Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Safe Haven - if there is such a thing
8 April 2012, 12:20,
RE: Safe Haven - if there is such a thing
(8 April 2012, 12:04)mikebratcher69 Wrote: There are lots of ex millitary people about that would think nothing of swimming a river or climbing barbed or razor wire, or indeed burrowing under it, for a worthy prize me being one of them.

That's why i'm aiming to stay hidden, Don't want Mike paying me a visit ;-)

“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
8 April 2012, 12:51,
if its that bad Mike, then there is no point in keeping stores if we cant protect them, just take some in a back pack and keep moving. i dont think there will be as many people left as some others think, i think disease and starvation will take out more people than whatever the original SHTF event was, i also think many people will either die or be marooned in cities not able to get past the street gangs, especially in our larger cities like London, Birmingham and ,yes, Manchester.i also think military and Police types will not be immune from what is going on and, those that survive will stay where its safe, in the married quarters in the camps.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 April 2012, 12:51,
(8 April 2012, 12:20)Stokey Wrote:
(8 April 2012, 12:04)mikebratcher69 Wrote: There are lots of ex millitary people about that would think nothing of swimming a river or climbing barbed or razor wire, or indeed burrowing under it, for a worthy prize me being one of them.

Same here. I know enough people in the forces to know that pellets would just p**s them off so much that revenge would end up being their sole intention.

Out of sight, out of mind, out of danger!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 April 2012, 13:04,
(8 April 2012, 12:51)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 April 2012, 12:20)Stokey Wrote:

Same here. I know enough people in the forces to know that pellets would just p**s them off so much that revenge would end up being their sole intention.

Out of sight, out of mind, out of danger!

These points are all valid and highlight the advantages and disadvantages of having such vast stores.

Not having them is also dangerous. What to do now ? Seems a combination of splitting the stuff, being as grey as possible, being partially underground and being able to fight off attackers.

I can fight off Mr Average and easily win, but to be honest, I had not considered military trained people, which is not good and I need to put some thought into this.

Clearly, there are going to be many threats, and it will be a matter of being as prepared as possible and hoping for a little luck thrown in too.

My chance of survival are better than average, but I am also going to be a bigger target.

Thanks for the input all, back to the drawing board for some of my plans.

Steve
8 April 2012, 13:09,
This all goes for me as well, People like N.R and myself or anybody with forces training of any type have a little advantage thats all.
It's just worth remembering who we might come accross post shtf.
We may never come accross ex millitary or police (armed) but then again we might.
All things should be considered and at least have a plan in your head of what to do.
Lets hope like B.P. says the times take their toll on all the unprepared so thats less for us to worry about.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
8 April 2012, 13:34,
(8 April 2012, 13:09)mikebratcher69 Wrote: It's just worth remembering who we might come accross post shtf.

Has anyone else thought of coming up against a drug fueled mass of people?

I ask this because I remember hitting a guy with probably the best punch I have ever thrown, beautiful contact, everything was textbook perfect, he fell back on his butt, but then got straight back up again. The guy must have been on coke or something, becuase I've taken out bigger guys with not as good impacts. So the thought of getting a pellet in the face to one of them, unless it's in the eye, is unlikely to stop them.

When you're on coke, you feel invincible (so I've been told). Which means they'll keep coming after you. And after that guy got back up so quickly, I was always careful about who I threw out of a club, and who I stood against in a fight. It's 100 times better to not be in that situation than it is to step up against someone.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 April 2012, 13:42,
(8 April 2012, 13:34)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 April 2012, 13:09)mikebratcher69 Wrote: It's just worth remembering who we might come accross post shtf.

Has anyone else thought of coming up against a drug fueled mass of people?

I for one wont be worrying about the druggies, they will be the first to disapear, Survival of the fittest, and the fittest are the ones you need to worry about.
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
8 April 2012, 13:45,
in a SHTF situation, drugs of any kind will short on supply, if there is any at all,and these sorts of people will be having withdrawl symptons, if you come up against any a pellet in the eye or an arrow in the chest should sort them out. the further you can get away from "civilisation" the less chance you will have in meeting anyone of this sort.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 April 2012, 18:26,
Many people have been shot in the eye with no fatal results. The pellet needs to be angled correctly to enter the brain. Many druggies are mssing that organ.

In the same way arrows in the chest are not guarateed one shot kills, druggies in particular do many thing before they bleed to death or the weapon damages something vital.

Do not underestimate druggies in this way. After the drugs have run out though they are less resilient.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 April 2012, 18:35,
I've had a fight with two coked up individuals and as you say scythe, they just keep coming.
If you need a bit of time to gather yourself or pull a weapon break a nose or two like I did, gives you valuable seconds to get yourself together AND remove your top if you can before the fight as people grab hold of you with it. Most fights degenerate into close grappling I've found so the less they have to hold onto you with the better...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."