Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Entry/Exit/Rescue Tool
6 April 2012, 00:39,
Entry/Exit/Rescue Tool
Hi Everyone.

I was just thinking about entry/exit situations, then I got to the idea of pry bars, which seem too small to do anything at all.

Eventually I came across this: http://www.thanettoolsupplies.co.uk/prod...hilator-18
But there is a 14inch version that'll be much lighter, and probably the one I go for.

I am thinking of having a max of 3 'big' tools on my BOB. One would be this, then a machete, and a good axe. They'll add a load of weight, but they'll also be worth it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 April 2012, 00:42,
RE: Entry/Exit/Rescue Tool
hold off buying any pry bars till you think how you would use them
i'am going to list my entry bag kit which will give you an idea
to win the war, you must be willing to die
6 April 2012, 00:43,
I've got pens thicker than pry bars. I really don't get the use of them. That's why I want that beasty thing!!!
6 April 2012, 00:57, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2012, 01:00 by Timelord.)
That "Annihalator" looks like a prybar version of the Super Rambo Survival knives. Looks crap to me. What you going to do with it? A quick roofing job?? Dosn't look much use for actually prying anything worthwhile. & looks a bit thin to boot. That hammer head is a joke for anything other than light work. A nail puller with a point to lever on?? What sort of design is that? As for that curved bit being some type of axe - well What can you say?

It seems to be one for the gadget afficionardo's or possibly a roofer.

A pry bar needs to be able to pry what you wish to pry with it. I have also been considering carrying a prybar to enable entry to vacant abandoned premises for emergency reasons you understand.... The standard design has a lot going for it and is shaped that way for a reason. It is easy to carry and could double up for other uses. The only problem is weight... I am trying to lighten the load at the moment and don't really see being able to include that in a BOB for on foot as being doable. For vehicle transport or for the home, then is invaluable for foraging missions. (IMO)
Prybar / Crowbar?? What you going to use it for??
6 April 2012, 01:02,
(6 April 2012, 00:57)Timelord Wrote: That "Annihalator" looks like a prybar version of the Super Rambo Survival knives. Looks crap to me. What you going to do with it? A quick roofing job?? Dosn't look much use for actually prying anything worthwhile. & looks a bit thin to boot. That hammer head is a joke for anything other than light work. A nail puller with a point to lever on?? What sort of design is that? As for that curved bit being some type of axe - well What can you say?

It seems to be one for the gadget afficionardo's or possibly a roofer.

A pry bar needs to be able to pry what you wish to pry with it. I have also been considering carrying a prybar to enable entry to vacant abandoned premises for emergency reasons you understand.... The standard design has a lot going for it and is shaped that way for a reason. It is easy to carry and could double up for other uses. The only problem is weight... I am trying to lighten the load at the moment and don't really see being able to include that in a BOB for on foot as being doable. For vehicle transport or for the home, then is invaluable for foraging missions. (IMO)

Fair comments.

Youtube says the Annihilator is a strong build and really good. I'm thinking of having it as more of a multi-tool. It is just a simple "More Options" tool.

I'll be able to use the pry system, but I'll also have a big spike to use, and the wrench capabilities, and things like that. It just looks to be a good all rounder with strong construction. For £30ish, it'll be worth buying.
6 April 2012, 01:10,
I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional crowbar. You know, one of those octagonal steel 2 foot long thingys with the curved end. They usually incorporate a nail puller and a chisel type end on the straight. The curved end is brill for leverage and overall it gives you some reach if you need it. Big Grin

Thats sort of what I thought you meant by prybar. Now I am thinking prybars are those smaller flat ones for little jobs.. What do you want to use it for?
6 April 2012, 01:22,
That's my thoughts too. The crummy small bars that loads of preppers carry, I don't get them! That's why I want the Annihilator. It's got more capabilities than a crowbar.

My issue with a crowbar is that.....they're quite limited. I see they have benefits too, but for what I'm thinking (window entry, door prying, plasterboard smashing, etc) the Annihilator has more capabilities.

I'll buy one, then write up about it.
6 April 2012, 09:07,
you might also think about Boltcutters too! you can get some that dont weigh too much and dont cost a lot either, i got one on ebay and hung it in the garage out of sight, its my SHTF tool and wont be used until then(honest OfficerTongue)Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2012, 12:33, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2012, 12:35 by mikebratcher69.)
(6 April 2012, 01:10)Timelord Wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional crowbar. You know, one of those octagonal steel 2 foot long thingys with the curved end. They usually incorporate a nail puller and a chisel type end on the straight. The curved end is brill for leverage and overall it gives you some reach if you need it. Big Grin

Thats sort of what I thought you meant by prybar. Now I am thinking prybars are those smaller flat ones for little jobs.. What do you want to use it for?

Thats what I've got "opens" most things without flinching.
You can also hit people with crow bars, not that I've ever done that, I'm just saying you could, might, at some point be able to....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
6 April 2012, 12:42,
I have a set of crowbars and a couple of boltcutters. I think pry bars are OK for openning things in the postroom where a crowbar would be overbill. As for the Annihilator I could buy a set of crowbars and a good pair of boltcutters second hand for that cost. I don't like these multi use tools.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin