Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
quality metal entrenching tool
13 April 2012, 16:59,
quality metal entrenching tool
if anyone is around the leicester area there is a place selling metal army issue entrenching tools for £15 on boston road industrial estate its marked as "fishing and bait shop" ... cheaper than the gerber ones and superior quality.
13 April 2012, 17:09,
RE: quality metal entrenching tool
That's just got me thinking about something I've not realised. I'm not a fan of being entrenched.

If I had an assume rifle or something, I'd be entrenched and loving it. But if I was how I am, being entrenched might not be the best thing for me.

Other than low profile, what would the benefits of being entrenched be?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
13 April 2012, 17:15,
its more like a multi purpose shovel solid metal with a saw blade and razor edged ... just a usefull tool to have .. i have seen alot of semi plastic versions sold for more than double at camping shops.
13 April 2012, 17:18,
Well... Its mainly for facing other entrenched enemy troops like in ww1.
And to protect from morter fire and direct small arms fire not too good with air burst shells BUT a proper millitary constructed trench can withstand all but a direct hit from a morter and such.
They can also replace buildings as an underground version, less likely to be destroyed by tank fire etc...
The ideal is if you look at a picturesque view of the countryside there could be countless trenches hidden away full of soldiers watching and waiting hidden from sight.
All well and good till it rains for a few days and it ends up looking like the somme.
Useful to us in some ways but ours would tend to be more like a snipers o.p. not a trench.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
13 April 2012, 17:22,
if you want to dig a hole, buy a garden spade or a Devon spade(very long handle), better than any entrenching or folding tool, and you wont rick your back doing it either!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 April 2012, 17:32,
i though it was a handy bit of kit for a bug out vehicle or for something to have as a self defence item whilst out on recon post shtf
13 April 2012, 17:59,
(13 April 2012, 17:22)bigpaul Wrote: if you want to dig a hole, buy a garden spade or a Devon spade(very long handle), better than any entrenching or folding tool, and you wont rick your back doing it either!

That'd be too cumbersome for a BOV or BOB.
13 April 2012, 18:32,
folds up to 6" and is army issue accross the world ... no stress though,i think its a good to have .
13 April 2012, 21:05,
(13 April 2012, 18:32)Familyguy Wrote: folds up to 6" and is army issue accross the world ... no stress though,i think its a good to have .

It's something I'm really stuck with. I can't decide whether to get one or not.

I think this is the second thread I've questioned them on.
13 April 2012, 22:45,
Entrenching tools are a handy bit of kit and will perform other jobs too. They make very effective self defence weapons and have far more power & reach than a knife. In this circumstance they act just like a battle axe and the results are frightening. I think most people underestimate their usefulness and the ability to dig & move earth around has many purposes. That is why I am mainly building my multipurpose camp tool - because I realise the extra arsenal the entrenching tool gives you. However, I do not recommend the folding type. They are weak at the screw joint. The old fixed type with webbing carrying pouch was much more robust and is now sought after but still readily available. The only downside to a specific entrenching tool is the extra weight and clutter if intended for foot based bug out kit. For a vehicle they are excellent. Why anyone would want a full size shovel for the usual survival scenarios is unknown to me. I don't think the originator of the thread was suggesting an entrenching tool for home use..

By the way - just because in the military it is called an "Entrenching Tool", does not mean it is only for digging entrenchments.