Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find and Plot Cell Phone Towers near you.
8 June 2012, 11:09,
Find and Plot Cell Phone Towers near you.
http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

Put in your postcode to see cell phone towers near you, drag map around to see surrounding areas, scroll in or out to see general area and position of towers, clicking on the markers will provide you with indepth technical data.

29 June 2012, 13:47,
RE: Find and Plot Cell Phone Towers near you.
NR, can you explain the advantage of knowing where the cell towers are?
Is this just so you can pick the best network for your location or is there some other davantage (or threat) that they offer/pose?
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
29 June 2012, 14:05,
In some areas cell phone service providers have few towers and thus poor infrequent reception, IE Vodaphone doesnt work near my house but 3 does. So it helps you choose your provider.
Secondly some cell phone tower sites , some not many have back up gennies and fuel supplies, read into that what you will.

29 June 2012, 14:09,
Most comms towers are battery backup and have control circuitry. Depending on your needs it may be advisable to take them out, scavange the batteries and the kit. Perhaps, if you can, plug in and see who is out there.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 June 2012, 14:18,
I think that also after a total societal collapse the top of a cell phone tower would be a good place to stuff a CB aerial !!!! if you needed the occasional longer reach?

29 June 2012, 14:32,
i suppose you could use it as a look out tower? not me though..i get vertigo!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 June 2012, 14:39, (This post was last modified: 29 June 2012, 16:20 by Skvez.)
Thanks NR,

Most cell towers are mains powered with battery back-up.
Only the ones that are remote from the mains (up a mountain in the middle of no-where) have gensets (usually a solar, possibly wind powered with generator to top up the batteries if there are lots of calm cloudy days). Of course "in the middle of nowhere" is exactly where we want to be in an event.
The genset is probably too big to move without a truck and lifting gear. (probably about the size of a chest freezer, maybe a little smaller)
There might still be fuel there depending on how quickly the situation degrades to the point where you feel comfortable stealing (err 'borrowing') it.
I believe (not 100% sure) that the cell tower should stop draining the batteries when they get low rather than flatten them to destruction. So they should be useable for a few months but will probably need charged.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?