Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
B.O.B. Books
6 April 2012, 21:49,
B.O.B. Books
Here's a real beauty of a question.

I was thinking of doing a quick thread questioning my BOB and showing what I had in it, but I'm not far from completing it, so I'll wait until it's all in before I make a thread.....anyway.....

I'm just wondering whether people plan on taking books for entertainment, and also what other books people are putting in their BOB's?

I'm planning on having:

2 Forgaing/wild food books
1 outdoor survival book
1 wood working (log cabin building) book
1 medical book
1 entertainment book

I know books weigh a load, so I'll probably be keeping the books as small as possible. Maybe even ripping out some unimportant pages here and there, to cut down weight.

What books do you have in your BOB, and if you don't have any yet, which do you plan on putting in there, if any?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 April 2012, 21:53,
RE: B.O.B. Books
As i recollect isnt a BOB for 72 hours? That's a lot of reading there Sycthe :-) Maybe a copy of Penthouse for me :-)
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
6 April 2012, 21:58, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2012, 22:00 by Scythe13.)
(6 April 2012, 21:53)Stokey Wrote: As i recollect isnt a BOB for 72 hours? That's a lot of reading there Sycthe :-) Maybe a copy of Penthouse for me :-)

That's a fair assumption mate.

My thoughts on a SHTF scenario, how can you guarantee it'll be 72 hours? I plan on having the capability to go for 7-10 days. Don't forget though, when we go back to our homes, what says everything will be back to normal?

I'm providing myself the capability to be able to up and off for a little over a week, then being able to look after myself if my home has been blown up, burnt down, looted, occupied, or anything like that.
If I new it would be only 72 hours, I'd probably take the Argos Catalog and get ready for some shopping when I got back from the camping trip.
6 April 2012, 22:03,
:-) Im just understanding the terminolgy and how it all works tbh mate, i was asuming a bob would just be to enable you to get to your Bol or something, either way, Im still taking a copy of penthouse :-)
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
6 April 2012, 22:12,
(6 April 2012, 22:03)Stokey Wrote: :-) Im just understanding the terminolgy and how it all works tbh mate, i was asuming a bob would just be to enable you to get to your Bol or something, either way, Im still taking a copy of penthouse :-)

A BOB is usually just to get to the BOL. But I'm quite new to the area and I'm saving for some land to build into my BOL. Until then, I'm planning on living in the New Forest or something like that haha
6 April 2012, 22:23,
Lol, Your gonna be living with Hippies and Tree Huggers then mate :-)
6 April 2012, 23:08,
what's wrong with hippies ?
their not much of gardeners though, they can only grow weeds ?
to win the war, you must be willing to die
7 April 2012, 00:02,
My BOB is for bugging out permament. No guarantee of coming back or reaching any known destination. I want the essential items I need to survive indefinitely - well as long as they last until I resupply or scavenge replacements. Reaching a safe place may take longer than I think and I may be on the road for ages or from time to time, so "Wherever I lay my BOB, thats my home". lol
7 April 2012, 11:32,
TL, by any chance, did you have a brother at birth? And if so, were we seperated at some point in our lives? haha

That's why I'm putting books in my BOB, incase what made me bug out gets worse. Let's say civil unrest. Loads of people leave the area and get out. I don't have a definite BOL, but if I did, there's no way I could guarantee it was safe and secure. Suddenly it dawns on me, I'm out by myself, with enough resources to last me 72 hours. I go camping in the woods, after 3 days, I start to walk back to where I lived, or where I planned to live (BOL), the situation is 100 times worse. Fires, gun shots from the direction I'm heading towards, police sirens followed by explosions and clouds of smoke. Screw that, I'm not heading in that direction any more!

That would place me in a very serious situation. I would be out of food and water. I'd have caches, but that's it. Nothing else that I could use other than my own knowledge. Books are my support network if something happens before the Bristol Team is up and running. The information in a few books can provide SOOOO much benefit. I'll explain why I've got and am getting certain books.

Books, and why:
Foraging
Reason: Because I need to eat. This will provide me with enough knowledge to be able to survive spring, summer, and autumn.
Food For Free
Reason: Because I LOVE eating!!! haha. What isn't in one book might be in another.
Ray Meres Essential Bushcraft
Reason: It's a pretty compact book (lighter than the bigger manuals). Covers all the basics and is a good refresher.
Log Cabin Construction
Reason: It will provide a good project to keep my mind active and give me hope if I think everything is screwed.
First Aid
Reason: Seriously, I'm sure you can figure this one out. If not, it's to treat injuries

The last book I'm thinking of is a bit uncertain. Initially I was thinking entertainment, but I think the cabin building will do that. So I'm looking at something that will be able to teach me to make medicines, antibiotics, asprin, and those kinds of things from the wild. I've got a book called Herbs and their Medical Uses (I think that's the name), but that's up in Warrington, where I used to live.
7 April 2012, 11:44,
i would have thought you would need 2 books for information, say the SAS survival guide or a Lofty Wiseman or Ray mears book, and you would definitely need a Food for Free foraging type book, then you would need a book for general reading, say "Patriots" by JWR or "Last Light" or something like that.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.