Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar Panels in a SHTF scenario
11 July 2012, 15:45,
Solar Panels in a SHTF scenario
I'm assuming that currently roof based solar panels are plugged directly into the mains box a house.

If so would it be possible to rig up the solar panels and use them to power Lights, White Goods, Computers etc not through the mains box?
11 July 2012, 15:57, (This post was last modified: 11 July 2012, 15:59 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Solar Panels in a SHTF scenario
(11 July 2012, 15:45)Jan Wrote: I'm assuming that currently roof based solar panels are plugged directly into the mains box a house.

If so would it be possible to rig up the solar panels and use them to power Lights, White Goods, Computers etc not through the mains box?

I do not believer they are Sir, I believe PV panels charge batteries after being fed by a charge controlling device. from there you can run a 12VDC system in the house low voltage lights, kettle, microwave, washers, radio etc, Or you run it by a black box doofah that will bump it to 220Vac to run SOME items in the house. I believe ( W & C will correct as necc) that an average domestic PV set up wont provide mains power fdor an entire house.
My own PV ambitions are very modest, one decent sized panel that I can keep a couple of deep cycle liesure batteries chjarged up with to provide basic lighting via very low voltage high output LED lights in a living area, and be able to power / recharge radios , pcs etc.

I'm not loaded like some on this forum Smile

11 July 2012, 22:06,
Thanks for the knowledgeable info, I thought if there where spare panels lying about on roofs doing nothing somebody could make use of them in certain scenario's, Thought it would save me the possibility of buying a portable setup....then again I couldn't afford that either.
11 July 2012, 22:18,
(11 July 2012, 22:06)Jan Wrote: Thanks for the knowledgeable info, I thought if there where spare panels lying about on roofs doing nothing somebody could make use of them in certain scenario's, Thought it would save me the possibility of buying a portable setup....then again I couldn't afford that either.

Your plan would work, IE snaffling abandoned PV panels from abandoned properties, just snaffle the charging system and batteries as well.

My own eye is fixed on the multi PV and micro wind turbine powered road signs around here, after TSHTF if the power fails I'm off out with a giant set of pipe cutters.

11 July 2012, 22:30,
are those the ones on top of the lights? I was seeing them when i was going close to the moterway, they do look of use. I wouldnt want anythnig too big though, if you have lots of big solar pannels ect they will be very easy to spot and tell people somebody lives thier. I would be wanting to be more hidden, paint the small wind and solar things once taken and put them up not so close to where i was, collect the batterys when charged up
11 July 2012, 22:38, (This post was last modified: 11 July 2012, 22:41 by NorthernRaider.)
(11 July 2012, 22:30)James Jackson Wrote: are those the ones on top of the lights? I was seeing them when i was going close to the moterway, they do look of use. I wouldnt want anythnig too big though, if you have lots of big solar pannels ect they will be very easy to spot and tell people somebody lives thier. I would be wanting to be more hidden, paint the small wind and solar things once taken and put them up not so close to where i was, collect the batterys when charged up

Sometimes a micro turbine and a 2 ft by 18 inch panel are used to power some lights, but more often they power warning signs on b roads such as BEND ahead. I would rather jerry rig a few small ones plus a few PV panels discretely than have a huge array.
This looks interesting AND affordable

http://www.dragonsbreathsolar.co.uk/sola...90i8dr7lb1

11 July 2012, 22:58,
for me i would only be using it for the freezer and fridge, i could use fires for light or lantarn, i have tonns of candles im getting a few a week, the 160 hour ones. I think for power food storage is the most important use, maybe if you have a second pannel system you can set security devices, like a cam system up
12 July 2012, 00:04,
(11 July 2012, 15:45)Jan Wrote: I'm assuming that currently roof based solar panels are plugged directly into the mains box a house.

I built my solar setup to be off the grid, this means no I cannot power Major appliance "white goods" well I could but my system would die quite fast, the idea of my build is to offer recharge or charge ability for all my devices (torches, mobile radio comms, power packs and so on) as for lighting we run a 12v light system to our home if needed for power cuts or a major event.

My system offers enough power to purify water and cook and use most electric tools, I can run cctv via a computer I built and TVs and so on, it is quite fun for everyday and a welcome thing to have in any event.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
12 July 2012, 04:38,
(11 July 2012, 22:30)James Jackson Wrote: are those the ones on top of the lights? I was seeing them when i was going close to the moterway, they do look of use. I wouldnt want anythnig too big though, if you have lots of big solar pannels ect they will be very easy to spot and tell people somebody lives thier. I would be wanting to be more hidden, paint the small wind and solar things once taken and put them up not so close to where i was, collect the batterys when charged up

Do what I did. Solar panels on the shed roof, clear poly sheeting over them like I'd temporarily re-covered the shed roof.
You can't see the panels, just a few cm of the wiring.
Only comment I've had from my EXTREMELY nosey neighbour was "when are you going to re-felt it then?"

12 July 2012, 13:24,
Quote:I'm assuming that currently roof based solar panels are plugged directly into the mains box a house

PV (Photo Voltaic) panels produce low Voltage DC.
PV systems can be grouped a number of ways but lets consider this grouping of 4.

1] Power supplied at DC, usually used to charge DC batteries. Power is then drawn off the batteries at DC to power small devices (low voltage lights / radios etc). Entirely separated from the 230V mains power.

2] Grid tied system. Power from the PV is inverted up to AC and synchronised with the mains to reduce your electricity bill, these systems usually need the mains to create the sign wave for them to lock onto and don't do anything if the mains fails. As a result these are not the systems that preppers want.

3] Off-grid systems. Arguable a sub-set of type [1]. PV charges a bank of batteries and these batteries are inverted up to 230V a.c. to power normal AC appliances.

4] Duel system: A combination of [2] and [3] where the PV power is useful both before and after a mains failure. This is the most useful system for preppers and not surprisingly is also the most expensive.

Quote: for me I would only be using it for the freezer and fridge
Unfortunately that's a big *only*. The power consumption of fridge and freezer are significant, lighting (assuming you use energy efficient lamps) is small in comparison.
None of us should even be considering using PV for heating or cooking as the power requirements are unrealistic. I did an article on solar that you can find in the site archives.

Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?