Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
26 December 2013, 15:21,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
Got to disagree mon ami, many pistol calibres rarely kill just as pistol crossbows ratrely kill, but even a wound from a modern broadhead full size crossbow is going to be as destructive as many fragmentable rifle rounds.

26 December 2013, 15:33, (This post was last modified: 26 December 2013, 15:45 by Midnitemo.)
in my world it won't be .38spl or 9mm it will be 00buck....9 lead balls thumping into you at upwards of 1300 feet per second each ball weighing approx 62 grains or the same weight as a british army 5.56 round...thats hit by a salvo of 9 projectiles simultaneously...not many will get back up from that and if they did they would be getting another 9 in short order.

just like these

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 December 2013, 16:12,
Shall we say " I agree 100%" and consider the Mossberg 500 the best tool for the job, specially firing home made rifled slugs Cool

If I could only have ONE gun it would be a shotty prolly with gauge reducing inserts to give it a broader diet of ammo.

26 December 2013, 17:04,
The X ray photos from different angles both show the arrow head in profile, which suggests to me that it is flapping loose in skin, probably the ear lobe and some soft tissue behind it. This must be one of the softest parts of the head, short of the eyes, and the bolt still didn't penetrate far enough to do damage.

Now I couldn't care less if people want to buy these things, but be realistic.
26 December 2013, 19:48,
The text says its embedded in the salivery glands which are a fair way in Smile

26 December 2013, 20:04,
This discussion seems to have become entrenched.

The fact is people survive wounds from all the weapons we talk about. Just some more than others and I think it is fair to say you have more chance of surviving a pistol crossbow bolt than many firearms. Pistol crossbows would be few people tool of choice for home defence.

However;
It does intimidate.
It is legal in the UK
It can be enhanced legally as well. Broadheads etc.
It can injure or kill.

If it is all you have it is better than nothing.

I have two and 100 bolts.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 December 2013, 21:18, (This post was last modified: 26 December 2013, 22:17 by NorthernRaider.)
Anything that maintains DISTANCE between you and your attacker is a good thing in my book, and thats what the pistol bow does, first it intimidates, second it can make an aggressor pause or even retreat, third it allows you to do harm to an agressor at a distance. I could fire a pistol bolt or 45ACP round but if it misses ...........................

Forgot to mention that when I modified the bolts as per Wet & Drys instructions and test fired them into a lump of pork still covered in the pigs skin I got penetration that varied between 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 inches at 10 yards

27 December 2013, 00:27, (This post was last modified: 27 December 2013, 00:29 by Lightspeed.)
I read NR's exasperated reply and my mind was thinking that its all about probability.. and midnight's reply echoed those self same words

But I was thinking differently.

A pistol crossbow may not be a significantly powerful weapon, that's true. But in UK most people are both law abiding and also indoctrinated against firearms. There are very few fire arms per head of population. There are also very few crossbows per head of population.

Raiders entering other people's homes would mostly expect to be confronted by scared residents armed with blunt instruments or knives. Neither the raider nor the resident will be in any hurry to actually engage so armed, as there is a high risk of significant injury. Shouting and posturing would probably be the pre-cursor to actual physical engagement, and that would give the raider a chance to back out and think of another way of getting in. Being confronted by a crossbow of any type in the hands of a confident resident will immediately put that resident in a stronger position. Especially so if they loose off a shot at a raider.

Its about demonstrating to a raider that the resident has the capability and intent to harm him, and the ability to do so at a greater range than he can harm them. Its about making the resident's property less attractive to the raider with the intent of sending him on his way to look for easier pickings.

In this context a pistol crossbow may be viable. Especially so if it is the only range weapon the resident has.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 December 2013, 17:56,
>PPP!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
31 December 2013, 03:34, (This post was last modified: 31 December 2013, 04:17 by CharlesHarris.)
If confronted with multiple intruders, at close, inside the house ranges, a catapult is probably faster to execute rapid followup shots, especially if you have a pocketful of buckshot or other suitable dense ammunition which imparts maximum kinetic energy.

They are easily home made, and practice is cheap and convenient. Everyone in the household should have their own and learn how to use it. If firearms and ammunition are not available, these are probably the least expensive and simple improvised weapon for all family members to develop defensive skills with. A family group each armed with a "cat" and pocketfull of buckshot, can provide an effective defence, if they have the skill and determination to use them.

In testing I did some years ago, typical velocities for lead US 00 buckshot of 8.6m diameter, and weighing 3.9 grams fired from a "Wrist Rocket" was in the range of 45-50 m/s with 10-12cm penetration in 10% gelatine tissue simulant. An 11mm diameter lead ball weighing 8.2 grams attained 40 m/s and penetrated 14cm of gelatine.

I would not care to be struck with either.

NECESSARY CORRECTION which should be obvious enough, but for the record, US 00 buckshot is 8.6mm (.338 inch) in diameter.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA