Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Time for AU and AG
19 May 2012, 23:41,
RE: Time for AU and AG
I suspect London will be abandoned as far as the MP's staying there to govern. The place would just be far too dangerous. the ruling elite will already have relocated by then. Same as the war plans for the last 70 years. If it is a major upheavel event and everything goes down hill fats, then attempting to garrison of feed troops into a mjor urban area as London could swallow up a lot of manpower and equipment and it might not be seen again. Scotland is afavourite bolt hole of the power people on this island.

Like The Ned says, the military will have predetermined strategic locations to secure. Some of their peacetime camps may be vacated or just have a skeleton crew if the manpower is required elsewhere.

I often see and understand the point about soldiers leaving the ranks to go home to find & protect their loved ones, but on reflection I agree with local Ned on this one - while soldiers going awol may and will be true in many individual cases, the military as a whole will go on lock down and no soldiers will be allowed to go anywhere unless tasked with a mission. The forces will be pretty effective at maintaining this for the majority - Unless of course the event is so cataclysmic that even this order can not be maintained -- But if that was the case, then this discussion would be imaterial anyway. So without it being that extreme, I think there will be limited desertions. The other services like police & customs however, will likely be a different story. I expect many public servants will naturally have a priority for their loved ones and there will be no effective discipline of physical safeguards to prevent them & hold them in the line of duty. This has been shown in more recent natural disaster events. For example, I know a nurse who was tasked with providing anti radiation medicines to key workers in the event of a nuclear event in the Portsmouth area. She thought it was quite ok to state to friends that if there was such an event, then she would not be hanging round to distribute any of it. She was happy to accept more pay for having these extra duties though!!

I think that if you have some military experience and you wish to try finding any remnants of the military to hook up with, then that on the face of it seems like a good plan. I would however be careful about any wandering about in military monitored areas near to their base and even trying the link up process may be a very dangerous phase. They might[/align] be very jumpy and already have had experiences with rogue wanderers. Also, think wether they want any refugees and their families. Maybe your skills could be useful to them but there is also a logistical & operational aspect from their point of view. They may well want you, but they also may not. It could be a serious gamble to take if you are in a family group. Probably a worthwhile one, but just don't assume they will let you in with open arms.
20 May 2012, 04:16,
Cool Thanks TL ,

You seem to be on the same wavelength as myself regarding the status of the armed forces after an event...I too expect most of London to be abandoned , most of the country in fact.

I couldn't agree more about linking up with the military , at best I hope to expect - if not open arms , at least some form of help / protection.
Obviously the meet will not take place until I have had a chance to recce and observe their reactions to nearby civilians. Thats a given.

No point in getting out of the frying pan, and straight into the fire mate. Sad
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
20 May 2012, 18:35,
With ypu there. Actions speak louder than words.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 June 2012, 07:14,
I have found this a very interesting and valuable discussion and I must study it in depth. So many interesting points. I am sure that, After cogitating upon it, I will have gained a greater insight and have modified my views upon the subject. Kenneth Eames.