Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A great book!
30 June 2012, 05:40,
A great book!
i just wanted to share one of my favourite books

http://enterthepassage.com/the-passage/

basically its about a vampire style apocalypse, imagine the quintessential zombie apocalypse but replace zombies with badass vampire type things and a brilliant and well thought out story and you'll get this wonderful book!

i highly recommend it, not only is it a great apocalypse tale, but its amazingly well written and really really engaging! if you like your fiction read this Smile
1 July 2012, 21:48,
RE: A great book!
Might have to check this out, thanks Smile

I'll throw a recommendation out too, I don't know how well known it is though so forgive me if you've all read it, but check out The Chinaman by Stephen Leather.
About 10 years ago I went through a stage of reading a book per week, and this is one of the few that really stick out.

Copy/pasted review from amazon to give you the idea:

When a chinese takeaway owner looses his wife and daughter to an IRA bomb, he wants to make sure the people responsible are punished by the law. Unfortunately he is passed from pillar to post and cannot understand why the police cannot just arrest them. When all else fails he sets out on his own mission to avenge his loved ones. Using the skills he learn't whilst fighting in the jungles of Vietnam he turns his attention to the terrorists and takes on the IRA. Totally gripping and extremely well written.
1 July 2012, 22:41,
I've got that book. One of his best I thought.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 01:01,
(1 July 2012, 21:48)HunterNurturer Wrote: Might have to check this out, thanks Smile

I'll throw a recommendation out too, I don't know how well known it is though so forgive me if you've all read it, but check out The Chinaman by Stephen Leather.
About 10 years ago I went through a stage of reading a book per week, and this is one of the few that really stick out.

Copy/pasted review from amazon to give you the idea:

When a chinese takeaway owner looses his wife and daughter to an IRA bomb, he wants to make sure the people responsible are punished by the law. Unfortunately he is passed from pillar to post and cannot understand why the police cannot just arrest them. When all else fails he sets out on his own mission to avenge his loved ones. Using the skills he learn't whilst fighting in the jungles of Vietnam he turns his attention to the terrorists and takes on the IRA. Totally gripping and extremely well written.

well that sounds fantastic! ill have to check that out too ^^

hah! good to have some fellow book worms :~) when i was at secondary school i used to read a novel every night before i went to sleep lol.....although i dont read as much now i do love a good book Smile

also a good author is china mieville he's becoming reasonably well known as of late but he has written some superb novels, i would recommend more but i simply cannot remember any xD...ill go have a look in our library xD
2 July 2012, 07:58,
i dont really like "Zombie" fiction(Ditto Vampires) as i dont think we'll have legions of the undead walking around after TSHTF, i prefer more "man alone" type writing.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 July 2012, 09:03,
(2 July 2012, 07:58)bigpaul Wrote: i dont really like "Zombie" fiction(Ditto Vampires) as i dont think we'll have legions of the undead walking around after TSHTF, i prefer more "man alone" type writing.

I enjoy some of the Zombie genre, but I do like stuff like Alas Babylon and Earth abides type stuff as well.

2 July 2012, 09:13,
(2 July 2012, 09:03)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 July 2012, 07:58)bigpaul Wrote: i dont really like "Zombie" fiction(Ditto Vampires) as i dont think we'll have legions of the undead walking around after TSHTF, i prefer more "man alone" type writing.

I enjoy some of the Zombie genre, but I do like stuff like Alas Babylon and Earth abides type stuff as well.

i'm reading Earth Abides at the mo, only got to the part where he meets the female, its all heavy breathing and Darling, darling all the time:Big Grin my copy of A Distant Eden is sitting on the shelf to be read next.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.