Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comment on BBC from Aberystwith
9 June 2012, 10:46,
Comment on BBC from Aberystwith
Just heard a caller to BBC 24 hr news saying he purposely bought his house on high ground and keeps at least a years supply of food.

Currently he has over 25 refugees from further down the village whose homes are completely flooded.

He also pointed out that the main road to his community is now closed due to major flooding which means the locals are on their own as the only available helicopters are tied up rescuing folks from flooded caravan parks.

Be it Bostcastle or Aberystwith this country cannot cope with major catastrophes, all to often we hear that folks are staranded without food, water, suitable cothing, essential medicines, fuel or a way out and the authorities are saying they cant do anything else cos they are fully commited.

Self reliant prepping is the ONLY sensible option.

9 June 2012, 18:33,
RE: Comment on BBC from Aberystwith
And the hosepipe ban is still in force there. I hope they are not using hosepipes to pump their homes out with.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 June 2012, 18:48,
(9 June 2012, 10:46)NorthernRaider Wrote: Just heard a caller to BBC 24 hr news saying he purposely bought his house on high ground and keeps at least a years supply of food.

Currently he has over 25 refugees from further down the village whose homes are completely flooded.

He also pointed out that the main road to his community is now closed due to major flooding which means the locals are on their own as the only available helicopters are tied up rescuing folks from flooded caravan parks.

Be it Bostcastle or Aberystwith this country cannot cope with major catastrophes, all to often we hear that folks are staranded without food, water, suitable cothing, essential medicines, fuel or a way out and the authorities are saying they cant do anything else cos they are fully commited.

Self reliant prepping is the ONLY sensible option.
my parents generation always seemed to manage when anything like this happened, they always had matches, candles etc.etc. and they had larders full of food, i suppose being part of the war generation -if you can survive that you can survive anything? the modern generation are so namby pamby!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 June 2012, 18:53,
my nan used to say you can never have to many tins or the the things to get food ,she made a lovely rabbit and bacon pie with my granddad veg from his garden there was all ways some thing to eat every thing has to be fast now
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
10 June 2012, 09:14,
i prefer slow food to fast food, fresh and well cooked!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 June 2012, 07:18,
The old time diet was better for Brits, many gut problems today are due to Indian, Thai, Chinese and other foreign foods. My brother in law had Indian friends who he used to eat with. After a year he suffered severe gut pains, his Doctor was an Indian and he told him that the Indian food was causing the gut problems. Indian food is for the Indian climate and developed over thousands of years of use. Brits need food suitable for a temperate climate. I now await the flak! Kenneth Eames.
11 June 2012, 09:03,
(11 June 2012, 07:18)Kenneth Eames Wrote: The old time diet was better for Brits, many gut problems today are due to Indian, Thai, Chinese and other foreign foods. My brother in law had Indian friends who he used to eat with. After a year he suffered severe gut pains, his Doctor was an Indian and he told him that the Indian food was causing the gut problems. Indian food is for the Indian climate and developed over thousands of years of use. Brits need food suitable for a temperate climate. I now await the flak! Kenneth Eames.

you wont get any disagreement from me Kenneth, good old fashioned English food( meat and 2 veg?...no jokes please!) cooked properly, we use a slow cooker for a lot of our food and its cooked until the meat is (literally) falling off the bone!Big Grin
12 June 2012, 01:22,
Oh shit! I just found out my parents road is now a 3 foot deep fast flowing river. I read it in the news... I wonder why they didn't call me. I may have to skip work tomorrow and go around to help. I hope the the 4x4 will be enough... perhaps I should stick the boat on the roof just in case?
12 June 2012, 11:44,
(12 June 2012, 01:22)Tonka Wrote: Oh shit! I just found out my parents road is now a 3 foot deep fast flowing river. I read it in the news... I wonder why they didn't call me. I may have to skip work tomorrow and go around to help. I hope the the 4x4 will be enough... perhaps I should stick the boat on the roof just in case?

just dont get stuck in the water and add to the problem- why dont you just phone them first??
12 June 2012, 23:11,
(12 June 2012, 11:44)bigpaul Wrote: just dont get stuck in the water and add to the problem- why dont you just phone them first??

Well yes I of course phoned them. It was midnight when I read the news, and posted. I phoned them first thing this morning and spoke to my mum. She was very blasé about it all. Apparently their front and back garden is flooded but the house if fine. Their near neighbours where evacuated though. The she told me that my dad had gone out to play in it on his mountain bike. He's 72. I think I underestimated them. So they really didn't need a rescue mission. Which is a shame, as it meant I just had to go into work rather than going and playing in the floods.

I have a couple of motorbikes parked up in their garden though... I forgot to ask about them!