9 is bad
10 is v.bad
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Risk Assessment
2 July 2012, 09:26,
RE: Risk Assessment
I think it is more so for rural environments.

Nobody is planning to take over the tower block in our area. However, everyone looks at the little farm on the outskirts and thinks I'll move in there. Do you think you are the only one that knows about these places. The owners, the kids and friends of the owners, the handyman who added the wood burning boiler, etc. they all think they will move in and take it after an event. Some are closer than others.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 09:45,
One chap who use to be in UKSG way back when found an interesting place to get out of the way, it was ontop of one of those huge great big brick n concrete water towers they use to hold domestic water supplies in low level areas down south. He found out that some were grossly over engineered so that in case of war Searchlights, small AA guns or radion bases could be set up on top. These days no one bothers with such military plans and thus the roofs of these towers are rarely visited. Good place for a BOL and no shortage of treated clean water.

2 July 2012, 09:52, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 09:59 by Lightspeed.)
(2 July 2012, 09:26)Skean Dhude Wrote: I think it is more so for rural environments.

Nobody is planning to take over the tower block in our area. However, everyone looks at the little farm on the outskirts and thinks I'll move in there. Do you think you are the only one that knows about these places. The owners, the kids and friends of the owners, the handyman who added the wood burning boiler, etc. they all think they will move in and take it after an event. Some are closer than others.

Indeed the case for smallholdings close to urban centres, there could be a lot of displaced and desparate people withthe same idea. Not good

The really remote places should be safer as most displaced people will not have either the resources nr wherewithall to reach them. However anyone suddenly arriving in a remote rural area from afar can be expected to be very well prepared and well resourced. They will be a major threat and a major target at the same time.
(2 July 2012, 09:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: One chap who use to be in UKSG way back when found an interesting place to get out of the way, it was ontop of one of those huge great big brick n concrete water towers they use to hold domestic water supplies in low level areas down south. He found out that some were grossly over engineered so that in case of war Searchlights, small AA guns or radion bases could be set up on top. These days no one bothers with such military plans and thus the roofs of these towers are rarely visited. Good place for a BOL and no shortage of treated clean water.

The brother of one of my daughter's friends at boarding school was always disappearing and none of the masters knew hwere he was hiding out. It was only many years after he had graduated that his lair was discovered.... it was the huge disused water tower that had served the scool in days gone by. Aparrently he had it well set up... bed, armchair, table, camping stove and lights... and all this 50 feet off the ground. God only knows how he got it all up there..... I wonder where he is now, probably lurking on this site..... it's not you SD is it?!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 10:16,
Not me. I tend to dig in when I'm hiding. I had a space in the basement where it was all locked off except for one small window that I used. Power, water, a comfy chair, a small TV and a radio. Bliss. If only they had DVDs when I was a lad in the 1800's. OK, maybe not that far back but the best we had was Radio Luxembourg. The TV was useless. Oh, what rebels we were.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 10:20,
(2 July 2012, 10:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: Not me. I tend to dig in when I'm hiding. I had a space in the basement where it was all locked off except for one small window that I used. Power, water, a comfy chair, a small TV and a radio. Bliss. If only they had DVDs when I was a lad in the 1800's. OK, maybe not that far back but the best we had was Radio Luxembourg. The TV was useless. Oh, what rebels we were.

Mine was the old coal shed at the bottom of the garden, dad had trellis fastened all around it to grow veg up, I managed to set up a hidey hole accessed by the little 2ft x 2ft coal shovel door at the bottom.

2 July 2012, 10:49,
(2 July 2012, 10:20)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 July 2012, 10:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: Not me. I tend to dig in when I'm hiding. I had a space in the basement where it was all locked off except for one small window that I used. Power, water, a comfy chair, a small TV and a radio. Bliss. If only they had DVDs when I was a lad in the 1800's. OK, maybe not that far back but the best we had was Radio Luxembourg. The TV was useless. Oh, what rebels we were.

Mine was the old coal shed at the bottom of the garden, dad had trellis fastened all around it to grow veg up, I managed to set up a hidey hole accessed by the little 2ft x 2ft coal shovel door at the bottom.

Hey, we're onto something here. Mine was an old chicken shed in a remote corner of the plot. It had its own water supply and candle lighting and creature comforts like packing case chars and war-room table and proved a great place for honing air rifle skills to the detriment of the local ornithology!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 10:51,
I guess kids who have secret dens must evolve into preppers and people who are members of Subterrainia Britanica !!! ?

2 July 2012, 11:06,
(2 July 2012, 10:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: I guess kids who have secret dens must evolve into preppers and people who are members of Subterrainia Britanica !!! ?

How did you unearth (pun intended) my secret so quickly???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 11:11,
I used to have a den in a tracklayers steel doored locker built into the side of an abandoned NE Railway tunnel, twas great until some bleeding pippistrel bats made the tunnel their home then the happy clappy environmentalist found out and had the tunnel bricked up with holes only big enough for the bats to get in.

2 July 2012, 11:21,
(2 July 2012, 11:11)NorthernRaider Wrote: I used to have a den in a tracklayers steel doored locker built into the side of an abandoned NE Railway tunnel, twas great until some bleeding pippistrel bats made the tunnel their home then the happy clappy environmentalist found out and had the tunnel bricked up with holes only big enough for the bats to get in.

You don't want to go sharing a BOL with bats.... they carry rabies even in the UK :-(

Prob best to leave the tunnel bricked up fro the time being.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580