Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED torch
13 May 2012, 01:19,
LED torch
I assume you can count a torch as a tool?

I lost my main LED pocket torch whilst jumping across some sand dunes by night last week. So to replace it I looked for a budget torch that uses good components. It this case the Cree 7 watt 300 lumen LED as used by various police and military. I know that when a good battery flows through that LED that good things would happen. The only gamble on the cheap torch is build quality of the aluminium, the reflector, lens and switch.

I found loads, and ordered one for under a tenner from Amazon, as I thought I couldn't lose for that, even if I had to just strip it for components. But the thing is brilliant... well made, good switch (for a change) and despite its minuscule size it manages to floodlight my garden pretty well. It works well with both normal AA and the 3.6 V AA sized lithium batteries.

[Image: 510IxUiJyyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Sorry if this is SPAMish, but I thought I'd share this, as a tiny bright torch is a BOB must, and I can't imagine there is much better for under a tenner. .. and I don't work for Abboax... whoever they are.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUMENS-Flashligh...589&sr=8-1

I just whacked a bit of petrolium jelly on the threads and it's better than any of the military issue Maglights that have broke on me (why did I keep on buying them?). Obviously motorcycling is more demanding on equipment than fighting in the US Air Force!?!?
13 May 2012, 20:11,
RE: LED torch
I see a torch as a tool quite important one as well.

I would be mindful of the switch on that one and also you might want to undo the screws to the clip and put a bit of decent glue like ct1 or something then do them back up, if this has not already been done.

Last torch lost cost me £50 my son got demoted to a £10 lidl cree.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
14 May 2012, 11:02,
i buy cheap(£1.75) pocket torches (9 LED's) either on ebay or in markets and get several at a time.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 May 2012, 23:35, (This post was last modified: 14 May 2012, 23:35 by Tonka.)
(13 May 2012, 20:11)WetandCold Wrote: I see a torch as a tool quite important one as well.

I would be mindful of the switch on that one and also you might want to undo the screws to the clip and put a bit of decent glue like ct1 or something then do them back up, if this has not already been done.

Last torch lost cost me £50 my son got demoted to a £10 lidl cree.

Yes, the clip has worked lose already, so I'll do that, thanks. I don't buy expensive torches any more. I lose / break them too often. Most people are't quite as hard on these things as me though. I can be a bit of a biological crash test dummy kit. It it survives a bike rally / camping trip with me then it's suitable for war.

(14 May 2012, 11:02)bigpaul Wrote: i buy cheap(£1.75) pocket torches (9 LED's) either on ebay or in markets and get several at a time.

Those super cheap pocket torches are pretty good most of the time. I have a few dotted about the place.
I actually have far too many torches really. I have a load of various wind up ones too. No... I've changed my mind, you can't have too many torches.
15 May 2012, 06:43,
I am sure most of you know this company, based in china, I have bought from them quite a few times and never had any missing items; just don't wait for the parcel let it happen as it can take a month or so.

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/cree-flashlights-901
15 May 2012, 10:04, (This post was last modified: 15 May 2012, 10:08 by NorthernRaider.)
I've got Fenix Flashlights in the families bug out bags all AA cell powered, I feel good quality reliable flashlights are very much needed in BOBS, around the house and in our EDCs we used the AApro flashlights from B & Q they are good value at £20 each they also run on AA cells. Oddly enough my own favourite EDC flashlight is a Next torch hybrid thing that has a Cree LED and a focusable lens, it will run on either 2 x AA cells or 1x CR123A cell. I believe even many of the top mark flashlights are now made in Asia
Forgot to mention that I also have plenty of chemical light sticks all over the place, ie by the cooker, by the fuse box, by the house alarm, next to the smoke detector, by the front door, in the van, in the 4x4, and in the BOBs as well.
I only use Duracell Ultra AA cells or the very long life high drain Energiser ultimate litium AA cells.
I only actually put batteries in our EDC flashlights, the batteries and flashlights in all the kits are always kept seperate to prevent damage from leakages or power loss over time.

15 May 2012, 12:44,
Same here I went with Fenix as my hand held and led lensers for my air guns.

AA and AAA and D is a must for me as so many around even though we lose some power going with these type cells it is worth it for say post shtf, the most common type cells.

Fenix are not overpriced and made quite well, same with Led Lenser, the geeks tend to slag them off, but geeks always tend to slag something off, I other than strip down to clean my tk40 switch which took all of 10 mins to do have had zero problems and they get used a lot even though I am not in the woods this year I do still do late night walk, and take one with me mostly my Fenix TK70, got stopped by the police one night they just wanted to see the torch due to its power just a pull over chat thing, only reason they were there was due to the London riots.

TK40

TK70

Led Lenser P7

15 May 2012, 13:28,
All my electrical handheld kit inc torches is gradually being converted to run on rechargable AA cells. I have a solar charger for this. I reckon this will be the most common battery type to be found PSHTF and I can use non rechargables also.

Remember that the mass of burglar alarm systems have 12volt lead acid batteries in the control panels. These will be plentiful immediately PSHTF. They are easy enough to carry and will run 12volt car bulbs & a lot of the other 12volt stuff ok without having to lug car batteries about in a semi mobile situation. A 12volt solar charger would be ideal for this.

15 May 2012, 14:01,
I did a mobile solar build something I could use in the woods over the weekends, charge my radios, a night light even make fire; I think I will replace the batts with something that has more amp hours.

I did think of car batts, lorry batts, even them solar panels and batts on road signs, but I must admit I failed to consider house alarms, not only do you get a batt, you get on many a solar panel to charge it.

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=641
15 May 2012, 15:31,
Try the cree led torch £8 in Asda.
I have it mounted on my rifle.
Super little light, 3 aaa cells power it so a solar charger has no problem recharging the cells.
For rabbiting it's perfect.

A while ago I had the TEsco cree torch, only 2 aa cells but just as good. £7.50

Neither of the two will illuminate the world BUT they are both VERY BRIGHT and over 20 yards at night, it's enough to get most prey to look directly into the beam.

For self defense, both are metal bodied, tough as nails, and at REALLY close range good at dazzling an aggressor.
The Tesco cree torch worked a treat as a short baton when three 'erberts tried it on in Lincoln a few years ago. It put two down before the lens broke. (Wondering about number 3? He ran).