Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
World food prices rise further, raising fears of unrest
11 April 2012, 13:39,
RE: World food prices rise further, raising fears of unrest
Yes it is (in my humble opinion) but whether it will hit here first or the US is anyone's guess.
Besides how it is going to 'hurt us' is still unknown.
I'm not so worried about it preferring to worry about the little things like what is going to happen when the Euro goes 'pop'.
I'm guessing I'll still earn the same amount of folding stuff but there will be a huge transistion shock as the price of goods soars when the EU / Euro based coutries try and go back to their old currencies.
Then of course there's fuel. All sorts of fuels. That's where I'm guessing the UK will flounder as we buy most of our energy from the EU.

So if the Euro does go pop this year, it could to be a long cold winter. That's my worry!

13 April 2012, 15:50,
If things continue to go down hill, many of us will not be able to pay the rent and many other things. Sort out a suitable empty house where you can squat. Try to keep a roof of sorts over your head. If you do not have anywhere in mind start looking now. If all fails find a derelict and live there. If there are no windows place a bale of hay or straw therein to keep out the cold. If there is no roof, cover with a tarpaulin. Think of other things that you can do. Kenneth Eames.
14 April 2012, 10:55,
I've got a couple of 8 man tents, the huge family ones so accomodations fine, as long as its not winter but theres plenty of places out of the cold if you look.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
14 April 2012, 11:49,
i stayed in a tent for 6 months waiting for a house over winter 8 years ago with wife and 3 kids it wasn't that bad if you know what your doing :.)
to win the war, you must be willing to die
14 April 2012, 13:03,
Like you GOM, we house hunted for 6 months in a tent. It rained and stormed A LOT.
No problems for us and the dawg though.
We got fitter, stayed cleaner, slept better, we eat healthier then we ever had.
No colds or sniffles AT ALL.
All the bad stuff only happened AFTER we got the house and got civilised.

14 April 2012, 13:18,
(14 April 2012, 13:03)Paul Wrote: We got fitter, stayed cleaner,

How did you manage to stay cleaner?
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
14 April 2012, 13:46,
It's the cost of food that concerns me and after just sorting out my container balcony garden and thinning out and re-potting the veg, I can see it will be bloody hard work to keep it all going and live to off it.
14 April 2012, 16:15, (This post was last modified: 14 April 2012, 16:15 by Scythe13.)
Over the next 2 years, that tin of beans for 33p will be up near the £1.00 mark, no doubt.

Fuel will be up, which will drive up the prices of food, production, transport, and everything else. The price increases will come crashing down on.......the consumer. We are funked!!!!
However, this also means that the biggest transfer of wealth is right around the corner as well.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 April 2012, 18:59,
Like you GOM, we house hunted for 6 months in a tent. It rained and stormed A LOT.
No problems for us and the dawg though.
We got fitter, stayed cleaner, slept better, we eat healthier then we ever had.
No colds or sniffles AT ALL.
All the bad stuff only happened AFTER we got the house and got civilised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
paul that's funny you should say that but it's true we founded that aswell
house's must make us soft lol
to win the war, you must be willing to die
14 April 2012, 19:04,
(14 April 2012, 18:59)grumpy old man Wrote: paul that's funny you should say that but it's true we founded that aswell
house's must make us soft lol

Come on GOM, you must have figured that out earlier, or is this one of those "Oh, now I remember...." kind of moments?

It's like TV makes people stupid.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin