Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Superbugs arise
14 May 2012, 17:19,
Superbugs arise
This was copied from a long article with adverts & other unrelated bits. there may be a bias but it is interesting all the same:-

(NaturalNews) It is no longer a secret that drug-resistant bacteria are rapidly emerging and spreading all around the world as a result of the continued overuse and abuse of antibiotic drugs in both conventional medicine and industrial agriculture. But now it appears that the genes responsible for spawning these so-called "superbugs" are also spreading, and turning otherwise mild conditions such as throat infections into deadly killers.

Known as NDM-1, or New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-1, these genes basically hitch a ride on mobile DNA loops known as plasmids, and latch themselves onto various bacteria whenever and wherever they find an opportunity. The end result of this parasite-like invasion into bacteria is that even largely innocuous microbes can become extremely virulent and fully able to outsmart even the strongest antibiotic drugs available.

"Things as common as strep throat or a child's scratched knee could once again kill," said Margaret Chan, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) at a recent meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark, about the phenomenon. "Hip replacements, organ transplants, cancer chemotherapy and care of preterm infants would become far more difficult or even too dangerous to undertake."

According to a recent report by Bloomberg, the spread of NDM-1 and antibiotic-resistant superbugs has become so extreme that even beneficial bacterial, also commonly referred to as "probiotics" or "gut microflora," are being affected as well. And as long as antibiotics continue to be abused in the careless way that they now are globally, the situation will only worsen over time until eventually even the most minor infections and injuries become fatal.

"If this latest bug becomes entrenched in our hospitals, there is really nothing we can turn to," said Donald E. Low, head of the public health lab in Toronto, Ontario. "Its potential is to be probably greater than any other organism."
14 May 2012, 17:25,
RE: Superbugs arise
i made some remark about this some time ago......it seems that Doctors and Dentists and other health people seem to dole out antibiotics for any rip and trip, so its no wonder that resistant bugs have evolved.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 May 2012, 18:07,
The best chance we have of surviving this kind of superbug scenario is to either catch it early and build a natural immunity (if possible), or to do one of BP's favourite things and just stay away from the general populace.

What annoys me is that I never get ill, same as WnC and a few others on this forum. As a result of the antibiotic drugging of society the viruses are becoming stronger! That issue caused me a problem. Superbugs are possibly going to be able to be able to beat my immune system. So, basically, because other people don't have good health, our world get's invaded with superbugs!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 May 2012, 21:13,

I'm the same, can't remember the last time I was ill and I think the last time I had antibiotics was 1992ish.

I'm wondering if going back to older methods of aseptic techniques will be as effective in the long run. Carbolics and the sulphanilamide drugs and such.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
15 May 2012, 10:44,
iodine use it a lot my kids dont mined the sting an more kills all germs but can brake down new skin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 May 2012, 11:17,
I think over prescribing antibiotics is just one cause of the increase and spread of these superbugs. An example: In the early 1990's I worked for the Ambulance Service when MRSA first became prevalent. I have never seen mismanagement of such enormity. The rule for us was to use the 'dirty wagon' that was a dedicated vehicle used specifically for dangerous and highly contagious diseases. It was stripped out to it's bare minimum, any equipment needed by the patient in transport was supplied by the hospital. The crew were gowned up and used barrier care. Now get this.... The Hospital Staff and GP's complained that Ambulance Service personnel and vehicles were scaring the infected patients! As a result, infected people were then transported in the usual Emergency Vehicles and were not isolated from the general hospital population, add to that poor cleaning in Hospitals by Cleaning companies and quite frankly, you're back in the days of the Napoleonic wars!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
15 May 2012, 11:33,
I remember seeing a scary bell curve graph somewhere, I think it was an A-Level Biology lesson, showing that the discovery of new drugs/antibiotics has peaked at around 1950, and has been declining ever since. There are alternatives, and I don't mean crystal channelling/ earth spirits alternative. E.g. Honey, put into an open wound, draws water out of microbes by osmosis, killing them. Vinigar, garlic, have about a million uses in medicine beside eating. Don't forget maggots either Tongue!
One case I saw first hand was a chronic smoker in my village, think the most unhealthy 50 year old imaginable. He fell and broke his collarbone, and the docters were freaking out because of the potential implications with difficult healing. He smeared comfrey ointment on it every few hours for about a week, and the doctors were amazed. Total recovery! Comfrey has also been called Knitbone in the past.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
15 May 2012, 15:55,
this is one of the reasons we are giving up on car boot sales....the other reason is there crap down here. we are only going to 3 events this year: The Green Scythe fair near Langport in Somerset on Sunday 17th June, Blackdowns Woodland Fair near Wellington in Somerset on Saturday 7th July, and The Wilderness Gathering in Wiltshire on Saturday 18th August, the rest of the time i am keeping well away from the general public and WHEN TSHTF we are going into TOTAL isolation at our BOL well away from anyone else>
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 May 2012, 17:18,
Read a report not long ago about superbugs.
In the USA they have gone back to smothering 'difficult' infections with honey.
Good success rate too with a lot of the up and coming antibiotic resistant strains.
Funny how history repeats it self isn't it.
Honey and sugar dressings were used in the Napoleonic wars.

15 May 2012, 17:32,
Honey can be used on any wound of any sort, good for burns as well, Manuka honey is very good but its expensive, if you can find someone in your area who keeps bees then the more local to you the honey is produced the better it is supposed to be.