Poll: What do you expect from prepper comms net?
A only
B only
C only
A and B
A and C
B and C
A, B and C
Not interested in comms
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you expect from prepper comms net?
2 July 2012, 13:47, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 13:49 by Skvez.)
What do you expect from prepper comms net?
We're discussing a lot about equipment and networks. I see three "needs" from a communications network and wonder which you are all seeing and what you require from a prepper communicaions network.

A] Local communications to members of your local group.
Someone goes out hunting or even to the outhouse at the bottom of the garden you should have a better way of contacting them than opening a window and shouting. If they see someone approaching your position or vice-versa there is value in all members of your group being made aware of this.

B] Short distance communications to other preppers within a days walk of your group.
These are people that in an event you probably won't see very often you it's nice to know that they’re there. You can warn them of 'groups of interest' in your area and vice-versa. In the case of a serious trouble you may even call them for back-up but they probably won't arrive in time to be of any use except in a siege situation.

C] Long distance communications to other preppers may days travel away. Groups in different parts of the country keeping in touch with each other Such as a group in Cornwall communication with one in Wales communicating with one in Scotland and so on. There is little realistic chance of physical interaction between these groups but some advantage in terms of warning of national events (such as rioting that may spread or collapse of government infrastructure). Probably most use as an event unfolds assuming the media is censored or off the air.

They way I see it
PMR 446 is 'best' for A
CB is 'best' for B
Ham is 'best' for C
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 July 2012, 14:12,
RE: What do you expect from prepper comms net?
Skvez,

We are not looking at short range comms in this network. We can all sort out short term comms ourselves. If it gets really bad we can use flags, smoke signals or waving. Longer distance is the issue where we need technical advice. No short range solution is going to allow you to communicate with me. (That may be a good thing Smile ) That is what we are investigating here.

I agree with your rough conclusions.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 14:44,
Skean,

I agree that everyone can work out their own short range communication.
I hope the poll isn't pointless but it was to try and ensure that everyone knew what the communication network discussions were about.
My fear is that we may end up with a communication map that has too few too circules of coverage and that they just don't interlink.

.bmp   SUK S.bmp (Size: 13.35 KB / Downloads: 4)
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 July 2012, 15:14,
(2 July 2012, 13:47)Skvez Wrote: We're discussing a lot about equipment and networks. I see three "needs" from a communications network and wonder which you are all seeing and what you require from a prepper communicaions network.

A] Local communications to members of your local group.
Someone goes out hunting or even to the outhouse at the bottom of the garden you should have a better way of contacting them than opening a window and shouting. If they see someone approaching your position or vice-versa there is value in all members of your group being made aware of this.

B] Short distance communications to other preppers within a days walk of your group.
These are people that in an event you probably won't see very often you it's nice to know that they’re there. You can warn them of 'groups of interest' in your area and vice-versa. In the case of a serious trouble you may even call them for back-up but they probably won't arrive in time to be of any use except in a siege situation.

C] Long distance communications to other preppers may days travel away. Groups in different parts of the country keeping in touch with each other Such as a group in Cornwall communication with one in Wales communicating with one in Scotland and so on. There is little realistic chance of physical interaction between these groups but some advantage in terms of warning of national events (such as rioting that may spread or collapse of government infrastructure). Probably most use as an event unfolds assuming the media is censored or off the air.

They way I see it
PMR 446 is 'best' for A
CB is 'best' for B
Ham is 'best' for C
Skvez

I've selected B&C for Comms NETWORK requirement

I agree with your breakdown of the three ideal communications types and solution technologies.

I feel that close range communications will be an ad-hoc affair, and not strictly part of the core Network. Protocols to allow preppers to communicate safely between themselves on PMR446 will be useful, but the complexity of making a networks solution from such ad-hock groups is excessivs and probably un-realisable. However PMR446 could be a good way for closed local communities to get messages to and from the network via local network hubs.

Agreed with your fear of isolated circles of activity this is a very real possibility. The solution we need should have enough overlapping coverage and station redundancy to prevent this happening.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 16:42,
It's me, Mr Paranoid again!
I'd just like to ring the caution bell a little regarding ham equipment.

I look at all you SGC holders first.
You're on file. Name, address, and what you hold.
Licenced hams are the same(ish). You're on a government list too.
Easy to find, easy to visit.

CB might not be good for reliable long LONG distance comms BUT it's not licenced or even closely regulated and I can't think when I last saw a telecomms wagon trawling for bad boys.
That makes it untraceable by the average idiot sent round by the government to confiscate things.

After all I read an article recently about TPTB considering turning off cellular and internet connections if the UK riots kick off again. "Mission creep" is the expression that comes into mind. Something TPTB are very good at doing.
My worry is that in the event of a large civil or military event, you're all going to get a visit.

It's part of military thinking 101 anyway.
You want to overthrow a country?
Grap all the weapons, DENY FREE COMMUNICATIONS and block all free travel.

Inter town / village comms might be all you can get away with.

Just a cautionary thought.
(Now where's that valium packet?)

2 July 2012, 16:54,
Yup I agree, stuff that requires licences puts you on their radar, I dont mind CB, Pirate or Freebanding, but licences could mean trouble.
And i have no doubt at all the govt will tray and sieze control or deny service of any comms system that may help naughty people.

2 July 2012, 16:54,
I understand the paranoia. We all have it to some extent.

You just have to decide where you draw the line. Some people see risks differently. btw : Unlike firearms having ham equipment without a license is not illegal. We can buy the kit, test it and then store it until a 'rainy' day.

Skvez,

Short range comms is not forgotten. I think we are covering that with what we are doing and an article to tidy up and define a summary of the options will not go amiss at the right stage.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 23:17,
I've voted B and C as the options we need to consider for a prepper network, I also think we need to keep A in mind so that we can still communicate with each other in the event that we are outside our own community.

CB definitely best for B

Either ham or the CB / 10m SSB sets for C, eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEK-HR-5500-...4604426175 especially coupled with a burner to push the power. Quite a few hams also join in on the freeband frequencies and the sets will cover 27/81 as well.
3 July 2012, 11:46,
The 5500 could be the model I saw on you tube that can be erm " adjusted" to give to 12 watts instead of four.

3 July 2012, 16:36,
For a PSHTF network, we do not need to be worrying about what is free to air and what isn't. It is highly unlikely that preppers will be spending time on the airwaves chatting on whatever network gets devised in the time now before any event. Any that find the desire to do this type of hobby will probably fit the Ham profile anyway. All we need is the kit that we can use after TSHTF and some knowledge of how to use it. As for this repeated going on about SGC holders being on the radar and hams now the same - let it be realised, that by posting on forums such as this, you are operating in an area likely to be of much more interest to the authorities as potential homegrown terrorists! So talking about trying to stay off the radar is only drawing even more attention to your individual selves. Those SGC holders and hams who are on official registrars are already passed by the authorities as being viewed as responsible and law abiding enough to hold the firearms and to not possess any risk by doing so. Users of this site who post about killing people, weapons, illegal drugs and much other stuff, are far more likely to be on the official radar than anyone else!!! So if you do post stuff in that vein, then be careful how you describe your activities, what you imply and be open in your attitude, not furtive and talking about avoiding the authorities. That is just raising their awareness.

For the network, I am of the understanding that it is about nationwide comms. That is longer range and so we can dispense with discussing the PMR and similar kit. How many threads do we need open on this?? No wonder we can not get any consensus. We need one focus and one person who starts discussion threads on this. Otherwise we are just going over the same ground amongst dispersed new ideas/threads.