Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
airgun review site
10 April 2012, 09:18,
airgun review site
http://www.airgunsmith.com/cgi-bin/airgu...eview=1359
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 April 2012, 09:57,
RE: airgun review site
thanks for the link mate Smile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
10 April 2012, 10:01,
dosent go into great detail but it might help if someone is looking for a gun.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 April 2012, 11:17,
A cautionary tale when buying new air weapons.
Pest controller buddy of mine had problems with his 2 year old PCP. We are both used to servicing our airguns and stripped the action out of the stock to discover tamperproof (TP) screws on everything important. So he went to his local gunshop who wouldn't touch the gun but offered to 'handle' the sending it back to the manufacturer. We contacted the manufacturer direct and asked for a set of replacement TP screws.
"Can't do that as those parts are listed under the VCR act so have to be fitted by us".
End result was we extracted the screws and replaced them with normal machine head types but had to use pretty extreme measures to 'pull' the TP screws out.
OK, all that was changed was a rubber seal and we chronographed the rifle afterwards to check it BUT the important thing to realise is that had we not been good engineers, his £650 rifle would have been useless to him all for the sake of £3 worth of screws and a 20p "O" ring washer.

My rambling point is this.
As potential survivalists we hopefully all buy equipment that we hope we can maintain after the world turns to pot using our own resources. So when buying air weapons it's going to be a good idea to check you can actually repair them yourself i.e. get trained, buy spares for them and the tools to fit them (if applicable). After all it's ultimately going to be down to you.

p.s. Buy a spare set of washers, main springs, spacers, and "c clips" if you can. It costed us round £16-£20 for each springer we own and £4-£16 for each of the PCP's. If you are going to buy a PCP, don't forget a set of replacement seals for your stirrup pump as well. (mine £2.50) AND a spare filling hose.

10 April 2012, 19:58,
Paul,

Part of the reason I'm avoiding PCPs myself for my survival needs. However, I have one for general use.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 April 2012, 21:27,
We don't have a lot of problems with pcp's within our little group as the only thing that wears out is washers and seals. Makes used in the group include Air Arms, BSA, Daystate, Crossman, gunpower, and Weihrauch.
None of us use dive tanks only stirrup pumps with clip on charge adapters just in case one of our pumps fail.
One of our group is also ticketed and his pcp happily delivers 32ft lbs so he shoots slugs not pellets. It's great for downing "bunnies" at 75 yards with little if any noise or recoil.

It's surprising how many springer owners haven't ever changed a main spring though or even know how to carry out basic maintenance.
One guy I know was convinced that a squirt of wd40 into the vent hole made his springer shoot further having being impressed by the puff of smoke out the barrel every time he fired the rifle.
Stripped it for him when it lost power. You should have seen his face when he saw the melted piston washer because of deiseling.
Fun bit about it was he couldn't source a replacement washer only a complete piston. Cost him £45 and £15 carriage to and from BSA as the piston was again listed as a major component under the VCR rules.
Got to love these petty little laws haven't you.

10 April 2012, 21:34,
Paul,

I always use the word; Tax. That is what it is for.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 April 2012, 23:44,
Rat Catcher all the way!! Woo!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 April 2012, 01:41,
like i have said you can't rely on modern air rifles to turn up, old ones can ?
to win the war, you must be willing to die
11 April 2012, 13:16,
(10 April 2012, 23:44)Scythe13 Wrote: Rat Catcher all the way!! Woo!!!

You're getting about 20-30 shots from a CO2 bulb I'm guessing.

Excuse me asking (and this is a serious question no a smart Alec one) but,

How are you going to refill the CO2 bulbs when the supplies run out?