• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts about bugging out
17 April 2012, 18:35,
RE: Thoughts about bugging out
Good luck with that.
20 April 2012, 12:50,
Document and Resource Storage
It's a problem that has no easy answer.

Take essential documents like passport, driving licence, etc.
You'll have to prove your ID at sometime, its inevitable, especially if there are govt set up food stations or population movement controls.

I'm not about to hand over original documents for inspection to some road block or food centre set up by the army, local plods, traffic wardens, or some paramilitary jerks.
Photostats, OK but original documents, no.
After all if they decide to keep them, what do you do if you move on?

Apart from that, would you choose paper or electronic storage for your documents and resources?
I'm a great one for the printed word. Something comforting about leafing through a booklet. Problem is my library is getting big AND heavy. Still, it doesn't need batteries and has another uses i.e. tinder and "hygene" (if you get my drift).

Ex mil will associate with this one. How often did you switch on an electronic device in the field and it didn't work? Anyone remember the Husky 1? SOP for it not starting was drop it on it's back edge to realign the battery pack. I lost count of the amount of screens I had to replace.

Now add rubbish mains power or a knackered generator and eventually all computers die. Solar power? You still can only charge batteries so many times before they fail. Long term and no electricity? It don't look good.

Having said that I still store electronic copies on USB key, SD chip, and CDR BUT they ain't all water or "stamp proof".
Also what format do you use?
PDF is meant to be a good universal document type BUT it relys on the idea that you can read it on a working machine that has an Acrobat reader (or equivilant).
JPG files are pretty bullet proof and universally viewable in any language (thinking New world army here).

Besides, would you be happy handing over a key, chip, or disk to an unknown person to put into an unknown computer and trust them only to access and copy the bits you want them to see?
Let alone trusting them to safely dismount the drive or not to give you a nasty little computer virus.

So what are you all doing?
Electronic or paper for the paper bits that matter.

20 April 2012, 13:22,
The issue is that even today our gov wants the originals and copies won't do so do you expect them to accept copies in the future. They will then want to keep them to control you. That is what governments do.

Best get some false docs now as they can't be verified in this future. Watch what names you use though.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 April 2012, 14:49,
yeah, but its not unusual for govt or other official departments to lose the original documents, so what then??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 April 2012, 16:08,
(20 April 2012, 14:49)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, but its not unusual for govt or other official departments to lose the original documents, so what then??

So far, that system they have has gotten me off a parking fine and forgetting to get my MoT renewed, and finding out while speeding. All in all, I'm glad our government sucks at some things! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin