Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I - Should I cook solar in the winter?
24 June 2012, 12:31,
Can I - Should I cook solar in the winter?
http://www.preparedsociety.com/entries/C...inter.html

24 June 2012, 16:13,
RE: Can I - Should I cook solar in the winter?

And here's how to make one!

Never used or made one myself.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
24 June 2012, 16:55,
I like the idea of one of these especially to conserve fuel. If it was your only means of cooking, at the moment, I think you'd be a bit stuffed considering what the weather is currently like.
24 June 2012, 18:05,
how well would they work in uk weather? Are they light controled or can they crage up a power surply, as if thier was volcanic ash, overcast (the normal uk weather) how long would it take to boil water. I'm not holding too much faith in it for uk as sun isnt too reliable.....
24 June 2012, 20:12,
I know of a family in Calcary , Canada who use one of these solar ovens quite a lot so I'm assuming it will work some times in the UK cos we are on the same latitude.

24 June 2012, 21:29,
Britains particular set of weather conditions make it one of the cloudiest nations.
25 June 2012, 05:37,
It would be difficult to use solar cooking in Scotland. However, if you have sufficient sun to boil a meal, when it has reached the boiling stage, remove to a hay box to continue the cooking. You would need to wait about eight hours for the meal to cook, but at least you will have a cooked meal. Kenneth Eames.
25 June 2012, 08:39,

I was thinking the same thing KE. I'm also a fan of thermos cooking.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
25 June 2012, 15:25,
I'm a fan of thermos cooking too. Prepare food overnight and place in thermos and its ready for breakfast the following morning. Great starter for the day. Kenneth Eames.