Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home security
5 September 2011, 11:02,
RE: home security
Lots of CCTV and razor wire stand out because we do that as a deterrent. We could hide these and discourage people without making the place look attractive to thieves.

There is access to my back garden from my neighbours garden. This was used as a shortcut for years until I removed the pole they used as a hand hold, put a bucket of slimy water where they landed after crossing and planted some raspberries there. After many a happy evening listening to curses it has stopped. A bramble replaced the raspberries and the water and I replaced the pole. I now have an emergency exit, where needed. All I do is pull back the brambles which are kept trimmed and I'm out.
That bird house was a legitimate expense.
15 September 2011, 21:31,
I am going with spikey shrubs for the new perimeter (Hawthorn, Holly Blackthorn etc) the existing perimeter is getting raspberries, blackberries and a few dog roses added to it. I plan on getting a watch/guard dog in the near future too.
16 September 2011, 23:47,
dogs give the game away and look like a meal to someone
to win the war, you must be willing to die
17 September 2011, 10:29,
(16 September 2011, 23:47)grumpy old man Wrote: dogs give the game away and look like a meal to someone

Well trained dogs won't and they may look like a meal but it isn't as if they are sandwiches sitting there to be taken.

If you are in a remote retreat then it is easier. Keeping one in a flat in a housing estate is a bit more of an issue.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 September 2011, 00:02,
good point, but i think i would need a pack if i was to have any.
18 September 2011, 09:42,
Nothing wrong with that. I was looking a different dogs for different things but they are really only suitable for a remote house. You can't hide a dozen dogs in a flat in London. Don't forget they need a supply of food for the transition and even worse, exercise, plenty of walking before the event.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 September 2011, 23:15,
as i live in the hills opsec wouldn't be that much of a problem for me and a did think about different dogs for different jobs.
but i see all the problems like food and welfare too and it puts me off having them
as things are now i don't have to worry about animals when making plans.
the animal welfare is just as important now in pace time when preping but i am weighing the odds up
19 September 2011, 09:30,
The issue with getting a dog is you need to be a dog person now. You need to get it train it, walk it, feed it and live with it. Two dogs are not too much different. But if you are like me, I don't think I have the time for a dog atm. Yet, like our supplies it needs to be in place before an event.

I won't be getting one now but I am intending to get one eventually.
Skean Dhude
23 October 2011, 00:07,
Basic home security can be quite simple and effective. If you have a conventional wooden front door with a Yale type latch then it would be a good idea to fit a deadlock to the door as well - preferably a mortice type of fixture which complies with the latest British Standards. If you have a back door of the same construction then I would suggest a deadlock here too. If you are in the house then shoot bolts top and bottom would come in handy as well. Whilst on the subject - UPVC doors usually come with multipoint locking systems. Older types did have only one lock and it might just be possible to upgrade these with a bit of thought.
Opening ground floor windows should have visible locks and any opening windows that can be accessed from a flat roof should also have the same treatment. It is also possible to improve up and over garage doors with extra locks and or shoot bolts.
The thinking behind all this is that a regular/professional burglar will easily spot what you have done and keep clear because he will realise that you have given this some thought and hard work is not the name of the game. An opportunist/amateur will have a hard time and/or make a mess of things and hopefully give up and go away having learned a lesson or two.
There might just be a further benefit here if you tell your insurance company that you have upgraded security that you could get extra cover at no further expense or possibly a discount on your premiums.
If you are considering cctv then good lenses on the cameras are a must if you want to be able to identify the perpetrators and I understand that there are certain planning requirements that you have to adhere to as well with regard to minimum camera height and the number of cameras. I would also suggest that a covert system might be preferable to an overt one - but that does rather depend on your area and particular problem.
Hope this has been of some use.
24 October 2011, 19:34,
Apart from external security such as surround the house grey man style with vicous plants, I think booby traps are likely to backfire, especially with my family Smile

First line perimeter security could be barbed or razor wire, high fencing, broken glass set into concrete etc, but in some locations that is likely to ATTRACT attention rather than deter it. Some scumbags will see the security measures and wonder what it is protecting. So where possible you may wish to consider GREEN security IE surround your place with vicous plants. they are self maintaining, low profile, frequently better than mand made and dont attract attention.

Natural Protection/Defensive Planting
From http://preppersuk.freeforums.org/

Using naturally vicious plants to protect your garden perimeter is one of the best low maintenance long term projects you can adopt as a prepper, even apartment dwellers can train thorny plants around the edge of the balcony if you have a balcony of course.

A barrier of prickly hedge may be all the protection you need around your property. Here are some suggestions for plants to use.
o Creeping Juniper Juniperis horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - Also known as 'Blue Rug' because it has long branches and its prostrate shape forms a flattened blue carpet. It has a thorny stem and foliage.
o Blue Spruce Picea pungens 'Globosa' - Rigid branches, irregular dense blue, spiky needles. Height 1-1.25m x 75cm - 1 m. Slow growing. Moist rich soil.
o Common Holly Ilex agulfolium - Large evergreen shrub, dark green spiked leaves. Large red berries on female plants only. Any well drained soil. Plant with garden compost and bone-meal.
o Giant Rhubarb Gunnera manicata - Giant rhubarb-like leaves on erect stems, abrasive foliage. Can grow up to 2.5m high. Plant by water-side for effect.
o Golden Bamboo Phyllostachys aurea - Very graceful, forming thick clumps of up to 3.5m high. Less invasive than other bamboos. Hardy. Young shoots in spring.
o Chinese Jujube Zizyphus sativa - Medium sized tree with very spiny pendulous branches. Leaves glossy bright green. Bears clusters of small yellow flowers.
o Firethorn Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem. Height 10-15ft. Suitable for north or east-facing wall or as impenetrable hedging.
o Shrub Rose Rosa 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup' - Excellent ground cover, pale pink flowers, very thorny stem. May to September. Plant with garden compost and bone-meal.
o Pencil Christmas Tree Picea abias 'Cupressina' - Medium-sized tree of columnar habit, with ascending spiky branches. Attractive form with dense growth. Avoid dry chalky soils.
o Juniper Juniperus x media 'Old Gold' - Evergreen. Golden-tipped foliage. Prickly foliage. Height 2ft. Spread 6ft. Low growing. Excellent ground cover.
o Purple Berberis Berberis thunbergil 'Atropurpurea' - Rich purple foliage. Thorny stem. Medium-sized deciduous. Any soil sunny position.
o Mountain Pine Pinus mugo 'Mughus' - A very hardy, large shrub or small tree, with long sharp needles, of dense, bushy habit. Leaves in pairs, 3 - 4cm long, rigid and curved, dark green, cone.
o Blue Pine Picea pungens 'Hoopsii' - Small to medium-sized tree, spiky needled stem, densely conical habit, with vividly glaucous blue leaves. Likes moist, rich soil.
o Oleaster Elaeagnus angustifolia - Small deciduous tree, about 4.5 to 6 m (15 to 20 feet) high. Smooth, dark brown branches that often bear spines and narrow, light green leaves that are silvery on the undersides. The flowers are small, greenish, fragrant, and silvery-scaled on the outside, as are the edible, olive-shaped, yellowish fruits, which are sweet but mealy. Hardy, wind resistant, tolerant of poor, dry sites, and thus useful in windbreak hedges.
o Blackthorn Prunus spinosa - Also called Sloe; spiny shrub. Usually grows less than 3.6 metres (12 feet) tall and has numerous, small leaves. Its dense growth makes it suitable for hedges. White flowers. Bluish-black fruit is used to flavour sloe gin.
In addition, the following thorny plants can also be considered:
Aralia, Chaenomeles, Colletia, Crataegus (including hawthorn/may), Hippophae (sea buckthorn), Maclura, Mahonia, Oplopanax, Osmanthus, Poncirus, Rhamnus, Rosa (climbing & shrub roses), Rubus (bramble), Smilax, Prickly ash(Zanthoxylum).
Although they will take some time to grow in the end you will have a very tough self repairing vicious perimeter defence

Narrative is by NR, plant list from a crime prevention leaflet I had laying around for years.