in bulk at a good price but not rice. I live 140 miles from the nearest city. Hello Boy Scout, are you really a boy scout or are you an ex boy scout? It is a very good movement and many of its teachings and camps are good training for survival. I enjoyed pioneering when I was a scout. We built a log cabin as our HQ many years ago. Kenneth Eames.
5 October 2011, 16:30,
Kenneth, Makro do 20 kg bags of long grain white rice for £15.49 and I expect other cash & carries would be similar. Tesco and Sainsburys are also doing 1kg bags of the same for £0.40p a bag
5 October 2011, 18:52,
(5 October 2011, 14:59)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Hello Boy Scout, are you really a boy scout or are you an ex boy scout? It is a very good movement and many of its teachings and camps are good training for survival. I enjoyed pioneering when I was a scout. We built a log cabin as our HQ many years ago. Kenneth Eames.

Hi Kenneth, I'm an ex-scout. Many years an ex-scout. I always feel put on the spot when choosing a forum name. That choice may not have been the best one. My son is a scout now.

6 October 2011, 05:22,
Hello Boy Scout, I'm pleased your son is a scout. Do you do any scouting with him? Its a great life. I loved pioneering, building towers, pole buildings, bridges etc.. However, those days are over now, but thinking about it gives me a warm glow. I have a workshop here, and reading your entry has made me think about getting some poles and storing them, they might well be of use if a survival situation arises. There is a lot of Forestry in this area and a large number of fallen trees due to the many storms this year. Kenneth Eames.
6 October 2011, 12:55,
Kenneth, I don't do much scouting at all these days. He loves it. I have a workshop as well and it's chock full of old wood, poles and all sorts. I never throw anything away. I'm a firm believer that everything is useful.
9 January 2012, 23:12,
(4 October 2011, 22:11)sc1 Wrote: Hi guys,

My first post here. I was glad to find this forum, the big USA forums are not really that relevant to us in the UK, although there is still useful info to be gleaned from them.

I've always been interested in survival. I was one of those kids that got the SAS Handbook for Christmas instead of the Beano annual.

I've been reading up recently on how to prepare for the worst case scenario and how to protect myself and my family. I will probably have lots of questions. Big Grin

Anyway, food. I've started stockpiling tinned and dried food. Beans, rice, etc. I aim to have enough to survive on for at least 6 months if I need it. I have a secure, dry, cool and well hidden place to stock it on my property. My question is, what kinds of foods are you lot stockpiling? The whole beans and rice thing is well and good, but it's a bit bland. Any pointers on storage and other types of food that will last long enough not to need replaced for at least 2 to 3 years?

Finally, this forum is an excellent idea. I was looking for an introductions section, did I miss it? I look forward to sharing my pessimism with you all. Tongue

10 January 2012, 06:59,
Survival, There is plenty of wisdom on this site, your problem will be finding sufficient time to read it all. I've been on the forum since the start but I find it difficult to keep up to date due to lack of time. There are insufficient hours in the day for me to do the things I need to. Kenneth Eames.