• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stoves
25 June 2012, 04:25,
RE: stoves
(24 June 2012, 16:49)Bug_out_Bag Wrote:
(24 June 2012, 10:16)James Jackson Wrote: found the gel stove for 1.50

http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/product....ng-cookers

its a great stove light and easy to use/store

Thanks for thhe link, I have some of these already and like them alot, I'll get some more a this price Smile

I think you have to spend at least £250 to shop there.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
25 June 2012, 08:21,
That's a very interesting store.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 June 2012, 22:41,
Those gel cookers are really only a tin containing ethanol in a gelled form. The equivalent thing can be bought from food wholesalers cheaply. Also ebay but may be dearer.
They are also used to keep hotplates hot for outdoors caterers. They are very efficient, burn v.hot with no real smell or any smoke. To turn off, just drop the lid back in place. ideal for covert emergency cooking. They are minimal in their bulk. basically you are carrying a can of gel which is the stove in itself. I have a few of these & they do not go off or leak easily! The Tommy cooker was essentially the same thing in the 2ndWW. " empty tins of these, stacked up and with suitable holes perforated in the sides and the main aperture through the middle, will seat a meths burner inside quite nicely and it makes a simple expedient cooker once the gel has run out. The tins also make excellent water tight containers after use & before stove modification.
25 June 2012, 23:59,
(25 June 2012, 22:41)Timelord Wrote: Those gel cookers are really only a tin containing ethanol in a gelled form. The equivalent thing can be bought from food wholesalers cheaply. Also ebay but may be dearer.
They are also used to keep hotplates hot for outdoors caterers. They are very efficient, burn v.hot with no real smell or any smoke. To turn off, just drop the lid back in place. ideal for covert emergency cooking. They are minimal in their bulk. basically you are carrying a can of gel which is the stove in itself. I have a few of these & they do not go off or leak easily! The Tommy cooker was essentially the same thing in the 2ndWW. " empty tins of these, stacked up and with suitable holes perforated in the sides and the main aperture through the middle, will seat a meths burner inside quite nicely and it makes a simple expedient cooker once the gel has run out. The tins also make excellent water tight containers after use & before stove modification.

I buy box of 50 from Makro forget what I paid but yes same thing, nice little can as well.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
26 June 2012, 09:50,
I use an old biscuit tin with sand or dry soil in it, then chuck in some parafin, or meths, or diesel or petrol depending on situation, and light it ( carefully at arms length) bingo one British Army improvised cooker as used by the desert rats in WW2

1 July 2012, 19:16,
One quick idea for an improvised oven that you may or may not have seen that I did recently with the Scout troup I help out with :-
Light a fire in a metal biscuit or sweets tin, if you can find one or any other tin about 10" dia and 5" deep. (cake tin maybe). Cut the top and bottom from a cardboard box just slightly larger than a cooling tray and cover it completely with tinfoil. Also cover a lid for it. Poke a tent peg diagonally through each corner of the box about a third of the way down to support the corners of the cooling tray and put the tray inside and the box over the fire tin supported on bricks, one each side gives enough air space. Put whatever you want to cook inside in a foil tray, put on the lid and wait for it to cook.
I was surprised how well it worked and only one of the boxes started to smoulder. Probably not covered properly but half a cup of water saved it.
1 July 2012, 20:18,
i use an army meths stove that also holds a gel burner, though im thinking of cutting the back end of the wind shield as it will then be a wood burner as well.. its also not too bad as it is only 1400g with both burners

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?...uct_id=392