Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB " Burners" ??
1 July 2012, 22:16,
CB " Burners" ??
So what do our comrades know about burner amps, and where can someone hypothetically get say a 10 or 20 watt one from that wont blow up in my face ?
NR

1 July 2012, 22:23,
RE: CB " Burners" ??
Hi NR , your mileage may vary using a burner.

Most of the ones I used didnt last too long , but they were great for what we called DXing when the conditions were correct.
CB was swamped by the italians many years back , we sometimes got these conditions where it was easier to communicate with italians than people just down the road from you.

Consequently , most of the burners I used were italian in make.
I don't think theyre illegal to sell , try ebay mate.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
1 July 2012, 22:43,
The problem with them is they throw out a large local area of interference. have the neighbours up in arms although I would guess with everything digital it may not be as easily recognised.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 July 2012, 22:44,
Easy peasy.
I'll be a nerd though and point out that burners are illegal BUT as a CB'r of VERY OLD, who cares!

Burners are dead easy to get hold of. Hamfests are the best place. Look for HF mobile types. Having said that, Truck master do a 30 watt one for £40.
Problem is they guzzle loads of power with a 25 watt one eating upwards of 4 amps if not more on top of what your rig uses.
Now before the experts say Boll****, my baby one does but I'm running an old MOSFET type.
Most of my losses are due to it running hot and is VERY OLD (just like me).
Modern ones are more efficient BUT better warned than ignored.

Also check the maximum power you can put into it. Sometimes the newer models only need low power to "sing nicely".

Connection
Rig---patch lead 1---SWR---patch---Burner--->>> out

As for not going bang, set up as above.
keep you rig on low power and swr the input into the burner. It's important to do this as some burners aren't set up too well and you don't want to hit it with full power and blow up your rig. If it is a bad swr i.e. >1.5 and you're a bit unsure get help to set it up if you're not technical.

Once you have done the input, re-rig:-
Rig---patch lead 1---burner---patch lead---swr--->>>out.

Still on low power, check the swr on the aerial. It will change. All to do with the extra coax you've added.

Once in tune, away you go.

CAUTION, you know already how hot your rig runs. Keep an eye on it for a while. If it starts to glow, recheck the swr on both sides.

Size???
Maximum I have used was 5KW. AM-SSB days in the 80's when we used to Buck Fusby. (Old Cb'ers will appreciate that one).

One last caution. Burners are notorious for causing interference to TV's and Hifi's ESPECIALLY if your aerial is out of tune.

1 July 2012, 23:01,
(1 July 2012, 22:44)Paul Wrote: Size???
Maximum I have used was 5KW. AM-SSB days in the 80's when we used to Buck Fusby. (Old Cb'ers will appreciate that one).

One last caution. Burners are notorious for causing interference to TV's and Hifi's ESPECIALLY if your aerial is out of tune.

LoL , bringing back memories long forgotten here mate.

' Chap at the door - next door complaining there TV has started to grow lines going down it ' LOL.

Yeah , and avoiding the dreaded yellow detector vans....

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
1 July 2012, 23:22,
(1 July 2012, 22:43)Skean Dhude Wrote: The problem with them is they throw out a large local area of interference. have the neighbours up in arms although I would guess with everything digital it may not be as easily recognised.

All down to the tuning although with the use of plastics in almost everything, you do get a bit more "splatter" and crazy lines.

AS for the neighbours, consider that the Radio interference blokes don't make house calls now like they used to in the 80's.

Besides it's dead easy to check. Rubber band your rig on and play the radio alongside it. Go next door and ask if they are getting weird TV reception.
Works everytime. If they are you blame the local taxi firm.
Simple!

2 July 2012, 08:54, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 08:56 by NorthernRaider.)
Hmmmm, this info is most useful, I suppose I could get a 10 watt burner from some place, ensure it works, then cache it until TSHF, As keen as I am for extra reach with my radio, I'm equally keen to keep playing the grey man and not raise my profile any higher than neccessary., Especially as the BT depot is only a few hundred yards away !!!
Another fing to ponder, we switch over to digital this munf, I wonder if 27 AM or FM will affect the Digital TV or SKY systems?

2 July 2012, 09:22,
One other thing to consider. Upping the power ups your power requirements and reduces the life of your components. You should really only use it when you have to.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 10:49,
(2 July 2012, 08:54)NorthernRaider Wrote: Hmmmm, this info is most useful, I suppose I could get a 10 watt burner from some place, ensure it works, then cache it until TSHF, As keen as I am for extra reach with my radio, I'm equally keen to keep playing the grey man and not raise my profile any higher than neccessary., Especially as the BT depot is only a few hundred yards away !!!
Another fing to ponder, we switch over to digital this munf, I wonder if 27 AM or FM will affect the Digital TV or SKY systems?

It's not power that makes you stand out NR it's your aerial setup.
Going covert to me is a must especially in a built up area.
As detailed elsewhere, I use a wire antenna hidden beneath the eves of the bungalow. Works a treat, cost very little, and unless you knew it was there, not readily visible from the road.

That and REALLY REALLY good tuning of your aerial and care when routing your cables.

As for a burner? 30 watts SSB / AM / FM most nights hasn't affected my neighbour just 15 yards away and he is one of the biggest techno-lovie I've ever known with tellies in every room and a quad sound system to end all sound systems. Believe me I've checked repeatedly.
Why? 'cause he's a rozzer.

2 July 2012, 10:53,
(2 July 2012, 10:49)Paul Wrote:
(2 July 2012, 08:54)NorthernRaider Wrote: Hmmmm, this info is most useful, I suppose I could get a 10 watt burner from some place, ensure it works, then cache it until TSHF, As keen as I am for extra reach with my radio, I'm equally keen to keep playing the grey man and not raise my profile any higher than neccessary., Especially as the BT depot is only a few hundred yards away !!!

It's not power that makes you stand out NR it's your aerial setup.
Going covert to me is a must especially in a built up area.
As detailed elsewhere, I use a wire antenna hidden beneath the eves of the bungalow. Works a treat, cost very little, and unless you knew it was there, not readily visible from the road.

That and REALLY REALLY good tuning of your aerial and care when routing your cables.

As for a burner? 30 watts SSB / AM / FM most nights hasn't affected my neighbour just 15 yards away and he is one of the biggest techno-lovie I've ever known with tellies in every room and a quad sound system to end all sound systems. Believe me I've checked repeatedly.
Why? 'cause he's a rozzer.

Please explain wire CB aerials in more depth, I really need to understand this stuff better.