Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal kit
8 October 2011, 17:02,
Thermal kit
I have a wide variety of clothing that I have bought and tried over the years. My favourite jacket is an old camoflage jacket with a waterproof inner coat. The problem I have is I need to wear a sweater or something under it for winter use although my legs and feet usually end up the coldest part of me anyway unless I wear several pairs of socks.

I've been thinking of trying some new thermal wear but never tried it yet. Is it any good? What is the best type to be looking at? Do they come as complete outfits?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 October 2011, 13:17,
RE: Thermal kit
Thermal (long) underwear is pretty cheap and reasonaly effective.
It's used a lot by skiers but despite it being used by cowboys most men thinks it's 'soft' to wear long underwear.
It's certainly worth having a couple of pairs in your preperations as central heating for our homes will be one of the things we all miss and even if you have wood or other heating it's probable that in a 'bad scenario' we don't dare use it for the first winter until after the big die-off.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
10 October 2011, 14:54,
Thermal or base layers as they are known, can be picked up very cheaply in stores like Go outdoors, snow and rock. Millets, Blacks e.t.c.
I wear them under my snowboarding clothes when I pop off to the alps over christmas and hit the slopes. the temperature at the top of a mountain in the middle of winter can be minus 20 or lower and I find that these base layers are more than enough when worn under a snowboarding jacket to keep me warm.
Like all things you get what you pay for, although even the cheap ones are good enough for an English winter.
as with most clothes you can pick up a good bargain in the sales, for boarding/skiing stuff this is usualy around March/April when the season is closing down in europe.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

11 October 2011, 16:40,
Try this

http://www.thermalshop.co.uk
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

11 October 2011, 17:23,
Thanks
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 October 2011, 05:18,
I have a couple of sets of Helly Hansens. I have 2 pairs of leggings but several in different styles of their tops from the T-shirt type to long arm ones. Keep an eye out for offers from Go Outdoors, Blacks and Amazon.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
24 October 2011, 17:13,
i'm old fashioned, i like longjohns and knee length wool socks, just bought 2 pairs of longjohns and 5 pairs of kilt socks.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 November 2011, 23:59,
Well there you go folks big pauls got our shelter needs sorted with his long johns.....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
23 November 2011, 00:35,
Merino wool wicks very well, and warm.

Last thermal's I bought were angora/wool mix very warm.
23 November 2011, 09:45,
I've got various layers of micro fleece, 200 fleece, cotton T shirts, Norgies, foil lined fleece jackets, and a parka to play with.