Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rice
13 April 2012, 10:24,
rice
Lidl is selling 5KG of Basmati Rice for £4.99, we dont usually buy this much rice as we dont normally eat that much, but at that price we thought we'd go for it, is there any problems storing rice? do they get weevils like flour??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 April 2012, 10:37,
RE: rice
Best sticking to normal white rice, Less additives oils etc that will contribute to the spoiling.

I read somewhere, If you freeze the rice for a day first it will kill any eggs that may be in there, Then store in an airtight container away from direct sunlight and fluctuating temperatures.

AS for how long these will store for, Aint got a clue.
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
13 April 2012, 10:46,
i didnt think freezing actually killed the eggs, just put them to sleep, after freezing when the stuff is stored at room temperature they just wake up again!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 April 2012, 10:55,
From what i have read so far, a 72 hour freeze should do the job, Just make sure when you freeze they are in airtight containers to stop mositure and ice crystals getting in, Some people advocate a 2nd freeze as well.

You can always put in an oxygen absorber before storage as well to ensure if any eggs survive and hatch, then they will die of oxygen starvation anyway.

This is a project i will look into, I will post something in the next couple of weeks with the results.
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
13 April 2012, 11:48,
Rice will last for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_cTn6YpE
13 April 2012, 12:16,
White rice processed (fully washed and lost all its goodness) is the type to store for long long term.
13 April 2012, 13:03,
I've got shit loads stored... If it was good enough for the viet cong then its good enough for me...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
13 April 2012, 13:20,
A single freeze will kill the eggs but you need to ensure that it gets all the eggs so it needs to be in for a while. Flour, pasta, rice and the like can all be frozen and then stored.

Eating the eggs isn't a problem and it is only the damage they do that makes them a pest.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 April 2012, 16:07,
Diatomaceous earth will kill the insects when the eggs hatch. Brown Rice contains oil which will turn rancid in time. White Rice is the only rice that can be stored for years. Kenneth Eames.
13 April 2012, 18:27,
Recently came across this site may help

http://www.foodwaterstorage.com/
Failure is NOT an option