Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens
8 October 2011, 16:50,
Chickens
I'm looking at getting some chickens for the back garden. I've read a few books as usual but I always like to get advice from real people as well.

What do you think are the best chicken breed for a simple home and howmany would you suggest would be the minimum you should have?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 October 2011, 05:39,
RE: Chickens
During the war we kept Rhode Island Reds in the garden and fed them on corn, veggies, and of course they ate insects. Grit has to be included in their diet. Its worth getting a good book . Buy a copy of one of the Smallholding magazines they usually have information on chickens. We used to boil a mash for them and add the corn. The mash was veggies and left-overs from the table (not much of that). I've not kept chickens since so have forgotten a great deal about it. We had six chickens and a Cockrel. Sufficient eggs during the laying season for five of us. Kenneth Eames.
9 October 2011, 08:25,
These magazines are very hard to find. I found a copy once in my local newsagent and bought it out of curiosity.

http://www.isubscribe.co.uk//Magazines/I...fAod6jLYRQ
9 October 2011, 12:09,
I have some books, I'v read some of the magazines. Each recommends a type for meat, another for eggs and another for both. They have a mini farm set up. I was just looking for what someone reading this has that works.

Ken,

Was the cockerel particularly noisy?
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 October 2011, 14:19,
hi guys ,ive kept chickens for just over 12 months, it costs a few quid to set up ,but its well worth doing, rhode reds lay a nice big brown egg on average one a day each.you should be able to find a local smallholding supplies to get layers pellets £6 for a 20kg bag or you can feed them on scraps i do that sometimes.I got a news paper the farmers weekly and found an advertisement for a local poultry dealer and bought 6 pol chickens for aboul £8 each, pol stands for point of lay chickens usually about 6 months old, went you get them home they wont lay untill they feel at home that took me 6 weeks,
10 October 2011, 02:34,
SD, the cockerel was noisy, but people in the war didn't bother about that. There were worse noises than that. I lived in Portsmouth and of course, being a Naval base, we were often visited by the Luftwaffe and the Anti-aircraft guns made a hell of a racket. I don't have a garden where I live now, otherwise I would have chickens again. There is a cockerel nearby where I live now, and I quite like to hear him in the morning. I am an early bird and am always up by 5 o'clock in the morning, having always risen at that time. Kenneth Eames.
28 October 2011, 10:11,
WH Smiths currently keep magazines such as " Practical Poultry" and "Practical Pigs"

Seriously, honest I'm not joking though I'm struggling to imagine articles in Practical Pigs such as DIY Pig, Pocket PIGs, EDC pigs, using pigs as BOVs, Tactical assault pig systems, and prepper pig" Smile
You can subscribe via http://www.subsdeals.co.uk

28 October 2011, 10:53,
(10 October 2011, 02:34)Kenneth Eames Wrote: the cockerel was noisy, but people in the war didn't bother about that.

Ken,

Things have changed. People whinge and whine about the slightest thing and a noisy cockerel would certainly be one of those.

NR,

When I start looking seriously I'll get some mags and have a read.

Skean Dhude
28 October 2011, 11:44,
Northern Raider you forgot, Thermo-nuclear Pigs For Beginners, Ninja-piggy Self Defence and Popular Pigtastic Car Maintenance.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
28 October 2011, 12:02,
In my collection of PDFs I've got a good one on raising Chucks and another on raising Bunnies, trouble is I cant post em on forums so if anyone wants a copy of em PM me with a valid E mail addy and I'll send em to you.