Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We Need Money
31 March 2012, 15:12,
We Need Money
This is going to upset a lot of people, and probably make just as many smile.

After TSHTF, if we are put back to a medieval situation, we will still need some kind of monetary system. If we don't, then commerce will die and us with it.

I'll be fair, barter items are a great idea, providing the other person you are bartering with has something you want. But what if they haven't?

If you saw someone willing to trade what you wanted and they had, but they didn't want anything you were offering.....when what?

Think about it this way. As a made up example, I'm going to be the person wanting what you have. You have baked a cake (OOOOOW I LOVE THE CAKE!!!) You are willing to trade the cake, but I have nothing you want. So logically, we can't do business. I still want that cake, so I'll do what I have to do to get that cake. I'm going to rip open anyone that doesn't want to trade something I have for a tasty cake. And as a result....people die.....which isn't cool.

A form of commerce and a transfer of wealth, along with a held value of that item, are required. We'll need a form of money, not of currency.

The difference between money and currency: Money has value, a bar of gold is valuable as gold. Currency doesn't have to have value, a five pound note is a piece of paper, but the perception is that is has value. Money can be currency, but currency isn't always money.

So what we will need will be money, after TSHTF.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 March 2012, 15:15, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2012, 15:24 by bigpaul.)
RE: We Need Money
maybe the other person has no items to sell, but maybe he has a skill? or maybe an agreed set amount of labouring in return?
(31 March 2012, 15:15)bigpaul Wrote: maybe the other person has no items to sell, but maybe he has a skill? or maybe an agreed set amount of labouring in return?
i think you will find the human race did without any form of currency for a large part of our history.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 March 2012, 15:42,
(31 March 2012, 15:15)bigpaul Wrote: maybe the other person has no items to sell, but maybe he has a skill? or maybe an agreed set amount of labouring in return?

i think you will find the human race did without any form of currency for a large part of our history.

Yeah, I totally get that. But some people have not ever worked for food or something like that.

I have a real concern that people won't be able to deal properly without money.
31 March 2012, 15:50,

S13, I'd happily bake you a months worth of cakes if you'd come and help me move!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
31 March 2012, 16:07,
I think origionaly thats where all forms of jobs came from, I.E bob could carry water for the old lady who couldnt but she could cure stuff with her medicinal plants and trevor could build huts but berol could hunt deer that sort of thing so it was a sort of skills barter job doodaa.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
31 March 2012, 16:34, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2012, 16:42 by Scythe13.)
(31 March 2012, 15:50)TOF Wrote: S13, I'd happily bake you a months worth of cakes if you'd come and help me move!

You have no idea how much cake a 16 stone massively active guy can eat!!!

Where about are you moving from and where to?

There's not a lot of stuff I wouldn't do for a months worth of cake!!!
(31 March 2012, 16:07)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I think origionaly thats where all forms of jobs came from, I.E bob could carry water for the old lady who couldnt but she could cure stuff with her medicinal plants and trevor could build huts but berol could hunt deer that sort of thing so it was a sort of skills barter job doodaa.

I totally get what you're saying. It's not that I disagree, but I'm just inquisitive and probably don't have the full picture.

My thought on that is that not everyone has good skills that would be helpful post STHF. Anyone on this forum could do most things, but if someone was going to do something to save me time and effort, I'd pay them. However, if someone came along with no skills that would be of benefit, then it would be an issue for me. If an accountant came along and wanted some tampons or something for his misses. What if he has no skills except pen pushing? I'm not going to expect him to mend my shoes well, or anything like that. All I can really see him doing is getting really upset and aggressive. Which will inevitably end in him or me getting hurt.

Back years ago people had skills and qualities that made them useful in a group. But it's as Weyoun said, some people have no uses in society after TSHTF (I think he called up bailifs and tax collectors among others). I certainly wouldn't be paying them to keep an eye out and be lookouts for me so that I can get a good nights rest. I'm not trusting many, if any, to do that kind of thing.
31 March 2012, 17:37,
i think you can always find something for them to do in return for whatever you are bartering, things like firewood gathering, log chopping, spud peeling, washing clothes, maybe skinning and gutting bunnies, fish, poultry, you get the drift i'm trying to make?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 March 2012, 18:25,
(31 March 2012, 17:37)bigpaul Wrote: i think you can always find something for them to do in return for whatever you are bartering, things like firewood gathering, log chopping, spud peeling, washing clothes, maybe skinning and gutting bunnies, fish, poultry, you get the drift i'm trying to make?

I see what you're saying. But I just can't see that being practical, or even see people doing such things. My dad couldn't do anything, he's in a wheelchair able to do pretty much nothing. My mum can't leave my dad to go pick up sticks and the alike. So they'll both be screwed, unless I'm around. In fairness, WTSHTF, I think my parents wouldn't want to survive. It would be too much for them. But some people in those kinds of situations will have no skills or anything they can offer, and there will be some people in those kinds of situations that will survive the collapse or whatever it is that happens.
31 March 2012, 19:36,
Thats why you need some form of deadly foece to protect you and yours from the useless have nots.
Now what B.P. says is practicle advice such as Mr accountant shiftds his arse and chops wood allday or gets nothing.
If he's aggressive or trys to take, give him some pointy lead or sharp steel.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
31 March 2012, 21:16,
(31 March 2012, 16:34)Scythe13 Wrote: [quote='TOF' pid='11265' dateline='1333205452']
S13, I'd happily bake you a months worth of cakes if you'd come and help me move!

You have no idea how much cake a 16 stone massively active guy can eat!!!

Where about are you moving from and where to?

There's not a lot of stuff I wouldn't do for a months worth of cake!!!

I'm miles and miles away from you, but should we ever meet up I promise to bring a cake. And thanks for the thought.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart