Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal defence kit ?
3 June 2012, 14:56, (This post was last modified: 3 June 2012, 15:08 by NorthernRaider.)
Personal defence kit ?
So guys what do you carry that could be used as improvised defensive kit in case you are assaulted.

My runs along the lines of
Synthetic Polymer tactical pen (hich can be used as a blunt striking tool)
Stainless steel pen same use as synthetic one.
Car and house keys on a chain and belt clip ( can be used as a flail to keep attackers at arms length
Multi tool ( which used closed can be used like a set of knuckles)
Padded leather NI gloves and Tactical gloves ( used to fend off striking blows)
One of my pairs of boots has steel toecaps, another pair has steel sole segs ( both can be used to kick attackers)
Tactical alloy flashlight with serrated bezel edge( Blinding attacker with high powered light and fending off attacker with serrrated allow body. I hear some people with valuable expensive tactical flashlights ensure they do not lose they by attaching a length of chain to the flashlight and often keeping a set of keys on the other end!!!

Naturally being a law abidding citizen I would never carry of use any sort of bladed impliment like a knife, or baton, but because of the severe injury to my abdomen that has kept me in and out of hospital recently I now freqtly use a hikers walking pole ( telesecopic).

Other items I find are better quality brollies, walking sticks etc
I do carry a knife as a field craft tool when out in the boonies or working outdoors, but naturally its always a legal to own type
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passive defensive issues usually involve me following the practises laid out in the Grey Man concept, such as dressing down to blend in, keeping valuables concealed (especially things like headphone wires for I pods etc by routing the cables inside my clothing) Keeping my watch covered, not using the cell phone in open places etc, not carrying a bag that advertises " bling". Wearing clothing like 5:11 or Craghoppers or Regatta Cargos with concealed pockets. Footwear is often of the tactical / approach shoe or hiking shoe type rather than fashion or dress shoes which offer greater stabilty on most terrains. I prefer to wear shades when the lighting levels are suitable so as to never appear to make challenging eye contact with possible aggressors

3 June 2012, 15:53,
RE: Personal defence kit ?
hmmh lets see: belt, key chain-very long dog chain actually, car keys, walking staff when in the woods....actually on my person thats it..apart from my "coughs" actual knife on my belt...but were not counting that right? its a working knife for cutting string and stuff..right??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 June 2012, 21:52,
Pre SHTF If you want to be treated like the victim of the attack rather than the criminal, then scenery and practise are the best weapons. No one would accuse you of taking a set of iron railings to a fight, but they do a lot of damage. You just need to reverse things. Instead of hitting someone with a bar, hit the bar with them. A simple hip through can be a dangerous thing when timed and aimed to coincide with a granite kerb-stone. Not that I don't trust our legal system to allow someone defending themselves to actually defend themselves... oh wait, that's exactly how it is.

This isn't always possible, so when you really need to improvise then your list sounds spot on. Decent boots and keys especially. I would be concerned that a 'tactical' pen may be considered a bit dodgy, they way a screwdriver would. I'm not sure on that.

I've taught my wife some 'key' self defence moves. No one likes want a Yale through the trachea, or an ignition key to the cornea.
3 June 2012, 22:57,
i carry the phone number of my solicitor and keep quiet when the old bill turn up...if someone wants to attack a fella with two dogs then its game on in my books.
3 June 2012, 23:26,
I guess the comb in my bag.
Alcohol rub
Keys
keys on the chain.
The chain itself
The spyderco bug on the chain.
The can opener on the key chain.
The CRKT EatNtool tactical spork on the chain.
the rubberised gloves in my bag
4 June 2012, 12:16,
I have been trying to find somewhere I can learn self defence, (I.E. not watered down dancing / karate they teach at the local high school.) I'm thinking of practicing getting over walls, fences, hedges quickly etc, so at least I can put some distance between me and my attacker.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
4 June 2012, 14:12,
T 735 Ju jitsu is the militarised version of most martial arts and there is also an Israeli martial art that I cannot remember its bloody name, when I was young I did many types of martial art then just selected the bits that best suited my build and fighting style.

Hojuku is the art of the Long Rifle and in the UK its followers use tactical shotguns and assault courses to develop their skills.

You can learn tactical movements and obsticle crossing in the TA infantry

4 June 2012, 18:30,
the thing with most martial arts is you have to do them and put the hours in training the better you become the more you learn and understand, ju jitsu is one of the oldest forms going back before 700ad through all the battles every army uses a watered down version so their troops can defend them selfs when unarmed but until you grade up passed black belt you wont know the counters so when the new forms like krav maga or systema or used great until you come across someone who knows what their doing remember for every move there is a counter and a counter for the counter a black belt only says you know the basics the first step (sho dan) and will take you about 4 years to get there best stick with a gun if you harts not in it
to win the war, you must be willing to die
4 June 2012, 18:48,
Tis better to have some skill in a desperate situation than none.

4 June 2012, 19:37,
Also the battlefields have changed, what was once of use against a bamboo armoured Samurai might not be so useful outside a chipshop. There is a reason that Armys change tactics to go with the times.

Ter