Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workmans clothing.
6 June 2012, 14:59,
Workmans clothing.
I had the misfortune to spend a four day holiday doing DIY this last weekend, but on one of the many trips into Stirling to go and get supplies because things did not fit (Thanks IKEA!) we went into Screwfix and they had some workman's clothing on display.

Now, this stuff, some of it is reasonably priced, some of it is comparable with some branded outdoor gear, but it's bloomin tough and what's more, I personally think you would not stand out quite so much in this clothing as you do in ex army or some out door clothing. Plus they are loaded with pockets and and tool loops and knee pad holders etc.

It's certainly made me rethink some of my clothing choices. I may be buying some work clothes from now on instead of army or outdoor gear.
Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
6 June 2012, 15:30,
RE: Workmans clothing.
A great deal of my clothes that I use in the woods and on the hills are working clothes. I even buy safety boots for my hikes. Many working clothes and boots are very sturdy. I especially like 'Dickies@ boots. Kenneth Eames.
6 June 2012, 15:33,
Work boots tend to be cheap and last well, not sure I could walk as many miles in them as I do my "walking boots" but for putting into stock, they are ideal.
The Market Stick
6 June 2012, 16:22,
Getting away from the military & combats look is a wise idea.[/align]
6 June 2012, 16:26,
(6 June 2012, 16:22)Timelord Wrote: Getting away from the military & combats look is a wise idea.[/align]

There are some things like wind-proof smocks that the army does very well, the only thing I have found that's affordable and similar but civilian to one is a Fjallraven G1000 jacket. Still looks a bit army though, although it is just plain black. Great bit of kit.

I would feel more comfortable buying work clothing in bulk than military clothing in bulk. I am going to do some looking around and find some good alternative work/outdoors kit.
The Market Stick
6 June 2012, 16:33,
never had any problem with camo clothing, but then i dont live in a city, around here combats and camo jackets are normal work gear and nobody looks at you twice, if you walked around here in a 3 piece suit then you would get the stares!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2012, 16:39,
True enough round here too, I have cammo stuff for hunting, but there are more people these days in working gear than cammo gear. Same as a white van attracts little attention.
The Market Stick
6 June 2012, 16:49,
i suppose it all depends on what you can get hold of, i get cheap jeans from Premier Man when they have a sale, i get them for £10 a pair and buy several pairs at a time, i have trouble getting jackets and tops around here due to my size( why do you think they call me BIG Paul??Big Grin) so i buy a lot of stuff online, mostly ebay and surplus stores, i get a lot off ebay and get it delivered to the door, if i tried to get it locally i would have to go into Barnstaple..thats a 50 mile round trip and several hours in the car.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2012, 16:55,
(6 June 2012, 16:49)bigpaul Wrote: i suppose it all depends on what you can get hold of, i get cheap jeans from Premier Man when they have a sale, i get them for £10 a pair and buy several pairs at a time, i have trouble getting jackets and tops around here due to my size( why do you think they call me BIG Paul??Big Grin) so i buy a lot of stuff online, mostly ebay and surplus stores, i get a lot off ebay and get it delivered to the door, if i tried to get it locally i would have to go into Barnstaple..thats a 50 mile round trip and several hours in the car.

That makes sense. I do like to be able to see what I am buying though, love the net, but prefer buying face to face.

You a big chap then? Big Grin
The Market Stick
6 June 2012, 17:01,
(6 June 2012, 16:55)Morgan Wrote:
(6 June 2012, 16:49)bigpaul Wrote: i suppose it all depends on what you can get hold of, i get cheap jeans from Premier Man when they have a sale, i get them for £10 a pair and buy several pairs at a time, i have trouble getting jackets and tops around here due to my size( why do you think they call me BIG Paul??Big Grin) so i buy a lot of stuff online, mostly ebay and surplus stores, i get a lot off ebay and get it delivered to the door, if i tried to get it locally i would have to go into Barnstaple..thats a 50 mile round trip and several hours in the car.

That makes sense. I do like to be able to see what I am buying though, love the net, but prefer buying face to face.

You a big chap then? Big Grin

yep, if you come to the Scythe fair or the Wilderness Gathering it shouldnt be hard to spot me....just ask Northern Raider-he had me spotted straight off at last years WG.Big Grin