Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
23 November 2013, 19:54,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
This thread is starting to get like the us gun forums where they say .22 is no good for home defence & you need your own bazooka instead. I wouldn't like to be shot with a .22 or a pistol xbow bolt.

Yes it's a 1 time use weapon, but the 1 time might be the only time you need it. If it doesnt eliminate the threat, follow up with a different means of attack.

Honestly, if you point a pistol xbow at 100 people (individually of course), I bet 99 of them would be afraid of it & back off. Yes they are cheap & not well built. Yes the bolts are flimsy. But at the end of the day, they still launch sharp pointy things at speed & can kill you.
23 November 2013, 20:08,
this one just wont die lol....there appears to be two camps, the bowmen and the shooters , i would use one if it was all i had to hand and i did consider getting a couple til i got to fire two of my friends , they didn't inspire me , 4 shots and the string(don't know the technical term)was nearly wrecked the bolts were very flimsy and light , the trigger was almost certainly the worst trigger i've ever pulled(and i've fired some pretty woefull archaic black powder boomers in my time) and the build quality!!!!!!! i thought it may be an option for the non shooters in my party but sadly not for me and mine...if i do go down that road it will be a crossbow not a pistol crossbow....broadheads are what you need.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
23 November 2013, 20:18, (This post was last modified: 23 November 2013, 20:20 by Geordie_Rob.)
(23 November 2013, 20:08)Midnitemo Wrote: this one just wont die lol....there appears to be two camps, the bowmen and the shooters , i would use one if it was all i had to hand and i did consider getting a couple til i got to fire two of my friends , they didn't inspire me , 4 shots and the string(don't know the technical term)was nearly wrecked the bolts were very flimsy and light , the trigger was almost certainly the worst trigger i've ever pulled(and i've fired some pretty woefull archaic black powder boomers in my time) and the build quality!!!!!!! i thought it may be an option for the non shooters in my party but sadly not for me and mine...if i do go down that road it will be a crossbow not a pistol crossbow....broadheads are what you need.

I had 1 a few years back & agree they're bloody awful to shoot. But if someone was wanting to cause me harm I'd rather shoot 1 of those then follow up with something else than not & just go straight for the fist fight - I'd probably lose that.

I guess the ultimate answer is don't put all your eggs in 1 basket & rely on only 1 thing. Everything will have their use in the correct situation.
23 November 2013, 22:42,
They are very basic that is for sure but I have fired over 40 bolts from my pistol bow without harm to the serving, perhaps you chaps are not waxing your strings enough. As for their effectiveness in home security. One person can load and fire a bolt about every ten seconds from the 80 lb pistol bow, but consider this all things being relative, in our house everyone has a pistol bow plus one spare, so we have 4 x bows. So some intruder first getting 4 bolts fired at them, then being followed up with 3 arrows from everyones compound bows !!!!!!.

Pistol bows are cheap, crude but effective, but because they are cheap you can buy two !!? or have a pistol bow and small compound.

24 November 2013, 10:53,
I bought one then bought another for the wife! I saw one on fleabay the other day going cheap!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 November 2013, 15:38,
In the uk i'd love a .22lr over pretty much anything....we don't have an abundance of large game or predators , a well aimed .22 is capable of killing deer...9p a round or less...can be silent/compact,no recoil to speak off and semi auto...lethal to humans with propper aiming.
24 November 2013, 17:04,
Talking to a fellow prepper and he said his one wish/dream was to be able to have a submachine gun legally....he has a .22 already...i'm so envious and with a few judicious mods he's nearly there...a hogue rubber stock , 12.5 inch .920 target barrel and some bx25 mags and he's 85% there and legal in the uk....yes you have to pull the trigger 25 times to empty the mag but thats a good thing in my mind...three rounds can be fired in under a second and with hardly any recoil you will stay pretty much on target...add in a cheap laser or red dot for low light...fantastic gun.
24 November 2013, 17:33,
(24 November 2013, 17:04)Midnitemo Wrote: Talking to a fellow prepper and he said his one wish/dream was to be able to have a submachine gun legally....he has a .22 already...i'm so envious and with a few judicious mods he's nearly there...a hogue rubber stock , 12.5 inch .920 target barrel and some bx25 mags and he's 85% there and legal in the uk....yes you have to pull the trigger 25 times to empty the mag but thats a good thing in my mind...three rounds can be fired in under a second and with hardly any recoil you will stay pretty much on target...add in a cheap laser or red dot for low light...fantastic gun.

this is getting like the American forums : "guns,guns,guns"!!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 November 2013, 19:52,
I like guns!....can you tell?....ok i'll shut up now lol
24 November 2013, 21:05,
(24 November 2013, 19:52)Midnitemo Wrote: I like guns!....can you tell?....ok i'll shut up now lol

Start a gun topic Midnitemo. I'm also getting very interested in them.