Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wash them clothes....how?
31 March 2012, 11:24,
Wash them clothes....how?
Just wondering, how people plan on washing clothes in an EOTWAWKI situation?

I'm been thinking this because a beautiful silk tie I have has a nasty stain on it. Obviously the idea of wearing a suit after TSHTF would be a bit odd. However, the cleaning thing got me wondering about it.

What does everyone plan on doing?

I seem to recall people used to beat rocks together on their clothing to break off dirt, mud and things like that. But that'll massively reduce the life of the clothes.

Any answers would be appreciated.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 March 2012, 11:32,
RE: Wash them clothes....how?
Poss stick and bucket?, Scrubbing board, or plastic diy camping hand operated washing machine.

31 March 2012, 11:33,
What will you use for soap and that kind of thing?
31 March 2012, 11:38, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2012, 11:39 by NorthernRaider.)
Soap stone or them soap leaves
Talked about before
http://forum.survivaluk.net/archive/inde...d-933.html
but

http://www.portablewashingmachine.seemoreinfo.co.uk/

31 March 2012, 11:40,
Never heard of a soap stone before. I'll check them out on Google.

I remember the washing machine barrel turning thing.
31 March 2012, 11:46, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2012, 11:48 by NorthernRaider.)
Silly arse NR, I meant Scrubbing stone not soap stone, sorry, its an abrasive stone used to scrub the clothes.

Them B & Q roll along the floor plastic cement mixer barrels also do the job very well. Hygiene in the home and retreat is often the elephant in the kitchen in the prepping world, People just either dont want to talk about ablutions or are embarrased. We all eat, pee, poo, sneeze, fart, shed skin, shed hair, perspire etc and we all desperately after TSHTF need to maintain first rate levels of hygiene both personally, in the home and in the kitchen. History shows us time after time than in most disasters more people die from disease AFTER an event than die because of the event.
You can make your own detergent soap apparently quite easy from lye, wood ash etc so the green types tell me, I just cache about 15 litres of super concentrate detergent plus the same fabric conditioner.

31 March 2012, 11:50,
I think caching will be about 80% of my hygine plan as well.

I'm still, as you know, hell bent on learning all the skills I can. So I think I'll end up checking out the natural soap options and learn to make my own. Skills cannot be dug up by someone else, they cannot be stolen, they cannot be lost (if properly practiced.....riding a bike, etc), they weigh nothing to carry, but they are with you always.
31 March 2012, 12:01, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2012, 12:04 by NorthernRaider.)
You can go on green living course at various places and be taught traditional skills such as soap making etc, I cache massive amounts of the following

Domestos bleach
Persil Non Bio Concentrated Laundry Liquid
Comfort Fabric Conditioner
Star Drops cleaner
Flash Concentrate
Flash wipes
Detol and Detox lliquid
Detol surface cleaner
Fairy Liquid Professional
Carex hand cleaner
Harpic
Baby wipes
Shampoo
Deodourant
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Dish clothes
Tea Towels
Scourers
Soap bars
etc
Oh and hundreds of rubbish bags of assorted sizes for waste disposal, My camping stores are seperate as camping toilets require different chemicals, cleaners, disinfectants, bio degradors and crumbly bum paper.

Plus Berkfield and spare filters to ensure only clean safe water is used.
I know I am sometimes OTT but I do honestly believe that most critters like moggies are very likely to make things worse if they are allowed indoors after TSHTF.

31 March 2012, 12:12,
I'm stocking up on Ovex, because hygine will become an issue, and so could worms. But that's another thing people don't like to talk about haha.
31 March 2012, 12:33,
Of course you understand that only dirty people get washed Smile