Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical Question For our Signals Officers
1 July 2012, 14:50,
Technical Question For our Signals Officers
Ok techies

I've got this Intek H520 coming it runs on 6 x 1.5 volt Nimhs or Allalines = 9 Vdc ( I think) or via a vehicle adaptor that plus into the cigarette socket that drops the car supply to the radio supply.

SOooooooooooooo Smile

How do I power it from the 220 volt AC mains when the transformers / reducers are apparently 12 or 13.4 VDC and not 9Vdc??

Gracias
Danke
Merci
Thanks
Cheers
1 July 2012, 16:49,
RE: Technical Question For our Signals Officers
(1 July 2012, 14:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ok techies

I've got this Intek H520 coming it runs on 6 x 1.5 volt Nimhs or Allalines = 9 Vdc ( I think) or via a vehicle adaptor that plus into the cigarette socket that drops the car supply to the radio supply.

SOooooooooooooo Smile

How do I power it from the 220 volt AC mains when the transformers / reducers are apparently 12 or 13.4 VDC and not 9Vdc??

Gracias
Danke
Merci
Thanks
Cheers

Many of the better switch mode power supplies deliver 12v to both terminals and a cigarette lighter socket.

Alternatively pop along to halfords and buy a cogarette lighter extension unit and wire that to your 12 v transformer.

Then you can use your rigs 12v cig plug transformer to power it up.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 July 2012, 17:25,
Dear Jim L Fixit, Smile Ta very much, that makes sense.

Now keep your eyes on the night sky, if you see a bright light and a mushroom cloud on the horizon you know I've been pl;aying with electricity Smile
1 July 2012, 20:06,
Quick tip on these power supplies...the heavier they are - usually the better they are , also try and get one with as high an amp rating as possible , IIRC the standard used to be 3.5A ,get that or higher if using as a home base-station....crocodile clips onto a standard car battery also worked well.

Disclaimer - I'm talking with experience behind the advice , but that advice is stretching on 20 yrs old now , I was using the american A.M rigs illegally here before we adopted the F.M system we now have , and I used the UK system extensively for a few years. Better range with the US system , but with sound issues.

Using CBs and more importantly - handhelds , the ground geography is the most important factor , forest / woods = low range.
On hilltops = good range , in a valley = limited range.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.