Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken... 3 years past use by date... tasted great
11 June 2012, 08:48, (This post was last modified: 11 June 2012, 08:58 by bigpaul.)
RE: Chicken... 3 years past use by date... tasted great
(10 June 2012, 22:53)Tonka Wrote: Where I shop dented tins are usually just left of the shelf at full price.

My dented tins tend to leave the shop fine but become tended when my cats manage to break into the food cupboard. They where left locked in a flat to starve by their previous owners and they are now survivalists themselves with extreme scavenging skills. A child lock on the cupboard and big pile of tins doesn't always keep them away from the treats.
My food cache is well out of the way of cats though.

So bigpaul, are you saying you bin every dented tin you have, or just that you don't see the point in buying dented tins?

And WongFeiFox, that sounds like good advice on checking tins. I used to camp without a tent... but not without a sleeping bag and waterproof cover.... and definitely not without food. Once I propped a bin bag on a stick to keep the rain off my head, and I awoke to find a fox trying to eat me. He thought I was a bin find of the century.
Was your Dartmoor adventure an experiment?
what i am trying to say Tonka, is that i dont EVER buy dented tins, i dont see the point, in good times, to take any chances with food, after TSHTF then yes i would grab every tin i came across but in the good times i dont see the need.

what i will say to everybody who commented on the Dartmoor thing is, Dartmoor is 1 of the last wildernesses left, it might look pretty on postcards or driving through on your summer holidays, but it is an unforgiving place and many people have come a cropper and had to be lifted off by helicopter with a broken leg or exposure or worse, its not somewhere to try out those experiments without the proper kit, apart from the Forestry Commission plantations(working environment) it is open and exposed . i have lived most of my life with Dartmoor on my doorstep, for several years i lived in a cottage ON Dartmoor, i have spent weeks camping on the moor myself-but with the correct kit, whatever else you do, do not take chances on the moor. bravado is not a substitute for experience.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chicken... 3 years past use by date... tasted great - by bigpaul - 11 June 2012, 08:48