Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
24 October 2013, 12:58,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
You can get a full sized Crossbow with an 90lb prod.Look at the Chace Wind bow at Merlin Archery

http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/jandao-ch...black.html

A direct copy of the Excalibur Vixen.On a related note i never get asked for my shotgun certificate when i buy cartridges (though i do go in the shop a lot and do a lot of clay shooting)

As for the possibility of over penetration with a larger bow.Well it's a mute point.If you're going to use a crossbow against an intruder common sense would dictate that you put a broadhead on the bolt.An arrow kills by blood loss,so it doesn't matter if the arrow/bolt gets a pass through. In fact a pass through would be more advantageous .

Shoot someone with intent to harm you with a pistol bow and a target point and there's a high risk of you not walking away from the encounter(I'm talking pshtf,obviously shooting an intruder when the rule of order still applies will get you slapped with a murder charge,and if you aren't shooting to kill you shouldn't fire in the first place).Just my thoughts.

Of course all the above only applies if you're capable of cocking a strung weapon.For the elderly or infirm there's always a blank firer pistol/starter pistol,or even an air horn.Anything that makes a lot of noise and throws out the unexpected could possibly help.A pre charged .177 at 12ftlb could be pretty handy (especially a multi shot) but they come with a pretty hefty price tag.

I'm sure I'm rambling nowDodgy
24 October 2013, 13:51,
what is the difference between an 80LB pistol crossbow and a full size 90LB one apart from the length of the bolts? if anyone wants a full sized crossbow stock I've got one going spare-but no prod or string....make me an offer or swap!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2013, 14:25,
I think there is a difference bigpaul due to the difference in draw lengths. Energy = force x distance, the full size bow will transfer more energy to the bolt because of the longer draw length, i.e it will exert it's force for a greater distance, transferring more kinetic energy to the bolt than the shorter pistol bow, the larger bolt will also have more mass so will hit it's target with a much heavier blow than the smaller pistol bolt.

I wouldn't like to hit by either of them though Smile
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
24 October 2013, 15:08,
(24 October 2013, 11:00)Midnitemo Wrote: the fundamental problems are that you only get one shot and the pistol bolts don't do enough damage 80ft lb may fail to penetrate and 150ft lb may whistle straight through leaving a non incapacitating wound...its the bolts lack of leathality.

i'm not hugely experienced in them,handled a couple different ones fired a couple too....but i've only ever seen target type one peice bolts...maybe there effectiveness could be improved with hunting type heads if there are pistol bolts out there with detachable heads...never seen any but you never know ,someone out there might be making them.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 October 2013, 17:59,
OpSecRadio is right. A larger bow has a longer power stroke,coupled with a heavier bolt this gives a much higher ftlb.

A pistol cross bow will max out at around 17 ftlb's .My old Barnett Trident bow used to run at 12ftlb's (if i remember correctly it's been a lot of years since i owned and chrony'd it)

A 150lb prod will be over 50ftlb's (depending on the bow and length of stroke). Also the full sized bow is easier to get on target due to a longer sight plane and the fact it has a butt, the intimidation factor of a full sized bow could also help .

The downside is physical size,my Vixen can't be used on my staircase as the limbs are too wide and would hit against the wall.My Delta storm on the other hand is just a nice size and also has a collapsible stock.Makes it extremely compact for tight hallways.

The ideal would be the 12 or 20 gauge,but if that's not an option and you need a ranged weapon .Well if the pistol x bow is all that you have make sure you're well practised with it.Improvising a broadhead would be a must for me.
These are just my personal thoughts,others may have different idea's but that's why we're hereSmile
24 October 2013, 19:13,
Forgot to add a 90lb prod on the chase wind should send a 350 grain bolt at around 170 fps.That works out at around 22 ftlb's.Doesn't sound much but it will comfortably do the job on any british native species,either two legged or four if the shooter does they're part.
25 October 2013, 13:54,
When discussing a pistol crossbow we're discussing a range weapon.
I can fire off a bolt with a pistol crossbow and still have my "sharp stick / machete / chainsaw" in hand for when they close to melee range.
A pistol crossbow in the ribs might not stop someone dead but it will mean when they close to melee range they're operating at degraded performance. (And unless they're desperate they're probably considering a tactical withdrawal)

As for penetration a 50 lb or 80lb pistol crossbow can penetrate most typical clothing. If you're attacked by a biker gang in heavy stuffed leather jackets; penetration may be a problem but how many attackers are going to have improvised body armour?

Even missing with a crossbow bolt will make someone less likely to pursue the attack than you just standing there and waiting for them.

There are very few scenarios in which a single person can defend against a determined mob irrespective of what weapon they have.

A shotgun blast is LOUD. Many people will run from the sound of one but others will creep towards it to see what's going on and whether there is any opportunity to profit or any leftovers to take. Pistol crossbows are very quiet.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
25 October 2013, 14:25, (This post was last modified: 25 October 2013, 14:26 by Midnitemo.)
i will ... and most preppers will its only £50/£60 for something that will piss your day off and like you said there maybe a tactical withdrawl to find an improvised shield.

have a stab/ballistic vest that is
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 October 2013, 00:32,
(25 October 2013, 13:54)Skvez Wrote: When discussing a pistol crossbow we're discussing a range weapon.
I can fire off a bolt with a pistol crossbow and still have my "sharp stick / machete / chainsaw" in hand for when they close to melee range.
A pistol crossbow in the ribs might not stop someone dead but it will mean when they close to melee range they're operating at degraded performance. (And unless they're desperate they're probably considering a tactical withdrawal)

As for penetration a 50 lb or 80lb pistol crossbow can penetrate most typical clothing. If you're attacked by a biker gang in heavy stuffed leather jackets; penetration may be a problem but how many attackers are going to have improvised body armour?

Even missing with a crossbow bolt will make someone less likely to pursue the attack than you just standing there and waiting for them.

There are very few scenarios in which a single person can defend against a determined mob irrespective of what weapon they have.

A shotgun blast is LOUD. Many people will run from the sound of one but others will creep towards it to see what's going on and whether there is any opportunity to profit or any leftovers to take. Pistol crossbows are very quiet.

The discussion was about possible weapons that would work well in a domestic dwelling. This alters the suitability of a ranged weapon. A ranged weapon is only any good if you have the range to use it. In an indoor dwelling against intruders, then you may or may not have time to deploy and use the weapon. A ranged weapon in this scenario could be a tactical disadvantage if in the act of deploying it, you find out the intruder or intruders do not wait for your timing or position to be in synch. This could mean you only partially manage to bring the weapon to bear on target in what will be an adrenaline charged, maybe fast moving and possibly badly lit situation. If you get the bolt off in time and it hits and penetrates and if it hits a spot that immediately debilitates the attacker, then all is going the best it can be hoped for (a collection of "ifs & assumptions"). If not, then the time wasted, the distraction of it and the immediate need to deploy alternative weapon force will now be a very pressing matter. If your timing is bad, then it could ruin your day! What if the assailant is battering your door down with a chair or small table before bursting in? Will this obscure the target? What if you actually miss? There will not be time for a reload either.
The pistol crossbow MAY or MAY NOT do the job you expect on the day. Is this the best time to find out? A serious higher poundage, better made one would be preferable but always remember it will probably be a one shot weapon. A full sized crossbow would be much better and seeing as most of the pistol crossbow proponents assume they will be waiting ready for the assailant, with a clear line of sight and the necessary range, then one of these full size crossbows would be far more proficient to do the job.
The assailants may not even know you have fired a bolt at them in the actual situation as it rapidly unfolds, so having confidence that folk are likely to be scared off after having a bolt fired at them is not something I would rely on.
I agree that a single person (without serious firepower) has low odds of defending against a determined mob, but this is towards the extreme end of the spectrum. More than one or multiple assailants as suggested in the text is quite likely to mean 2, 3 or 4 rather than a determined mob. Also their determination can be reversed by the successful and targeted application of force. One person with some preparation, the right kit and some practice can have very good odds against a small group of untrained, predictable hostiles with poor strategy. This is the best prepper counter strategy for unavoidable violent confrontation.
I ask you - Why is it that many posters on these forums always analyse a scenario as though they are the ones to initiate the weapon discharge or to be waiting in the right place at the right time, in full control of the situation - in the right lighting conditions and usually in a known pre-prepared location? is this a comforting notion?
If as above, the scenario gives you the luxury of having everything "just so" and with time to prepare, then what about simple obstacles to impede or trip the assailant. String taught across the floor as a lattice of trip wires or floorboards (pre-prepared trap doors) removed inside doorways or windows. This could give a massive advantage for little effort. Why not use the choke effect of a doorway, so that one attacker faces three expedient spear points held by family members, preferably at different heights and in sharp thrusting movements as the assailant attempts to advance through the opening. Simple but effective tech.
Another simple measure is to have some door wedges or stops. Temporarily nail one to the floor so that the likely intruder access door can only open maybe 18 inches. In the event of the assailant attempting to barge through the door, it will initially swing open under their own bodyweight and then suddenly stop part way or if kicked, then jam ajar or bounce back. If kicked and bounced back, then they will next probably try to barge it open with their bodyweight as they would not expect it to be a wedge or door stopper. As they do this and attempt to squeeze through, they are in a vulnerable, canalised, constricted position. Take advantage of it there and then. One lateral method would be to have already checked if an expedient spear or similar slim sharp pointy thing could be shoved clean through one of the door panels. If it can be, then now is the time to do it side on to the assailant while a partner impedes the assailant's access through the restricted door aperture. This would be a most traumatic experience for the assailant and IS one way likely to reverse any of his cohorts determination to pursue their objective.
Another - Bungie nets with jingly items attached over the inside of window frames with curtains closed. This will be a pain for any intruder to access quickly or slowly while you are there.
Caltrops.... nasty nasty indeed. Much underrated. Easy to make, deploy and reuse. Can even be thrown into a confined area or corridor just prior to contact. Collect and reuse later.
Similar - Planks with large nails hammered through sticking upwards. carefully sited to impede progress at advantageous points or as automated night time sentries. lol.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 October 2013, 00:37,
I'm not interested in range. I'm looking at 20ft. I.e. When someone is batteringt down the door. Pistil Bow + Paint Gun + Knife on Broom handle + a few other things by the door - I reckon will do it.

However some of you have suggested a CO2 Pistol. Why? Its only 177 balls
which cant do much damage unless you are putting 20 of them into someones nfae and if they are that close then surely the Pistol Bow would be fine.

However assuming i;ve got £130 to spare - which one would you recommend and why?

Merci