Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn TL and W & C
26 June 2012, 09:46,
Attn TL and W & C
Guys I wonder if I could pick your brains and educational skills a bit.

I'm reading up about the Theraband stuff and crossbow mods both of you display some expertise in. It got me thinking about how easy could it be to make or modify an old crossbow, or to jerry rig thise theraband stuff to a rifle or bowstock and make something like a spear gun or high powered 9 mm ball bearing launcher that uses this super elastic rather than a fibreglass limb ???

I appreciate range would be reduced, but so would the bulk of the tool making it good for close quarters or indoor security stuff/

What do you two engineering types reckon ?

26 June 2012, 11:17,
RE: Attn TL and W & C
http://www.crossbows4u.co.uk/#/eagle-pro/4539742904

Ball bearing firing crossbow Smile

Expensive though
26 June 2012, 16:01, (This post was last modified: 26 June 2012, 16:06 by Nemesis.)
Hi NR funny enough I am planning on going back to making weaps and have a few in mind regards the asda bands or flat bands, I will be making YouTube videos and flat bands will play a large part in my designs, and wasp darts which I just got 100 of.

Bear with me I am building a workshop and changed plan from a small add-on to a 18x10 new build, this is at the forefront of things to do, but expect a small copper tube wasp gun soon.
(26 June 2012, 11:17)00111001 Wrote: http://www.crossbows4u.co.uk/#/eagle-pro/4539742904

Ball bearing firing crossbow Smile

Expensive though

I was close "again" to buying a Talon last week, even rang the bloke, my problem I don't really want to invest £500 into something made in China.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
26 June 2012, 22:09, (This post was last modified: 26 June 2012, 22:26 by Timelord.)
There are some USA folks on utube building stuff like elastic powered crossbow type affairs. I can not remember any links but you should be able to find it quite easily doing a search on utube. It must be borne in mind, that what testing looks good on line is not necessarily the complete sequence of events in reality and also most of the stuff is tested when it is recently built and so does not take in to account robustness of longevity. These last two are crucial requirements.

As I said on another post recently - the OSS during the 2ndWW experimented with elastic powered bolt firers and similar weapons and whilst some achieved impressive results, the lifespan of the elastic was minimal. It would stretch or fray or shred or snap or any combination of these. This was due to the high loading of a weapon the size of a crossbow or similar. For smaller projectile weapons, then the elastic performed ok. By the time these experiments were complete, it had become apparent that the spys and Resistance behind German lines could be equipped with expedient 1 shot or "Liberator" pistols more easily.

For elastic, you need a weapon design that does not require too great a force to be asked of the elastic and so a lighter projectile is also beneficial. The stretch wants to be momentary and not held in the cocked position. The launching distance wants to be long to achieve greater acceleration with a lower force. Much like a catapult! lol

I will give you one great piece of advice >>> Go buy this book >>>>"The Practical Guide to MAN-POWERED WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION" by Richard Middleton.

It will all make sense after that.....

Regards, TL
SOE, not OSS!! Got mixed up nationalities..Rolleyes
27 June 2012, 08:53,
" The stretch wants to be momentary and not held in the cocked position."

Is that a key criteria mon ami ?, it makes sense to me.

27 June 2012, 10:25,
Yes!.
27 June 2012, 10:33,
Thanks,

Hey have to add that this forum rocks primarily because of the especially high quality of the contributions both you and W & C provide for us, I want you guys to know your efforts are appreciated even if we dont always tell you so.

27 June 2012, 10:36,
Ditto
27 June 2012, 10:51,
(27 June 2012, 10:36)Timelord Wrote: Ditto

Hey I'm cabbage green when compared to you two's engineering skills.