Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vests for Survival
7 April 2012, 11:55,
Vests for Survival
This is for you BP

VESTS? Really? Explain.

I couldn't walk around wearing a vest as an EDC, especially in a city. They would look at me and think it was a bomb vest thing. I'd feel safer with a backpack, simply because it's not as unusual.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2012, 12:00,
RE: Vests for Survival
(7 April 2012, 11:55)Scythe13 Wrote: This is for you BP

VESTS? Really? Explain.

I couldn't walk around wearing a vest as an EDC, especially in a city. They would look at me and think it was a bomb vest thing. I'd feel safer with a backpack, simply because it's not as unusual.

well, i think calling them vests is a bit of a misnomer, they are either sleeveless jackets with pockets-mine is like this, or the fishing ones are like waistcoats with pockets, i have worn them in various places and if i get stared at its because of how i look NOT the fault of the vestBig Grin course you could always wear it under something else i suppose.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2012, 12:07,
(7 April 2012, 12:00)bigpaul Wrote: course you could always wear it under something else i suppose.

If it was a bit padded like the one in the other post, it's going to look well dodgy with the rest of what I wear. I'm often in a tshirt or a normal shirt, so having a tactical vest under that would look really weird. If I'm not wearing something like that, I'll probably be in a hoody, which is going to make me look like I've stolen something.

I think, thanks to the benefits of age (I'm only 27) that wearing a tactical vest or something like that looks much more normal, or socially acceptable, at later years or in certain social groups. But for me and those that I'm with, I can't see the vest being practical.

This is probably again, the words of someone lacking wisdom in their use.
7 April 2012, 12:17,
(7 April 2012, 12:07)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2012, 12:00)bigpaul Wrote: course you could always wear it under something else i suppose.

If it was a bit padded like the one in the other post, it's going to look well dodgy with the rest of what I wear. I'm often in a tshirt or a normal shirt, so having a tactical vest under that would look really weird. If I'm not wearing something like that, I'll probably be in a hoody, which is going to make me look like I've stolen something.

I think, thanks to the benefits of age (I'm only 27) that wearing a tactical vest or something like that looks much more normal, or socially acceptable, at later years or in certain social groups. But for me and those that I'm with, I can't see the vest being practical.

This is probably again, the words of someone lacking wisdom in their use.
i think wearing a tactical vest would be seen by most sheeple as anything BUT normal and in some places would or could cause some problems, the ones i have seen look too military which is why i went for the "vest" i did, its sold in the local market and is normal country wear around here. but again this is my personal choice and you must go with what you feel happy with, at the end of the day its all about personal choice and what we each feel comfortable in, wouldnt be any good if we all walked around looking like clones now would it??Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2012, 13:02,
If I lived in a more country area, I could see myself wearing a vest like what you showed me. But because I'm a city-boy, it'd probably attract more attention that I'm keen on.
7 April 2012, 13:14,
Depends what it looks like, camo, and what they can see in it, shotgun shells. Wear a fishermans hat and everyone is cool, wear a hunters hat and the A&E is working full speed to keep up with the heart attacks.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 April 2012, 15:00,
(7 April 2012, 13:02)Scythe13 Wrote: If I lived in a more country area, I could see myself wearing a vest like what you showed me. But because I'm a city-boy, it'd probably attract more attention that I'm keen on.

You obviously you can't grasp what is being said, I live in the country and would not wear my vests so the locals could see them, it would represent a bad image and draw far too much attention, I wear mine as kit for woods which up until this year I spent most of my time in, so it’s from house to truck to woods and reverse but defiantly not in public view and standing in the que at KFC would look rather odd.

What Paul did in his reply to me was open up the idea of a vest EDC something I am now looking into non-military look but Military strength vest.

Post shtf I would wear vest over ruck all day and in public, SD has given reason as to advantage listen to them.
7 April 2012, 15:27,
i think post SHTF i would be wearing my vest all the time, i only use it for the gun club at the moment, i would then be carrying a lot more gear with me than i normally carry and all these pockets would come in handy, in the winter i will be wearing my bodywarmer instead, this is a darker colour but still with lots of pockets, i would be wearing this under another jacket.
7 April 2012, 15:32,
(7 April 2012, 15:27)bigpaul Wrote: i think post SHTF i would be wearing my vest all the time, i only use it for the gun club at the moment, i would then be carrying a lot more gear with me than i normally carry and all these pockets would come in handy, in the winter i will be wearing my bodywarmer instead, this is a darker colour but still with lots of pockets, i would be wearing this under another jacket.

Hey Paul I managed to find the same style vest you linked only better quality 100% cotton, I am still looking I want bit more from the pockets for edc replacement.

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/-/Multi...0/595.html
7 April 2012, 15:40,
(7 April 2012, 15:32)WetandCold Wrote:
(7 April 2012, 15:27)bigpaul Wrote: i think post SHTF i would be wearing my vest all the time, i only use it for the gun club at the moment, i would then be carrying a lot more gear with me than i normally carry and all these pockets would come in handy, in the winter i will be wearing my bodywarmer instead, this is a darker colour but still with lots of pockets, i would be wearing this under another jacket.

Hey Paul I managed to find the same style vest you linked only better quality 100% cotton, I am still looking I want bit more from the pockets for edc replacement.

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/-/Multi...0/595.html
yes, that is almost identical to the one i've got, mine hasn't got the rings on it but thats about all, i bought it in the local market last summer for £15.