Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
5 May 2012, 22:12, (This post was last modified: 4 July 2012, 18:10 by Skvez.)
Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
Hi everyone

Today was the Bristol Meet 2, and it was good to meet the guys. Quite a few that said they'd come were either unable to make it and notified me, or they just didn't turn up. Either way, it's cool, each and every to their own.

But that got me thinking.

I have been called out and challenged as to my ability to survive and do certain things.

Well.....here's the fun thing.

I'm issuing a challenge to everyone on this forum! Oh yes! You did hear that right! Here is a challenge!

I'm calling each and everyone of you out! Haha

Since only WnC and myself have participated in the Bread Challenge (to which I totally sucked, but really enjoyed the process), and I was also called out on the wild food challenge (to which I sucked, but really enjoyed the challenge...well, actually, because of where I was and the time of year, I had a massive advantage).....I'm now going to call out a challenge.

This is an easy one, and it'll use the honour system, same as the Bread Challenge (I'm stunned nobody even tried to cheat, but it does mean you're all honourable people).

This is my first forum wide challenge!

You have to try to make a fire without using matches or a lighter.

Yeah, you're damn right! It's easy. You can use a gas stove and just get a spark to set it alight. You can compress wet straw and get it to spontaneously combust. You can use wool and a flint-steel. You can even use the old fashioned Chinese fire pump.

Since so few people have stepped up, now's your time.

Yes, this is a straight "Prove you're not full of crap" challenge. I know many of you will laugh at how simple this challenge is.

However, by Scythe13's new process of elimination rule (or opinion haha) even if you can do this, show us your flames. To those of you that do not participate in this challenge, you should really question what you're posting. If you're unable to start a fire, then that's not a problem. If you're not even willing to try (please note, the challenge is to actually try, not necessarily to succeed) then you should seriously consider your willingness to learn and develop as a person.

I'm calling the whole forum out on this.

Step up, or step back.

There is a time limit....AUGUST 2012. For those that join the forum after this, it's still a great thing to try!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 May 2012, 23:55, (This post was last modified: 6 May 2012, 00:15 by 00111001.)
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge*****
Done Smile

Photo's to follow - they're just uploading now
Right, here's my attempt.

This was a very good challenge for me. I've got a fire kit, which consists of tyre inner tubes, ferro rod and cramp balls (and a couple of lighters just in case)

It's pretty windy out here tonight, and a bit wet. The inner tube just wouldn't take, need to experiment more with that, but when drunk isn't the best time. I snapped some branches off the dead bush I ripped out of the ground yesterday, and snapped those up for kindling. Still wouldn't take. Tried with the cramp ball, turns out that obviously got damp at some point, so that wasn't even a slight possibility. Grabbed some tissue, stuffed that under the kindling, smashed it with the ferro rod and away we go Smile See the pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61489080@N03/

Who's next?
Excuse my ugly mug in the pictures Smile AND the dodgy photo's. The missus and the mother in law were in charge of the camera.
6 May 2012, 00:25,
I will do it but not tonight.

00111001 what is the edge like on that MOD Issue knife you have, I have been meaning to get one.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
6 May 2012, 01:39,
(6 May 2012, 00:25)WetandCold Wrote: I will do it but not tonight.

00111001 what is the edge like on that MOD Issue knife you have, I have been meaning to get one.

It was really fucking blunt when I got it. Didn't have much luck with a stone, an its way too wide to fit in my gerber sharpener. In the end I took the dremel to it. Got a nice edge now. Holds it well too. Its sheffield made though, cant beat a bit of English! I paid £60, but it was unissued. Think I may have paid over the odds for it though...

6 May 2012, 09:23,

I will readily admit I am completely useless at fire starting without a lighter/matches/incendiary of some sort. I have thrown at least 3 ferro rods into the undergrowth in a fit of pique. I can light a fire with a fresnel lens though. So I'll freeze to death if the fire goes out and it's not sunny. Hey ho.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
7 May 2012, 23:04,
Not a problem TOF. All you need to do is to try. Doesn't matter if you fail or not. What matters is that you try.
7 May 2012, 23:28,
(6 May 2012, 01:39)00111001 Wrote:
(6 May 2012, 00:25)WetandCold Wrote: I will do it but not tonight.

It was really fucking blunt when I got it. Didn't have much luck with a stone, an its way too wide to fit in my gerber sharpener. In the end I took the dremel to it. Got a nice edge now. Holds it well too. Its sheffield made though, cant beat a bit of English! I paid £60, but it was unissued. Think I may have paid over the odds for it though...

It was traditionally the case that unissued edged weapons had a "semi-sharp" edge. This was because if they were sharpened from manufacture, then the indefinite time in storage could end up with them being blunt by the time they were issued. Also it minimized damage to the edge prior to issue. Once issued, then the trooper would be responsible for a sharp edge.

Contrary to this last point, there are also historical accounts of many foot soldiers in historical times, actually leaving their swords unsharpened until nearing the time or scenario they were likely to be used in. This again was to minimize damage to the weapon & also the person carrying it. I expect this was not historically the norm though.
Regards, TL.
8 May 2012, 13:46,
Any sensible soldier makes sure his tool of the trade is sharp before he enters the fight regardless of the state he keeps it in generally.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 May 2012, 13:52,
Well if I cant manage fire then I really should have stayed in the city Smile im in......
8 May 2012, 15:01,
(8 May 2012, 13:52)Illepidae Wrote: Well if I cant manage fire then I really should have stayed in the city Smile im in......

Get in mate!

Straight on the scene, straight in at the deep end! Great attitude!