Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
eggs today from my chooks...
1 April 2012, 15:56,
RE: eggs today from my chooks...
I'm glad they've settled in. Chickens are one of the biggest time wasters I know. The times I have gone out to do some gardening and been distracted by the Chickens. Don't forget that Chooks like it a bit gloomy and quiet to lay their eggs, might be best to keep a door closed so it's not too bright in the house, or you may find they'll start laying somewhere else!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
1 April 2012, 17:15,
Thats funny because one did lay behind a tree in the pen so thats four now!!
Just been bug hunting in the local park with the family for the chooks and also got some wood chips for them to fiddle with.
I'll keep a door closed in the coop tomorow, one was going from side to side messing about nesting then not, so I presume it was that one that laid behind the tree.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
1 April 2012, 18:33,
Well, my Girls were picked up about an hour ago. I'm gutted.

Make sure the woodchips are animal friendly. If not, then Straw gives them endless fun, especially if you throw a few handfuls of mixed corn in there, they'll be grubbing about all day! And when they've finished with the straw, you have homemade manure, just need to let it rot down.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
1 April 2012, 19:08,
(1 April 2012, 18:33)TOF Wrote: Well, my Girls were picked up about an hour ago. I'm gutted.

Make sure the woodchips are animal friendly. If not, then Straw gives them endless fun, especially if you throw a few handfuls of mixed corn in there, they'll be grubbing about all day! And when they've finished with the straw, you have homemade manure, just need to let it rot down.

Thanks for the advice, it's greatly apreciated, just found another two eggs in the coop!! thats six today!! so I'm hoping their settled in now and they'll keep laying, but the eggs are a bonus really, I had chooks when I was a boy, so I wanted them for my little girl coz she likes eggs with soldiers and my big nearly 17 year old lad "loves de cake" so any eggs are greatfully recieved hence me going to the park collecting bugs for a treat for them.
It's also nice to be able to be that little bit more independant.
Even though your going to live with your boy, you still have your accumilated knowledge that you can put into use should the need arise.
People with even just knowledge and no kit are in a better position than those with nothing.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."