Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Time for AU and AG
10 May 2012, 17:27,
RE: Time for AU and AG
You make collodiate silver with silver and this is used to kill bacteria. Silver is valuable to have in that respect.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 May 2012, 19:06,
(10 May 2012, 17:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: You make collodiate silver with silver and this is used to kill bacteria. Silver is valuable to have in that respect.

Here's a useful site for home generation of Coll-silver for you. [Linky]

Problem is getting pure enough silver. (99%+ purity). You can buy it in the UK though. Pure silver wire costs about £20 for 4x4" lengths.

10 May 2012, 20:05,
(10 May 2012, 19:06)Paul Wrote:
(10 May 2012, 17:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: You make collodiate silver with silver and this is used to kill bacteria. Silver is valuable to have in that respect.

Here's a useful site for home generation of Coll-silver for you. [Linky]

Problem is getting pure enough silver. (99%+ purity). You can buy it in the UK though. Pure silver wire costs about £20 for 4x4" lengths.

If you're buying it in bullion or coin form, it'll be about £32ish an ounce right now.

Amazingly enough, a couple of years ago, it was about £7 an ounce!

In a few years time, it'll be worth a hell of a lot more!!! Some predictions are pushing the same as what gold currently is!!! That'll be £1000 an ounce, or there abouts.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 May 2012, 22:28,
(10 May 2012, 16:43)Jan Wrote: Interesting, how does silver keep milk fresh?

In ye olde days a silver coin or spoon in the milk would keep it fresh as it's antimicrobial. Some other metals have the same effect - although I'm not sure I'd want to drink milk that I'd stuck a copper pipe in the week before...

It's the oligodynamic effect.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodynamic_effect
10 May 2012, 22:46,
A small silver cup or goblet is a good survival item. If water is left stood in the cup for over 30 mins, then the bacteria level drops drastically. I may have a link on this somewhere. I will look after the weekend when I got time. Also it can be cut up into "hack silver" for barter.

Scythe, I would just like to say (which I can elaborate on later - but no time now) -- Why do you think it is we find gold & silver coin hoards buried in the ground?? Even other metals for that matter??

Also in a barter / limited monetary exchange society which could be the case PSHTF, then precious metals are only worth their weight in gold(their true value) ie, we will not have the global financial market to peg the value at. That will be all gone!! All you will have in your hand is a commodity of exchange which is worth what ever someone is prepared to barter you for. What the heck will the present rate of money market exchange(at the PSHTF time) mean then?? Nothing is the answer. ...

Maybe you could bury it until the good times roll again or until the barbarian hoards have passed by or until that local Warlord stops taking an interest in that heavy pot you are carrying... Either way, someone else might be digging it up a thousand years later...
11 May 2012, 11:47,
if "the event"..whatever it is..is just a small term event-say 4 to 6 months something like that..and then its all as before, then it might be worth investing in some gold or silver...if you've got any money that isBig Grin i think most preppers are as poor as the proverbial church mouseTongue however if the event is a total collapse of society as we know it and no coming back from it..not for centuries anyway..then i think Gold and Silver will be pretty worthless..i mean who is going to sell food or animals or anything else for something they cant spend? only the village idiot!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2012, 11:49,
(11 May 2012, 11:47)bigpaul Wrote: i mean who is going to sell food or animals or anything else for something they cant spend? only the village idiot!

Unfortunately there are plenty of those about. Whether they'll have anything you want to give them the PMs for is another matter.
11 May 2012, 11:54,
(11 May 2012, 11:49)00111001 Wrote:
(11 May 2012, 11:47)bigpaul Wrote: i mean who is going to sell food or animals or anything else for something they cant spend? only the village idiot!

Unfortunately there are plenty of those about. Whether they'll have anything you want to give them the PMs for is another matter.

how very true, we've got the breeding lumpunt brigade round here, no brain cells but boy-have they got an attitude!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2012, 11:58,
(11 May 2012, 11:54)bigpaul Wrote:

how very true, we've got the breeding lumpunt brigade round here, no brain cells but boy-have they got an attitude!

They breed at an alarming rate too!

They're the one's to watch out for though. I'm not sure I'll be doing much trading if SHTF. Finding someone who, firstly, has something useful, and secondly, would want to trade rather than rob you - is going to be difficult...
11 May 2012, 14:51,
(11 May 2012, 11:58)00111001 Wrote:
(11 May 2012, 11:54)bigpaul Wrote:

They breed at an alarming rate too!

They're the one's to watch out for though. I'm not sure I'll be doing much trading if SHTF. Finding someone who, firstly, has something useful, and secondly, would want to trade rather than rob you - is going to be difficult...

you'r so right, i wouldn't trust this lot around here NOW never mind AFTER TSHTF, anyway OH has already said if TS really does HTF and its the "real mcCoy" she dosent want to stay here in that case, so we will be bugging out.