Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canned Cheddar Cheese
12 April 2012, 16:10,
RE: Canned Cheddar Cheese

I doubt any tinned cheese would be as good as fresh, If I had access to a cow or goat, I'd make it. The tinned stuff makes a decent cheese sauce and scones, which was the reason I bought it. One thing I would have big trouble doing without is cheese.
I didn't bother with the marg as I want to can some butter myself.
Another thing I want to try is dehydrating cheese but I'm not sure how long it would be good for. So many experiments, and at the moment, no time and money!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
12 April 2012, 16:19,
(12 April 2012, 16:10)TOF Wrote: I doubt any tinned cheese would be as good as fresh, If I had access to a cow or goat, I'd make it. The tinned stuff makes a decent cheese sauce and scones, which was the reason I bought it. One thing I would have big trouble doing without is cheese.
Another thing I want to try is dehydrating cheese but I'm not sure how long it would be good for. So many experiments, and at the moment, no time and money!

TOF cheese last near on forever when waxed, why not buy hard cheese and wax your own I do.

My reason for wanting canned cheese is no effort while in store, wax cheese you have to look after a little.
12 April 2012, 16:27,
(12 April 2012, 16:19)WetandCold Wrote:
(12 April 2012, 16:10)TOF Wrote: I doubt any tinned cheese would be as good as fresh, If I had access to a cow or goat, I'd make it. The tinned stuff makes a decent cheese sauce and scones, which was the reason I bought it. One thing I would have big trouble doing without is cheese.

TOF cheese last near on forever when waxed, why not buy hard cheese and wax your own I do.

My reason for wanting canned cheese is no effort while in store, wax cheese you have to look after a little.

I have a question, can cheese be stored waxed in say 1lb portions?

12 April 2012, 16:31,
(12 April 2012, 15:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP,

Good plan but reality will soon impact and we will be a lot less fussy about what we eat. Best introduce new food while you can so you don't have a shock further down the road.

i can see your point SD, i was just thinking apart from not maybe having medical help available, the last thing we want is the "trots" when there are scavengers aboutBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 April 2012, 16:42,
(12 April 2012, 16:27)TOF Wrote:
(12 April 2012, 16:19)WetandCold Wrote:

I have a question, can cheese be stored waxed in say 1lb portions?

Yes and half that if you want, I would suggest not smaller then 500g and my reason for saying this is you can get under wax mould which you have to cut away it’s like a small root, a 1lb block is about spot on, don't let the mould put you off, when cut away the cheese is fine.
12 April 2012, 19:44, (This post was last modified: 12 April 2012, 19:46 by Barneyboy.)
so are they safe to buy from bank details and all
that cheese is bloody cheap must be a catch
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
12 April 2012, 19:51,
I've ordered from them a couple of times Barneyboy. The service is very good, their fresh fruit and veg is fantastic. The cheese is much like any processed cheese, it's not fresh cheese, but it's cheesy.

12 April 2012, 20:22, (This post was last modified: 12 April 2012, 20:25 by Nemesis.)
(12 April 2012, 19:44)Barneyboy Wrote: so are they safe to buy from bank details and all
that cheese is bloody cheap must be a catch

The catch is the date on the cans, not that it really matters I am sure it’s all still good for many years.

I just got some more marg £36 for 100 quite large cans is no money.

100 x Rosa Margarine 450g = £25.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Offers: -£5.00
Subtotal: £25.00
Delivery: £16.50
Total: £36.50

The butter date exp 30-09-2012
The cheese date exp bbe 07 2012

Both cans were produce 01/2010

Just need to add I made a mistake with the cheese date, I said "exp" 07 2012 I should have said "BBE" 07 2012.
12 April 2012, 20:30,
thanks for that guys will be getting someBig Grin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
12 April 2012, 23:01,
Before you all rush on to the net and spend out on p&p as well, check your local cheap shops! I buy 3 x 226g Happy Cow tinned cheese (described as 'processed cheese with cheddar aroma'!) for £1 and likewise 3x 450g Rosa margarine for £1. Smile