Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Radio do you use
28 June 2012, 08:03,
RE: What Radio do you use
Hi Sixpotter,

yes, this is a radio taht a number of people on this site have acquired.

I have yet to play with one, but the technical specification and low price points are exceptional.

I recently purchased a Fedaixin FD880. I am quite satisfied with it but would certainly have purchased the radio you are looking at in preferrence if it had been available at the time.

Another radio to consider, possibly in addition is the Boafeng UV-3r. this is smaller, lower power and without as meany nice operating features, but id you get the Mk1 or Mk2 version it has a big advantage of running on low cost 3.6v mobile phone type batteries.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 June 2012, 08:42,
Ok will you bloody experts stop the technobabble and please tell me in PLAIN english if this baofeng UV-5R does the common CB bands such as 27 AM, 27 FM, Modern European CB frequencies as well as ham stuff?

28 June 2012, 10:03,
Hi NR,

OK a Technobabble free(ish) response ;-)

The UV-5R is capable of operating on Ham 2m and 70cm bands, all PMR446 frequencies, including the newly allowed LPD frequencies, and also the Marine VHF band. The unit has a very wide frequency response and is able to transmit outside of these regular bands as well. Additionally the unit has an a broadcast FM receiver built in for listening to conventional Broadcast radio (Radio 1FM, radio 4FM etc)

It will neither receive not transmit on conventional CB frequencies

Does this help?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 June 2012, 10:23,
(28 June 2012, 10:03)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi NR,

OK a Technobabble free(ish) response ;-)

The UV-5R is capable of operating on Ham 2m and 70cm bands, all PMR446 frequencies, including the newly allowed LPD frequencies, and also the Marine VHF band. The unit has a very wide frequency response and is able to transmit outside of these regular bands as well. Additionally the unit has an a broadcast FM receiver built in for listening to conventional Broadcast radio (Radio 1FM, radio 4FM etc)

It will neither receive not transmit on conventional CB frequencies

Does this help?

Thanks Light speed you truly do move at 176,000 miles per second, So pray tell me if you or anyone else can are we as a community looking towards CB frequencies, or Amatuer?

Is their a single affordable hand portable unit that does the US/ UK / EU CB bands in AM and FM that also does these Ham bands you chaps seem so keen on?

I would love a hand set that does the three or four CB banss in AM / FIM
that does the ham bands you suggest
Is Handportable
Has a good aerial or can easily plug one in
Preferable with a channel rather than frequency dial

I bet nowt like that exists

I also wish you technogeeks would hurry up and decide on a UK common prepper band that perhaps we could ask all the forums to adopt??

28 June 2012, 10:46,
I'm going for a 2 pronged approach to my comms. I've got the UV-5R, which, as LightSpeed covers above, does the 2m & 70cm bands. (130ish to 150ish & 420ish to 500ish). That's fine as you can use repeaters to improve your distance etc.

then I'm going to get a 10meter ham radio that can also broadcast on the CB frequencies. This is technically a little bit naughty, but I'm not going to be smashing out 25w all day long so shouldn't be a problem. Plus OfCom are too busy chasing illegal downloads at the moment to worry about little old me broadcasting with a bit too much power
28 June 2012, 10:51, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 10:53 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 June 2012, 10:46)00111001 Wrote: I'm going for a 2 pronged approach to my comms. I've got the UV-5R, which, as LightSpeed covers above, does the 2m & 70cm bands. (130ish to 150ish & 420ish to 500ish). That's fine as you can use repeaters to improve your distance etc.

then I'm going to get a 10meter ham radio that can also broadcast on the CB frequencies. This is technically a little bit naughty, but I'm not going to be smashing out 25w all day long so shouldn't be a problem. Plus OfCom are too busy chasing illegal downloads at the moment to worry about little old me broadcasting with a bit too much power

If you dont start speaking English I will shoot you the next time we meet !! Smile
Shirley there must be a radio that does the CB freqs and the 2, 10 and 70 bands that will meet our requirements?,

Bwaaaaahh why cant I get a simple answer to a simple question Sad

28 June 2012, 10:57, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 11:13 by 00111001.)
(28 June 2012, 10:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: If you dont start speaking English I will shoot you the next time we meet !! Smile
Shirley there must be a radio that does the CB freqs and the 2, 10 and 70 bands that will meet our requirements?,

Bwaaaaahh why cant I get a simple answer to a simple question Sad

There is indeed, but they are very expensive, and would be home based. I've not seen such a thing that could be mobile. You'd need a big antenna too to cover some of the frequencies, or possibly multiple antennae depending on the frequency range. I'm sure someone who knows more about it than me can explain properly Smile
This may explain better than I can:

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur...-well.html

This should do what you want Wink

http://www.hamradio.co.uk/amateur-radio-...d-2310.php
2 July 2012, 09:42,
My own Bug out radio is an Hendrix PFR3a

It is a three band station in a box the size of a hardback book.

The single box has its own rechargable power supply, cable to attach it to 12v power (PV etc), coil of 20m of antenna wire, built in morse code key, built in antenna tuning unit / SWR indicator and headset. cable to attach it to 12v power (PV etc).

This whole station together with a micro VHF/UHF HT fits into a waterproof plastic container within in the BOB.

This pair of radios allow me to operate locally by voice on PMR and 2m and 70cms, and pretty much country wide as well as international by morse code ( CW).
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 09:46, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 09:48 by NorthernRaider.)
(2 July 2012, 09:42)Lightspeed Wrote: My own Bug out radio is an Hendrix PFR3a

The single box has its own rechargable power supply, cable to attach it to 12v power (PV etc), coil of 20m of antenna wire, built in morse code key, built in antenna tuning unit / SWR indicator and headset. cable to attach it to 12v power (PV etc).

This whole station together with a micro VHF/UHF HT fits into a waterproof plastic container within in the BOB.

This pair of radios allow me to operate locally by voice on PMR and 2m and 70cms, and pretty much country wide as well as international by morse code ( CW).

Please explain kit choice, deployment and operation in more depth if you get chance, Your info is fascinating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05TT2tAyik

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy Smile

2 July 2012, 10:11,
(2 July 2012, 09:46)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 July 2012, 09:42)Lightspeed Wrote: My own Bug out radio is an Hendrix PFR3a

Please explain kit choice, deployment and operation in more depth if you get chance, Your info is fascinating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05TT2tAyik

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy Smile

After many years with radio as my hobby I had enough radio gear to fill a small truck. Something for almost every eventuality. When I started perpping I thought ah-ha, I'm prepared for anyhing... no problems.

But the nature of prepping starts a completely different thought process. What use is a van load of electronics without electrical power? What use is anything if it doesn't contribute to me fed, watered and warm

I retain a much smaller arsenal of radio gear now, having set up stations for a couple of prepper friend with my left overs. Hopefully those friends will survive and put the gear to god use, if not, the equipment is being well looked after and is effectively cached if ever I have need.

My comms kit falls into two distinct categories. That which I hope to use long term post SHTF and lightweight run to the hills type gear. The radio above is in the second category. In that kit I have absolutely no capacity for frivolous gear. Every ounce counts. You'd understand if you knew the georaphy around here. (eg on and 20km bike ride we expect to acend somthing in the order of 900metres :-( )

So the PFR puts me in contact with Morse code stations across the country and across the continent, and the little hand held keeps me in touch with my own local group as such they might be. The hand held will also interface well with any local raynet stations.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580