Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fruit & Nut Trees
5 April 2012, 10:44,
Fruit & Nut Trees
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get some small, dwarfing stock, fruit and nut trees to plant in a sunny position in pots. In particular I'm interested to know if anyone has has had success with hazlenut trees planted in pots?

Can anyone recommend any varieties for the following please?

Hazlenut (Robin/ Robjin looks a good one)
Almond
Eating apples
Plum
Pear
Cherry

I am looking for self fertile, disease resistant heavy croppers! (Not much to ask is it?!!!) I can grow trees up to around 8' - 10'.
All trees will be planted in planters made of pallet wood!

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks Smile[/b]
5 April 2012, 11:56,
RE: Fruit & Nut Trees
HI BugOB

I'm planting a small garden on the roof of my flat. So I'm in a similar situation to you, in regards to varieties. Right now I'm just going cheap and cheerful, just to see which plants work best in pots. In a year or so, if nothing has kicked off, I'll be able to figure which plants/trees would be best suited to pots.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 April 2012, 12:18,
If you find shops that sell large ammounts of bread they leave the empty bread trays out side, now whilst the bread trays may not be of much use the wheely trolly's they use are wuite strong and you may be able to utilise them for wheeling potted trees about.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
5 April 2012, 13:25,
I have a hazelnut in a pot and it isn't a heavy cropper for me. It's only a few years old and I've been told it takes a while for nuts to mature.

I have no idea the varieties of mine as the labels get lost pretty quick. I want to buy 4 for £2.50 each rather than £10 for a special one.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 April 2012, 15:25,

Nut trees in general take a while to start producing. You're really restricting your varieties if you want self fertile apple trees and they won't be very prolific. If space is at a premium, I'd recommend 'family' apple trees where you have more than one variety grafted onto the rootstock. This way you have the best of both worlds. One tree but 2 or 3 varieties. A good Cherry variety is Sunburst but I'm not entirely sure about a Plum variety. You may want to go the Family fruit tree route there too. HTH

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
5 April 2012, 22:32,
Hi folks, thanks. I will look out for those bread tray trolleys Mike, sounds like one of those could come in handy! Smile

SD I have read that that with most trees they can take some time to produce a good yield, cob nuts look great but they grow to tall for my space! I hear what you're saying by buying multiple trees cheap rather than one 'special' one. I'm with you on that score but haven't found any that cheap ... yet!

TOF, thankyou for your suggestion, I will investigate family trees, they sound like a great idea. Space is always at a premium and so I'm wary of purchasing things that will grow like triffids and take over! I will check out Sunburst cherries too!

Just on the subject of food production, I'm about to get some Goji Berry plants. Goji berries are supposed to be 'the' new 'superfood' and so I thought I might give them a whirl! Anyone tried growing these successfully?

Cheers everyone, BoB Smile
6 April 2012, 08:15,
My friend in County Durham has Goji Bushes. I'll ask her how they're doing. Personally I can't stand them. Blueberries are much yummier!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
6 April 2012, 10:00,
(5 April 2012, 22:32)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: Just on the subject of food production, I'm about to get some Goji Berry plants. Goji berries are supposed to be 'the' new 'superfood' and so I thought I might give them a whirl! Anyone tried growing these successfully?

Goji's!!! Why didn't I think of that?!?!? They're often growing naturally in the UK, but they go unnoticed and uneaten because they have red berries and everyone think's they're poisonous in the wild!!! DAMN!!! I can't believe I didn't think of them earlier.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 April 2012, 11:00,
Hi!

Scythe, you can grow them from seed if you soak some dried ones bought from a health food shop, extract the seed and plant in compost with added grit. See You Tube there are lots of 'how to' vids on there. While reseaching though, it seems that getting the seedlings through their first year can be a bit tricky which is why I'm opting to buy plants. There are some 'dodgy' imported plants about which potentially carry disease that can destroy tomarto crops so watch out if you opt to buy plants.

They can be found in the wild although I've personally not stumbled across any! You could try digging one up but they have intensive root systems and have been grown in the past to limit soil errosion. It maybe better to take cuttings.

TOF: Thankyou, it would be interesting to see if your friend has any tips on growing these please Smile. I grow blueberries too ... delish! I'm not that mental about Gojis either but would like to have some for their health enhancing, immune sytem building properties to add to meals pre and post SHTF! Smile

6 April 2012, 13:35,
Almost everything natural seems to be called a superfood lately. Personally, I'd just stick with what you like and bear in mind that we have livedon British grown food for hundreds of years, most of the time a very narrow range. If food it too difficult to grow then unless you have the spare capacity forget it. Add different varieties on when you base supply is in place for treats and trade.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin