Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden storage help
18 June 2012, 20:00,
Hidden storage help
Hi there, we have worked out that the best location for us to store food is our cubby hole under the stairs. It's cool and brick built and pretty large really.

It's actually my work-shed at the moment, but I can sacrifice a couple of feet for food/gear storage.

My issue is making it a bit less obvious, I want to section off a foot or so at the back, but getting it to blend in is the issue as the rest of it is all old red brick. I don't expect it to pass a thorough examination, just a torch shone in and a quick look type of thing, it's really not big enough to hold a massive amount without it being obvious.

Therefore it needs to look like old, coal dust covered red brick, but be light enough and easy enough to move out of the way to get at the stored material.

Any suggestions?
Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
18 June 2012, 23:19,
RE: Hidden storage help
i have wood pannals, yes i know it looks out of date, but you can hide so much behind them, it has a gap of about 4 inches so cans and other bits can go thier easy enough
19 June 2012, 06:36,
Handy that!

I have a pretty good idea what to do now, I have been doing some research and a simple frame with a board to cover it, with brick pattern wallpaper over it should suffice. It's dark in there and still has a fair amount of coal dust on the walls from when it was used as the coal shed, so it should be pretty easy to disguise.

The Market Stick
19 June 2012, 09:27,
You used to be able to get hardboard that had a brick surface complete with the grooves between the bricks. It was very realistic at a casual glance. My mother had it on her livingroom wall around the fireplace and it looked very much like a brick built chiminey. We only recently replaced it and I'm now wishing I had kept the hardboard. I don't know if it is still availiable.
Another option although heavier is the brick cladding that was popular on ex council houses a few years ago. It must be still available as it has just been used in a local shopping arcade revamp.
19 June 2012, 10:35,
(19 June 2012, 09:27)Dorset Lad Wrote: You used to be able to get hardboard that had a brick surface complete with the grooves between the bricks. It was very realistic at a casual glance. My mother had it on her livingroom wall around the fireplace and it looked very much like a brick built chiminey. We only recently replaced it and I'm now wishing I had kept the hardboard. I don't know if it is still availiable.
Another option although heavier is the brick cladding that was popular on ex council houses a few years ago. It must be still available as it has just been used in a local shopping arcade revamp.

I am going to go for some brick effect wallpaper on some MDF. it should pass the "glance in the dark" test. But I will look out for some hardboard. Thanks for that.
The Market Stick
19 June 2012, 13:22,
Have a look at these.

http://www.panespol.co.uk/department/bri...ct_panels/
19 June 2012, 13:26,
(19 June 2012, 13:22)Dorset Lad Wrote: Have a look at these.

http://www.panespol.co.uk/department/bri...ct_panels/

Nice but jayzus they're expensive! If all else fails I can get artistic and paint it bricky!

The Market Stick
19 June 2012, 13:44,
get some hardbord and bricks, cut bricks in half and fasten to the hardboard, to anybody it will be a wall and stand up to most people looking. After all if its a stash you wont need to get in their unless it really comes down to it righ?
19 June 2012, 13:59,
(19 June 2012, 13:44)James Jackson Wrote: get some hardbord and bricks, cut bricks in half and fasten to the hardboard, to anybody it will be a wall and stand up to most people looking. After all if its a stash you wont need to get in their unless it really comes down to it righ?

Really nice idea that, but we're going to have to rotate stocks in and out of their frequently. So it needs really to be light and easy to move.
The Market Stick
19 June 2012, 18:52,
Put up a frame where you want the panel to be and put a plasterboard panel on it with hinges with thin plasterboard on the other walls.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin