Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
25 April 2012, 23:47,
Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
I have some tarps that were once used as anti-aircraft thermal imaging armoured tank covers, enemy jets could not pick up the heat from hot engines when parked up, just looking through EBay I came across ones that I think are same type I have, these could be made into small covers to hide human while outside in woods or where ever, I don't want to go over the top which maybe I am but in theory these could be adapted to become the ultimate ghillie suit.

Correct me if I am wrong, it’s just an idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Army-4m-x-4...3374589880
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
26 April 2012, 00:06,
RE: Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
I've booked marked that, make a good cover over my tent.
26 April 2012, 00:16,
It is a bit stiff as it has like a metal sheet lining also little heavy, my idea was to cut them in to human size and then roll them up add straps and attach to bergen.
26 April 2012, 00:30,
I was thinking extra shelter but hung from trees over the tent would hide us as well I guess?
26 April 2012, 01:52,
(26 April 2012, 00:30)Prep Girl Wrote: I was thinking extra shelter but hung from trees over the tent would hide us as well I guess?

I think unless fully wrapped any leaks could be a giveaway.
26 April 2012, 08:02,
In the 80's we experimented with these covers to cut down IR from generators.
THey worked a treat. Took them on exercise and being over flown was ok(ish) sort of.
6/10 times we got 'found'.
Ended up with standard SOP of digging in and using them as top covers. Stopped most detection provided we ran the exhaust through a bucket of water to cool it down.

Problem was the opposition found us every time whether we had the Gen's running or not.
Why?
They had dogs. Dead sneaky that was.
Got to love those noses they have and their excellent hearing.

26 April 2012, 12:35,
Even the emergency blankets you can buy will cover your IR image. You can make a ghillie suit from them. These sheets are designed to keep heat in. That means it doesn't show your IR signature much.

Just remember though that the heat has to go somewhere and engines will eventually heat up so much it will spill out of the cover. Some with body heat but much slower.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 April 2012, 14:14,
Bit more information from this seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tarpaulin-Shee...35b90412eb
26 April 2012, 15:55,
If it is the same as one I have :-

I have a desert one from the 1st Gulf war I think. I picked it up cheap years ago. Eventually I cut it in two to make 2 mansized pieces. I have used it that way quite a few times and it makes an excellent thermal slightly padded personal groundsheet.

Upon cutting it open I found it consisted of 2 outer canvas layers that had a P.U. coating inside to make them waterproof. One note to mention here is that this does not stop the canvas itself taking in water and becoming heavier as a result. However the water does not pass through. This also means the complete item is not breathable. An important point to remember.

Inside were 2 unbleached layers of wool - thin army blanket style. Excellent insulation properties. Underneath these 2 layers of wool and immediately preceding the inner canvas layer was a fine layer/sheet of silver metallic filament woven material. This was fine. almost silk like in thickness/appearance but a bit stiffer. This was basically a v.fine mesh and was breathable.

I have considered in the past including this as a lining in a survival coat, but eventually realised the heat build up would not be good. Therefore I do see it's usefulness as a fine tarp type affair that could be used personally on its own for stealth or survival reasons or as combined with a shelter to the same effect. This mesh weighs almost nothing, whereas the complete tarp is quite heavy and not ideal for a BOB - but v.useful to be carried in a vehicle or for a base OP etc.

Maybe this info will help any deliberations. TL.
26 April 2012, 16:09,
You expecting people with FLIR tech looking for you?
Seems a bit OTT to me, but each to their own Smile