Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Personal Protection Dog Training
30 April 2012, 14:31, (This post was last modified: 30 April 2012, 14:37 by g79.)
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training
When he's a pup his first instinct is to bite everything.Stop him biting the things you don't want him to by using a sharp no command and allow him to bite your hands and legs while using the command you expect to use to command him.Every time he bites your hand say something like get hand, when he bites your foot say get foot.Bear in mind the difference between hand and foot has a different meaning to him,but the command GET will mean the same thing so you have to choose the command carefully as if you tell him to get the ball,you know what he's going to do to it.You can use a stick if you don't fancy him biting you but then you have to train him in body parts too.To do this say the body part whilst holding a treat to the body part after a while when you say the body part he's expecting a treat and he knows where it's going to be ,so he goes to that part to have a look.If you have trained him to bite on the word GET and trained him where the hand is he will GET the HAND.With time he will learn the commands and what is expected of him.Make sure you reward him every time he gets it right,think like Pavlov.He used to ring a bell while his dogs were eating ,no commands nothing,never said a word.After a while he would ring the bell and the dogs would start salivating as if they were eating.Training is just a form of mental conditioning.Works with people too.
Going on from SD post ,you MUST make sure the dog knows he is at the bottom of the pack,never put the dog before family not even if you come through the door and he's there waiting for you ,ignore him until after you have greeted everyone else.Also never let him go through a door before you.You are the alpha dog and he must know it.
When my dog pushes his luck,,I pin him to the floor and take his throat in my mouth while growling and biting gently.I don't let go until he stops struggling and submits.My dog knows whose boss but he still tries it on now and again.

Messages In This Thread
Personal Protection Dog Training - by 00111001 - 30 April 2012, 11:34
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 14:17
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 14:31
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 30 April 2012, 15:22
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 15:27
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 16:05
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 30 April 2012, 16:16
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 10 May 2012, 18:13
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 15 May 2012, 17:46