Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Knives
28 April 2012, 17:58,
Knives
Hi all,

This is really a help me post on what knife I should be looking for. I'm guessing it goes in here due to the fact its an essential part of the kit we have in our B.O.Bs and so on. I've got a mora companion but feel that I may need something more rugged for bigger jobs i.e. batoning. I wondered if anyone has got the gerber bear grylls ultimate knife as it seems pretty good from what I can see (including sheath).

If you have any other suggestions please let me know so I can make an informed decision Smile

Ross
28 April 2012, 18:05,
RE: Knives
(28 April 2012, 17:58)Roscoe Wrote: Hi all,

This is really a help me post on what knife I should be looking for. I'm guessing it goes in here due to the fact its an essential part of the kit we have in our B.O.Bs and so on. I've got a mora companion but feel that I may need something more rugged for bigger jobs i.e. batoning. I wondered if anyone has got the gerber bear grylls ultimate knife as it seems pretty good from what I can see (including sheath).

If you have any other suggestions please let me know so I can make an informed decision Smile

Ross
you've already got a decent knife, a Mora, for anything larger i would have thought a machette was what you needed!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 April 2012, 18:50,
I use an AK 47 bayonet for HD campsite work.

28 April 2012, 19:52, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2012, 19:59 by Nemesis.)
Hi Roscoe, I have many a knife and batten mostly with my Martindale Machete.

Be careful a lot of fakes around, I know this bloke in real life he won't sell a fake.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/marti...e-78-p.asp

Something I would like to direct you to is the Sog Field Pup, now I bought mine around December and in truth due to family illness I have yet to get out this year to really test it, but I wanted something small yet tough enough to do light batten work and generally abuse, even though I can't get out I have in my garden a bush craft camp all set up I have tested this knife and wow it can really take some GBH.

I know there are larger ones in this range so maybe consider this for larger batten work, I think Sog Pup Elite is its name, will look for a video I saw of that in action, after I post this.

http://www.heinnie.com/Sog-Knives/Fixed-...1026-1650/
Link to Elite:

http://www.heinnie.com/Sog-Knives/Fixed-...1026-1648/

This boy went through a knot:

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
28 April 2012, 20:45,
Currently I'm testing a Smith n Wesson, Search and Rescue model. It's passed every test so far, so I'm very pleased with it.

For battoning (I assume that's where you beat the back of the knife to split wood. I'm not great with tech terms haha) a full tang would be best. Also, a thick blade spine is important.

If you check out Nutnfancy on youtube, he has LOADS of good knife reviews, mostly tested in the mountains. He snaps one of the knifes because it just couldn't cope with being hit to split wood at really low temperatures (around -3 or -5 degrees I think it was). He also has a video called Why "Big Knives Don't Suck" it's a long video, but well worth watching. This guy knows his stuff from being a product tester and being in the airforce for most of his life.

A lock knife is great for space constraints, but the mechanism is a weak point for when you're beating down on it to split wood. That's why I vote for full tang.

Apparently the Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife is a pile of poop. Was looking at those myself, but from the reviews I've seen, watched, read, and heard, they're actually pretty crap, which is a shame, because BG is one of my heros! So having him endorse a substandard knife is a real letdown.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2012, 22:25,
I use a kukri.
Sharpen the hilt end to shaving sharpness (15-18 degrees), and the main blade like a machete (25-30 degrees).
Best of both worlds on one hefty bit of steel.

29 April 2012, 01:45,
True about the kukri. I use a very similar blade form - A Parang. Tradition jungle knife form the Far East. Kukri's & Parangs are very advanced bladeforms.

The Hudson bay Trading Company, back in the 16th century onwards used a type of knife that was obviously up to the rigours of dealing with anything the really wild west could throw at it. this type of knife was traded with the Indians who prized it very highly. There are some surviving line drawing pictures and wood cut pictures that survive in historical archives.

The approximate dimensions of the knife were about 18 inches long inc the handle. The blade was single edged with a thick back edge. The edge profile was curved similar to a stretched out parang and towards the front the curve was more pronounced in the heavier part of the blade for chopping etc. I seem to remember it did not have a clip point but the edge back from the point was more straight cut up towards the back edge - a bit like a dark age Seax (scramaseax to some) the tang would have run all the way through.

This design of knife would have been arrived at through function & robustness in antiquity prior to our first surviving records of it. It appears in the drawings to be used for everything including chopping logs & preparing timber, camp duties etc. The basic design was repeated through history when army commanders needed some type of bladed weapon for their boggy infantry that they could not destroy in cutting down trees for firewood (95% of usage for soldiers of the time) or in other camp type utility duties.

I am wary of bayonets as I have had them snap under simulated combat conditions. Also it is interesting to see their internal construction after one of these events. The ones I had broken were specifically designed for thrusting and had no serious lateral strength. Looking at other styles, like Warsaw pact ones, then they look designed for all round use, although I have not had one in bits to analyse it.

Anyway I will stop now before I drift on to unconnected subjects. Regards, TL.
29 April 2012, 08:54,
(29 April 2012, 01:45)Timelord Wrote: I am wary of bayonets as I have had them snap under simulated combat conditions. Also it is interesting to see their internal construction after one of these events. The ones I had broken were specifically designed for thrusting and had no serious lateral strength. Looking at other styles, like Warsaw pact ones, then they look designed for all round use, although I have not had one in bits to analyse it.

Snapped bayonet saved my life.
I'm sprawling, the prat missed me and dug his blade into a door frame. Snapped his blade off at the hilt.
I got a lot of love for a 9mm at close range.

29 April 2012, 18:07,
Brilliant responses guys, especially TL! After watching a lot of youtube videos and reading some reviews I've actually gone and purchased the BG ultimate knife, the reasons why. I dont yet feel comfortable having a machete or similar large blade around the house without having somewhere to store it responsibly (very interested 19 month old running riot is safer without said blade), also I'm just getting to grips with using knives for camp work and the like. The other reason that attracted me to it was the sheath, I like things that are practicle and I think having a firestarter, whistle and sharpener with the knife is a brilliant idea.

I am however still intersted in a few other pointy things so will keep looking and I love that SOG seal pup elite, looks comfortable and really strong!

Ross
29 April 2012, 18:10,
I've heard really mixed reviews on the BG knife, which pushed me away from it.

Once you've tested it out, it would be great to get a review of what you thought about it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin